a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-27 08:45:36

Vexenie

Dyes

Ok! Yellow, red and blue!
*realises something*
WHERE THE F*** ARE YELLOW DYED WOOL!!!

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#2 2018-10-27 08:53:01

WomanWizard

Re: Dyes

You have to pee on it.

#3 2018-10-27 17:27:09

Carrot-Seedling

Yellow dye would be HARD. Onion skins are a viable option, but by the time the towns are at wool the onions would be eaten. Perhaps that's a challenge for the towns. Or if travel is too hard then we could get sunflowers.

And then we should mix dyes to get purple and green and orange dye. I wish there was a rainbow emoji.

Last edited by Carrot-Seedling (2018-10-27 17:27:37)

You have now laid eyes upon the one and only Raidan Allcock on the leaderboards. tongue

#4 2018-10-27 17:40:42

Anshin

Carrot-Seedling wrote:

Yellow dye would be HARD. Onion skins are a viable option, but by the time the towns are at wool the onions would be eaten...

Onions should be farmable.

#5 2018-10-27 17:44:39

Anshin

... Along with beef, for beef stew.

We have carrots, potatoes, onions, and beef. We even have salt to add!
But we can't slaughter cows or grow onions. So sad.

#6 2018-10-27 23:46:02

Jk Howling

Carrot-Seedling wrote:

Yellow dye would be HARD. Onion skins are a viable option, but by the time the towns are at wool the onions would be eaten. Perhaps that's a challenge for the towns. Or if travel is too hard then we could get sunflowers.

And then we should mix dyes to get purple and green and orange dye. I wish there was a rainbow emoji.

If you admit yellow dye would be hard, doesn't it stand to reason the rest would be too? Mixing dyes doesn't work that way. They're not made up of the same materials, like watercolors- they're primitive dyes created from rather old methods, and usually consisting of different materials.

Purple, for example, was a very uncommon color used in dying before modern technology. From what I recall, the romans actually got their purple dye from the shells of certain snails. Can you imagine how many snails you'd have to find, kill, and crush the shells of to get enough dye for something substantial? It was the difficulty to attain and amount of labor needed that made purple so rare, and only affordable by the wealthiest of people. Thus, it became to be thought of a color of royalty.

Then again, a true red dye was also difficult to get in those days as well. Many red dyes actually faded rather quickly when applied to natural materials, or tended to learn towards an earthy brownish or orangish color.

On a more interesting note, dyes made from indigo didn't actually turn the material blue until it was removed from the dying vat and allowed to oxidize. The dye itself tended to be green, similar to the plant it was extracted from. It'd turn blue once left to 'air out' as some might put it.

-Has ascended to better games-

#7 2018-10-28 07:33:15

Vexenie

Jk Howling wrote:
Carrot-Seedling wrote:

If you admit yellow dye would be hard, doesn't it stand to reason the rest would be too? Mixing dyes doesn't work that way. They're not made up of the same materials, like watercolors- they're primitive dyes created from rather old methods, and usually consisting of different materials.

Purple, for example, was a very uncommon color used in dying before modern technology. From what I recall, the romans actually got their purple dye from the shells of certain snails. Can you imagine how many snails you'd have to find, kill, and crush the shells of to get enough dye for something substantial? It was the difficulty to attain and amount of labor needed that made purple so rare, and only affordable by the wealthiest of people. Thus, it became to be thought of a color of royalty.

Then again, a true red dye was also difficult to get in those days as well. Many red dyes actually faded rather quickly when applied to natural materials, or tended to learn towards an earthy brownish or orangish color.

On a more interesting note, dyes made from indigo didn't actually turn the material blue until it was removed from the dying vat and allowed to oxidize. The dye itself tended to be green, similar to the plant it was extracted from. It'd turn blue once left to 'air out' as some might put it.

I have talked about the colors more and you have some interesting info
Though we shouldn't change red, we could change how dying blue works
You'll need to let it dry on a drying rack after 30 s-1 min
You have your blue

It could be also same as right now, just the drying part is just so quick

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#8 2018-10-29 11:31:09

FeverDog

Yellow dye isn't hard.  Turmeric produces a yellow color.

Board footer