One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-29 22:50:08

TrustyWay

[Survey] Has the game really become boring ?

There have been lots of discussion about that. Let's make a survey to know if they game has really become boring ?  If you think I should have choosed different questions, tell me.

Edited : https://strawpoll.com/rg25r6y9

Wait few days before already assuming the results.

Sorry for my english mistakes, I'm a foreigner.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-10-29 22:56:46)

#2 2018-10-29 23:17:30

MultiLife

Re: [Survey] Has the game really become boring ?

Damn, none of those. My answer:
No, it's not boring to me yet. But I am not too interested in most updates.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2018-10-29 23:39:07

Dacen

how many time have you played ? Maybe it's not the game who became boring, just you who is bored to death.

#4 2018-10-30 01:08:53

VioletLily

MultiLife wrote:

Damn, none of those. My answer:
No, it's not boring to me yet. But I am not too interested in most updates.

Same with me tbh. Although I am taking a small break from the game, but that's simply because I was playing to much. Anything can be boring if done too often.

I have nothing against the newer bug fixing updates though. There were a lot of bugs and mechanics that needed to be fixed before new content was added. I was starting to worry this game would go the way of Sims 3: adding more and more content without fixing bugs and flaws in the game, resulting in a massive broken game. I am extremely happy that Jason is addressing the flaws in the game rather than focusing on new content at the moment.

That being said, the few content updates that have come out recently have been iffy, which I am guessing is what you were referring to, in which I would have to agree. Dogs were the worst. They became pests rather than lovable pets.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-10-30 03:53:31)

#5 2018-10-30 03:02:17

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, dogs in real life, for the most part, have no purpose other than as companions.

I mean, yeah, there are working dogs, but I bet 95% of the dog owners that play this game don't have working dogs.  They have companion dogs, which are otherwise useless.

So I added a bunch of companion dogs to the game.  Then everyone complained that they are useless.

There are going to be LOTS of things like this in the game.  Things that are in there just because our world has them.  Things that don't serve a specific purpose in gameplay terms.  Like dyes and paints.  Like colored roses.  Or roses in general.  Dogs are in that category.  There may be some working dogs in the future, but the engine doesn't really support intelligent animal behaviors currently.

#6 2018-10-30 04:51:20

VioletLily

jasonrohrer wrote:

Well, dogs in real life, for the most part, have no purpose other than as companions.

I mean, yeah, there are working dogs, but I bet 95% of the dog owners that play this game don't have working dogs.  They have companion dogs, which are otherwise useless.

So I added a bunch of companion dogs to the game.  Then everyone complained that they are useless.

There are going to be LOTS of things like this in the game.  Things that are in there just because our world has them.  Things that don't serve a specific purpose in gameplay terms.  Like dyes and paints.  Like colored roses.  Or roses in general.  Dogs are in that category.  There may be some working dogs in the future, but the engine doesn't really support intelligent animal behaviors currently.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the work you do.

The problem with dogs was that they take up too much space and give nothing in return, company or otherwise. I have a companion dog irl. She doesn't keep me from putting objects down. She also prefers me over other people. Dogs in the game simply caused too many problems while giving nothing in return.

Now, if they were given a benefit (like maybe they could attack snakes, bears, wolves, or boars) people would actually use them.

If you are truly going for the companion dog route, you should allow people to name the dogs and become their masters. As it is, it is impossible to tell one dog of the same species from another, so it is very hard to become attached to them. A dog should prefer following their master (the person who named it) over other people. The docile dog should be able to stand on occupied tiles. Maybe even allow your dog to be seen on the family tree (this might be a little much?). They would still have no purpose, but at least they could make people happy smile

The dog update was huge, and I'm really sorry it didn't go over well. I think the biggest problem was that you understood people's want for dogs while missing the reasons they wanted them.

Also some of the things you mentioned do have a purpose.

Paint keeps adobe walls from crumbling. It is very useful in that regard. The issue people have with it this time is that it is too costly. One bucket of paint for a one meter wall (both sides), so one bucket for 2 meters of wall. That is a lot of paint on a single wall. I could easily paint an small room with a single bucket of paint irl.

Dyes reset decay timers, so are useful for keeping clothes for longer.

I'm not trying to complain. I really appreciate all the work you put into this game. I can't even imagine how hard and time-consuming it is to do all this on your own. I just hope that a little constructive criticism can help point you in the right direction when it comes to new content.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-10-30 04:51:57)

#7 2018-10-30 05:04:54

Tarr
Banned

jasonrohrer wrote:

I think the problem with dogs was a combination of them being useless on release and them being completely botched. The dog update was cute for the first ten or so minutes with everyone liking having dogs around. It wasn't until cities got so flooded you had to suicide out of them that everyone hated dogs. If dogs weren't a mess on release the update might have been seen in a better light even if they were still useless at the end of the day.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2018-10-30 05:19:10

MultiLife

Vanity and entertainment can be great, I like roses and I hope there will be more landscaping or decoration stuff that are not too costly (can be time consuming though) to make places prettier but also work as landmarks or such. Also dyes and paint do make things better as well as 'prettier' so those are great (paint is too costly though).

Dogs... ugh. In a survival game that is not on modern day level, companion dogs do nothing but block you from doing stuff. They are zig zagging restlessly constantly, can't hold things, don't follow you (like after you in a line, imagine if one could bring a basket with you!) or anything. In real life a zig zagging restless dog is at least fun to take to a park and watch but in a game like this, nope! Companion dogs have saved people from bears in real life (also from other threats like snakes), so they are not just moving creatures in our irl lives. But I do understand there are limitations to AI here. I just wasn't interested in dogs, and didn't really want them, would have liked them better as a snare (drop dog on bunny, dog catches bunny).

