One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-16 08:21:04

Goliath

Donkey Town Detailed Explaination

I would like somewhere that I can check how much longer I have left in Donkey Town.

I would also like donkey town explained. I thought it was just a black text box you received so everyone knew you were a bad apple but nobody knows how long it will take for 10 curses to be used.

In my opinion, Donkey town is an overpowered patch, abuses griefers who paided $20 just like everyone else for a game they could raid and attack foreign families in just to end up restricted to solo play.

Donkey Town discussion Main Forum: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4186

Possible Solutions,

1. Remove Donkey Town
2. Add a Time to Donkey Town players to allow them to know when they are to get out
3. Allow the Ban to count when the player isn't playing.
4. Cut the time in "Donkey Town" to something reasonable, instead of 1hr/2hr for every curse
5. Have a well written explanation of every aspect of Donkey Town, including penalty and perhaps allow good players to get out sooner.

6. Allow players in Donkey town to dispute their curses statues, since we are all paying customers.

Last edited by Goliath (2018-10-16 17:30:12)

Teamwork makes the Dreamwork.

#2 2018-10-16 09:39:28

Dodge

Re: Donkey Town Detailed Explaination

I agree that there should be a cap on curses, because at the moment it is theorically possible to be cursed to the point of having to spend 100 hours in donkeytown

#3 2018-10-16 14:23:00

Starknight_One

Dodge wrote:

I agree that there should be a cap on curses, because at the moment it is theorically possible to be cursed to the point of having to spend 100 hours in donkeytown

How long in purgatory is too long for the one who kills a thriving, peaceful village?

Curses are limited. You can't just go around sentencing people to time in Donkey Town. You get one in your life, so don't spend it frivolously.

I realize your post is intended to be hyperbole, Dodge, but let's assume it is factual. In order to get 100 hours in Donkey Town, you would need to accumulate a minimum of 93 curses in a single life assuming you had just returned from exile. That's a TON of curses. It would need a major city, with an organized news guild, to arrange that kind of curseload... so yeah, if you were to get that, you'd probably deserve it.

It's pretty simple. Curses follow you. If you get 8 or more, you go to Donkey Town. Each hour in DT burns off 1 hour of curses. Once you get down below 8 points, you can rejoin society. I'm not sure if time spent in society without accumulating curses burns off curse time, but I'd think it should.

That being said... perhaps a /cursetime command could be implemented, allowing you to see how many curse points you have remaining. Maybe it could even be phrased in terms of how many game years you have left in limbo.

#4 2018-10-16 17:29:26

Goliath

Starknight_One wrote:
Dodge wrote:

How long in purgatory is too long for the one who kills a thriving, peaceful village?

Curses are limited. You can't just go around sentencing people to time in Donkey Town. You get one in your life, so don't spend it frivolously.

I realize your post is intended to be hyperbole, Dodge, but let's assume it is factual. In order to get 100 hours in Donkey Town, you would need to accumulate a minimum of 93 curses in a single life assuming you had just returned from exile. That's a TON of curses. It would need a major city, with an organized news guild, to arrange that kind of curseload... so yeah, if you were to get that, you'd probably deserve it.

It's pretty simple. Curses follow you. If you get 8 or more, you go to Donkey Town. Each hour in DT burns off 1 hour of curses. Once you get down below 8 points, you can rejoin society. I'm not sure if time spent in society without accumulating curses burns off curse time, but I'd think it should.

That being said... perhaps a /cursetime command could be implemented, allowing you to see how many curse points you have remaining. Maybe it could even be phrased in terms of how many game years you have left in limbo.

I've played plenty of online games that consists of only online communities and 93 curses is possible and not unreasonable. It's better to have a well thought-out penalty system in a game people pay for, or at least a Time indicator.

Teamwork makes the Dreamwork.

#5 2018-10-17 02:09:31

Nika50501

I think the Donkey Town is perfect the way it is, and doesn't have to be changed in any way shape or form(including adding a timer).

