One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-22 19:59:54

Vexenie

YES or NO: Crop diseases and nutrient deficenties

In ohol, people usually plant the same crops over and over on the same plot of field and I'm tired of that, seeing carrot in one plot, only to be used for more carrots
Ohol is about realism with a few silly thing like the cactus fruit boot
So the farming should be like real life, where growing crops on the same field over and over causes plant diseases, so you can use same plot for like 3 or 4 times till you get a plant disease
Eating a diseased crop has a chance of getting sick (it is different chance for every crop) or giving half the hunger points of the crop

Getting sick makes you lose hunger points faster and stays for like 2-5 min
Sickness makes your skin greenish, even when your the blackest person in game, and makes your mouth almost the same as the afro woman's mouth, but more extreme, as in more wavy

Berry bushes are basically unperishable, because of their reusability, BUT still do get rotten berries, but you can just take them off, eat em or dump em, fertilize and water

Nutrients:
If nutrients are in the game, then you would think: "Then how are eves going to make new towns?"

Well, in the early game, it doesn't matter, cuz in real life, people had no problems eating foraged food and meat, though getting meat is hard in the early game, wild berries could be more full of nutrients than domestic ones and meat is basically a nutrient explosion

Later, when there is farming, nutrients could become a problem, cuz they're not as full of nutrients than wild ones, which could bring deficienties
These will make you slower, but you can still grab thing and to get rid of the deficientsi, just eat the correct food
To see it, it will show the following symptoms, that come from it
people should then eat different things, like bread, different pies, meat, stew and more, to balance out the nutrients
BUT there will be also intolerant people In gluten, lactose and else, which will also make them lose their hunger points faster, but it doesn't show anywhere, that you're intolerant, so you just have to remember it
Potatoes are an exception, due to them being so full of nutrient, people can basically live off of them
Just ask an old timey poor irish man or woman, who only ate potatoes, because they were the most nutrient rich and least demanding crops for them, but they only used one kind of potato and boom: Potato blight

Don't worry about the kinds, but worry about the crop cycles

Yes, yes, this will make things harder, but ohol is about a life, which is only one hour long and making your small mark on the world, and such is real life, which we call "realistic" in our terms and ohol is about that: realistic life simulator of survival and parenting

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#2 2018-10-23 01:44:38

GreatShawn

Re: YES or NO: Crop diseases and nutrient deficenties

Put this on reddit not on forums

#3 2018-10-23 04:28:18

Tramax

I think that could be neat, it would encourage more cisterns as farms cycle through areas not to close to wells.
In addition, I have to note that a fair few allergies and intolerances are somewhat caused by humans not walking barefoot across certain terrain any more. A branch of homeopathy has people use a small amount of parasitic worms that are found in abundance in natural land that our ancestors would've been subject to in excess; causing problems for them. However it came with the side effect of increase the immune system to resist certain things such as peanuts.
Perhaps in order to prevent early stage civilizations from having too many children who are allergic/intolerant they are exempt unless most of their life is spent with shoes on or on roads.

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#4 2018-10-23 15:47:14

Booklat1

GreatShawn wrote:

Put this on reddit not on forums

both tbh. but its more likely for him to take it from there I guess

I like the idea of crop diseases and pests but they should be a small balancing mechanic, not griefer fuel.

#5 2018-10-23 15:53:08

gabal

I'm not sure this is a good idea. I like the idea of diseases due to bad sanitation as it would be intuitive to players without out-game knowledge.

I am not sure players would recognize that crops are diseased because they need to do crop rotation.

#6 2018-10-23 17:32:56

Vexenie

gabal wrote:

I am not sure players would recognize that crops are diseased because they need to do crop rotation.

I get it right, then it could shown by rotten yields, dicoloration and/or flies flying around them, to signal the fact, those are diseased

#7 2018-10-23 18:35:54

Starknight_One

Vexenie wrote:
gabal wrote:

I get it right, then it could shown by rotten yields, dicoloration and/or flies flying around them, to signal the fact, those are diseased

Considering that soil is a limited resource, we already have a simulation of nutrient deficiency; if you don't have soil, fresh or composted, you can't keep berries alive or till new rows. If we could do those things without adding soil each time, we would probably need to implement crop rotation, but I personally think it's fine as it is.

#8 2018-10-23 18:46:39

Vexenie

Starknight_One wrote:
Vexenie wrote:
gabal wrote:

Considering that soil is a limited resource, we already have a simulation of nutrient deficiency; if you don't have soil, fresh or composted, you can't keep berries alive or till new rows. If we could do those things without adding soil each time, we would probably need to implement crop rotation, but I personally think it's fine as it is.

I don't mean by soil nutrients, I mean by plant diseases, which don't come from soil health, come from staying in one place for a long time, which lets diseases settle on those plants or something

Board footer