VioletLily wrote:

That being said, the few content updates that have come out recently have been iffy, which I am guessing is what you were referring to, in which I would have to agree. Dogs were the worst. They became pests rather than lovable pets.

Yes, I was referring to content updates. big_smile

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-10-30 07:26:27)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#9 2018-10-30 07:14:14

Aurora Aurora

Where’s the “The updates are shitty but I still love to play the game on a daily basis” option?

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#10 2018-10-30 07:27:24

Go! Bwah!

VioletLily wrote:

The problem with dogs was that they take up too much space and give nothing in return, company or otherwise.

Maybe they didn't give you anything, but they gave me enjoyment.

I know I'm in the minority there, but we're each allowed to play a different game, even if we're playing the same game.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#11 2018-10-30 08:38:48

Dodge

I agree, i feel like the game is turning into a work/tedious task simulator

Im all about nerfing ressources but if it comes at the cost of doing more of the same tedious work instead of challenging and fun stuff then meh

If villages would be closer but ressources even more rare it could make it so much more interesting, we could have trade and wars between the different cities, we would have walled cities to protect these ressources, alliances between cities would be created etc

And if a city or village dies and we have to start over again it would be because of mistakes made by the players that didnt manage the ressources properly and not because of the game mechanic that forces you to spawn 10k from any civilisation and start over again all the time

"Nothing lasts" is a great concept but it should be caused by the players and inevitability of ressources running out and not forced by the game mechanic that makes you start over far away from any other civilisation

#12 2018-10-30 13:13:15

Aname

I want a huge update with many new things too build!
i dont need new food and new skins idc about that.

i just want to build something really big.

maybe even explore caves or something like that that i need to make a torch and need to bring food and clothes too explore the cave for special things like minerals diamonds gold and that sort of stuff.

making fancy things like a scepter diamond ring. or a statue of the eve who started the lineage idc. just something fancy or big.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#13 2018-10-30 15:16:04

Sharlank

The poll is very skewed since people who stopped playing aren't likely to see this poll and the "main" audience that will see the poll is people actively involved with the game => More likely to get a "I'm satisfied" response.

#14 2019-02-13 17:04:47

rittler

Hi Developers, I know making game is hard and fixing bugs even harder.

I play once a week, and recently I notice, this game is losing direction, and indeed it a bit boring lately.

why? I able to create a Crude Airplane while my mama using flat stone to cook an Omelet? oh cmooon dude... XD
https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/ … /fly/1903/

why no start read history? do research to any Tech, Clothing, or Food from the old Ages (Stone Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age).
there are a lot of things we missed before this "Crude Airplane" shows up on earth. Here have some references;
https://www.history.com/topics

and maybe the crucial one is to add more food sources, or type of food, add more variant in things that already there, make us enjoy the game, make us enjoy the old Ages by letting us to create stuff from the old Ages and by that this game is able to educate us by creating and knowing stuff from the old Ages.

and after that, this game can give some Future tech, just like on this Game's Trailer, that robot, cars and mono-rail.

Awkay, hope you read this Developers.
Thank you. Im just giving mu opinions.
what a Great Game concept, can't wait for another updates! cheers XD

#15 2019-02-13 17:44:31

WalrusesConquer

rittler wrote:

Hi Developers, I know making game is hard and fixing bugs even harder.

I play once a week, and recently I notice, this game is losing direction, and indeed it a bit boring lately.

why? I able to create a Crude Airplane while my mama using flat stone to cook an Omelet? oh cmooon dude... XD
https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/ … /fly/1903/

why no start read history? do research to any Tech, Clothing, or Food from the old Ages (Stone Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age).
there are a lot of things we missed before this "Crude Airplane" shows up on earth. Here have some references;
https://www.history.com/topics

and maybe the crucial one is to add more food sources, or type of food, add more variant in things that already there, make us enjoy the game, make us enjoy the old Ages by letting us to create stuff from the old Ages and by that this game is able to educate us by creating and knowing stuff from the old Ages.

and after that, this game can give some Future tech, just like on this Game's Trailer, that robot, cars and mono-rail.

Awkay, hope you read this Developers.
Thank you. Im just giving mu opinions.
what a Great Game concept, can't wait for another updates! cheers XD

1. It's "dev" just one guy. Doing everything. Give him time.
2. This is not a historical simulator. If we had an apocalypse today, we wouldnt have a bronze age because we immediately know how to make steel
3. This thread is extremely old. Necroing is not a good idea!
4. You can post suggestions on reddit! These will be more likely to be seen!

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#16 2019-02-13 20:31:12

Bob 101

I don't think so, You make your own fun sometimes. Too many people play the game like machines, Maximum efficiency and the same everytime.

#17 2019-02-13 20:44:23

Halfkoreangamer

Trade some fun for efficiency or efficiency for fun.

There are two major elements to this game:
Building and Working
Social and RP

Mix up your ratio between them for a varied game experience. Try a 100% social life some time. Try a work life. Try things in between. Travel the untraveled path.

Remember sandbox games are only as fun as the people playing them.
Find what fun to you and do it.
Dont worry about what other people think you should be doing.

#18 2019-02-13 22:06:31

Maggie1Life

So some idea about the dog. Why don't we have the dog belongs to the player who breeds it. Let the dog following its master around and the player can use the command \sit to place the dog in a tile. If the dog has a puppy, it will freeze in the tile like dead pig/lamb with small ones until the player picks up the puppy and give it to someone else. I suppose this will make more sense for the companion.

#19 2019-02-13 22:40:14

karltown_veteran

In my opinion the high tech is good because it gives more experienced players something to do, it has made me more interested in the game, not less.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

Board footer