One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-23 16:12:12

Windmiller

I know this is ONE hour one life but

There is one thing that I consistently see throughout all my lives here, and that is lack of food diversity.

Sure, you'll often see stews, pies, and omelettes lying around, but rarely do I see other foods such as taco's, other pies than rabbit or sheep, sauerkraut, and goose. And as someone who likes to try and get that juicy food bonus all by myself it is very difficult to get more than +5.

Now, I haven't seen anyone else suggest this (I might just be ignorant of it), but what if the food bonus you build up over your life will let you live a little past 60 years?
Let's say that I still have a food bonus of +5 the moment I reach 60, instead of dying, my death will be delayed until my food bonus also drops to zero. Since I can't eat more at 60, since I'm full, there will be a hard-cap on how long you'll be able to prolong your life through a healthy and diverse diet. This will incentivize people to strive for a more diverse diet rather than just mass produce mutton pies and stews.

I would also argue that this mechanic would benefit large civilizations, that rather than just having two or three cooks, it would open up more specialized cooking jobs, food storage organization jobs, and more farming/husbandry jobs. A life prolonging diverse diet also incentivizes even more teamwork as maxing out a life will require the entire village.

However, one should still keep in mind that even though this might seem OP, and essentially heresy against the philosophical foundation of OHOL itself, I'd wager that only a fraction of the people playing will actually achieve the max food bonus and thus live past one full hour as there are many pitfalls that will prevent this from happening; ranging from emergency double berry eating, lack of organization, and to (sadly) griefing. And even when achieving it, it could just make a negligible difference due to poor temperature management.

#2 2018-10-23 17:14:48

WalrusesConquer

Re: I know this is ONE hour one life but

One thing that should always remain the same is the ONE hour one life. In a game where every situation is random and anything can change, at least you know you have ONE hour to do stuff. Not one hour sometimes if I don't keep a good a yum bonus.
Oh well. That's just my point of view

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#3 2018-10-23 17:42:47

Roblor

Hail to the Walrus!

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#4 2018-10-23 17:43:46

Turnipseed

I dont know... id like to extend my life a lil bit on certain runs. As the tech tree grows it would be nice to see some medicine or the yum bonus thing let us live an extra 10~15 minutes if we so desire

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#5 2018-10-23 18:17:22

denriguez

I really like this idea. It's a great incentive for developing greater food diversity and keeping your yum bonus up. Impossible to do in early stage, but it becomes a meta in late-stage. Advanced civs shouldn't be producing food just to ward off starvation, they should be concerning themselves with nutrition and longevity. I'd argue that a high yum bonus should slow down physical aging, as well: a healthy 50-year old with a consistent +5 yum bonus might expect to live to 70, and only hits "old age" traits at 60 or 65.

If it's made difficult enough, those precious additional years would make you a real curiosity in the village. Reaching advanced old age could earn you the title of Elder, a truly wise old person who may no longer be able to work but can speak in much longer sentences. Maybe the death of an elder could be marked by some kind of event: a thunderclap, or a flock of doves, or some other weird thing. Maybe there's a new item for Elder Grave that's prettier and permanent.

I do worry about the fact that this isn't possible in early-stage civs, though. Would players simply suicide if they know there's no chance of living to 70 (or 65, or whatever), if that's their goal? Maybe, maybe not. I also wonder if this doesn't invite the argument "well if good nutrition lets you live to 70 years, why can't better nutrition let you live to 80? 90?" That does seem to go against the spirit of the game.

#6 2018-10-23 22:23:45

Catfive

Problem really revolving around the whole name of the game and Jason's own personal vision for it? There is a two hours one life server out there, was busy last time i checked..

#7 2018-10-23 22:56:36

Morti

Reality.

4Pt8zf5.png

laed3uE.png

Life_Expectancy_at_Birth_by_Region_1950-2050.png

QJQx5ak.png

OHOL.

1BiXh.jpg

Logan's Run x2, at best.

#8 2018-10-24 03:34:55

denriguez

Morti wrote:

OHOL.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/1BiXh.jpg

Logan's Run x2, at best.

Point made. smile

#9 2018-10-24 06:51:40

WalrusesConquer

Roblor wrote:

Hail to the Walrus!

XD

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#10 2018-10-24 09:16:58

Lum

Since you can fairly easily get to a +10 bonus (I reach it almost every life now) and even more (I got to +17 in a city), this seems like it would cause more problems than give advantages. Everyone would just steal each others food, spend all their time thinking about what they're gonna eat next, etc... just so they can get a chance at meeting their great grandkids.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#11 2018-10-24 10:41:06

FeverDog

A+++++++++++++++ Ralphie!

But we'll need some of that Okinawan fish.

Board footer