One of the overarching goals in this game is to be a part of a community and contribute towards a bigger picture by helping out your civilization. I would argue this is the main reason the majority of players(including myself) enjoy the game and find it fun and unique. By griefing you essentially take that fun away from others and spoil the game for them. In most games this would simply get you banned because no admin is willing to abandon 90% of their dedicated players for the 10% that only come around to ruin the fun. Json however, separated the good and the bad players in an effort to make the game appealing to both sides. Going to Donkey Town doesn't mean that you cannot play the game it just means that you have to play the game with other griefers and try to make the best out of it. And if you think its annoying to deal with people who grief and its impossible to play with them then why the hell do you think regular dedicated players would want to do it?(You are essentially saying that you don't want to play with other people who act like you and yet you expect regular players to just be fine with playing with you)

Furthermore, If you decide to change and no longer grief you will be allowed back into regular servers. It only takes around ~2-4 hours of gameplay and unless you've done something that was massively evil(Like killing a megalopolis with 100 people,which isn't a thing yet) you will not have more than 10 curses(most towns are around 8 people and you will get 4-5 curses each time you demolish a town).

To address your points:
1. I've played for a bit now and I can tell you that since Donkey Town has been introduced the gameplay has been much more fun and civilizations grow a lot larger than before. So it HAS to be kept in game.
2.I think the timer would be abused by griefers so I don't think it is a necessary addition to the game.
3.This would just allow players to afk for a bit and come back to grief,practically making DT useless .
4.Again, see #1, For every 1-3 lifes you ruin you must live out 1 life in donkey town which is more than reasonable. For example, if you kill 8 people you have to live 2 or 3 OHOL lifes in DT to get out which isn't that bad.
5. It would be nice to let players know about DT but I dont think its necessary
6. Idk what you mean.

#6 2018-10-17 03:45:55

Starknight_One

Goliath wrote:

I've played plenty of online games that consists of only online communities and 93 curses is possible and not unreasonable. It's better to have a well thought-out penalty system in a game people pay for, or at least a Time indicator.

Server cap is what, 300? Even if full, you'd need 1/3 of the players on the server to agree to use their curses on a single person.

I realize that curses follow you. It's just that your options for interaction are so limited in a single lifetime, you'd have to do something really evil - or unpopular, I guess, since morality is a social construct - in order to accumulate the kind of curse time you're talking about. 19 was given as the 8th highest total, and I'm pretty sure Jason won't tells us more - he said it wasn't a precedent when giving that info out.

I know 10 hours might seem like 100, but really... hyperbole doesn't further the discussion. It leads to people setting up and knocking down strawmen, not to resolving the issue.

If you don't like it being called Donkey Town, call it Coventry. In fact, I'd prefer that - it gets the point across better if you know the stories. Donkey Town was really a trap laid by Pinocchio's clever, layabout friends; they would tempt children into 'living the good life' - i.e., being wasteful and lazy - and then, when they changed into donkeys, they sold them into servitude. It was all for their benefit.

Coventry, on the other hand, was for the benefit of society. Those individuals who refused to honor the social contract - i.e., the basic rules of their society - could either be 'adjusted' (i.e., given therapy to bring them into line with the majority) or they could choose Coventry. This was a land beyond the wall, outside of society, where a person lived by the sweat of their body and brow. If you choose Coventry, the society will give you survival gear, rations, even a vehicle - then they put you through the door, and you are no longer their problem. The hero gets robbed, finds his feet, discovers a plot by Coventry to invade the society, and warns them - not because he was treated badly, but because it was the right thing to do. At the end, he is welcomed back into society, because he's let go of his wrong opinions that being an island unto himself is the proper and necessary - indeed, only - way to live.

The latter is the lesson that OHOL's Donkey Town is trying to impart - it's better to be a small part of a society, instead of being alone or surrounded by people who want to destroy things.

Board footer