One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-15 22:36:02

Catfive

"Give me your knives I am protector"

Says some kid in a crown as I go about my business. He's spent his life finding the crown and clothing and a knife or 2. I carry 2 for safekeeping and to deal with sheep (or Bob Ella the bear lurer) Be productive and earn the ones you have - I suggest only to find the same kid doing jack all most of his life unless someone dies then he races over in case there is a knife to be found. I'd rather see every single productive person armed in a camp than have one person controlling them.

Later I've given one knife away and still hold one when a woman dies with one right by me. I start to loot and he grabs it off her corpse. Now I warned him earlier to be productive, he's done nothing at all but is here again looking for more knives. I tell him to put it down, he refuses, he wears my remaining knife in his gut a split second later screaming for people to kill or curse me to no avail. I leave the camp soon after as everything is underway and it's time for some sleep.

There is no need for a camp guard, an armed posse is far more effective at keeping the peace and as soon as you have 6 or 7 involved in stopping them you're a hair's breadth from giving them an instant donkey town experience as well as getting the earthly retribution that just makes you grin wink

#2 2018-10-15 23:25:33

Tea

Re: "Give me your knives I am protector"

Oh wow, good for you dealing with that kid without getting killed yourself ^^

I agree, too many knifes are a common problem in big cities. Either there is one person holding all of them or toddlers who can't use them yet.

Yes, knifes a important. The Baker needs one, the shepherd needs one but do you really need seven knifes in one city? If your really want to have guardians in your city, find a handful of people who are hardworking and who you trust, distribute the knifes to them and there you go.

But by looting a corpse and taking their knifes is not the only way to get them. They are easy to make in advanced cities and frankly, I don't often see a smith who sticks to the forge and has an eye what tools are being made. I was once born in a big city and was given the crown. With the help of another lady, we made sure that pads were being made and no one took the needles from the medic station. While helping the towns people, I saw a guy with an unfinished knife in his hand. I managed to grab it from him while he ate something.

There were no smith, people came to the forge and made their own tools that they needed. So no one noticed that guy using the ore for a knife. We had at least four to five knifes and on my question on why he made a new one, he answered "For Hunting."

"You don't need a knife to hunt. Use a bow."

"I want to hunt rabbits."

"Use a snare then."

"It's to get the skin off."

"You can use a flint chip for that."

I decided not to kill him and melt down the blade that he made. He might have been misinformed or he really intended to kill someone. Now some of you might tell me that I should have killed him, but letting him live seemed to me like the right thing to do.

He starved shortly after and no one got hurt.

Always keep and eye on the forge. Tell your people that you have enough knifes and that new ones shouldn't be made. Distribute your knife to the baker, the smith, the doc, the shepherd and if you still have too many, hide the remaining one far, far, far away.

Last edited by Tea (2018-10-16 00:13:33)

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#3 2018-10-16 00:15:48

Tramax

I really dislike setting out on my interests for the round and then people telling me I seem to know what I'm doing and work hard followed by throwing a knife/crown down for me roll

Having said that, there is certainly a caliber that are worth handing over such things, and with only one hour to find them, you have to be a pretty decent judge of character and on top of that a lot of people who get crowns just continue with what they're doing anyway. I've been guilty of doing that before kind of ashamedly putting the crown down by the fire for someone to take over sometimes.

I just had a round where I turned down the crown my aunt tried to give me due to helping build a road out of the city to setup a well - and that would minimize my time ruling/protecting the city. However my mother also nominated me so I reluctantly delegated the task to another player. That was actually one of the best rounds I played as with a clear goal passed down by my elders I could tour the city to delegate workers so that the project could be facilitated easily. Walking up to people and asking, "Hey ____, are you busy?" was eye-opening as to how a crowned person can redirect the energies of the city to accomplish things on a big scale. It's kinda funny how you get nine rounds with no ruler effecting your life and then occasionally someone being the "protector" is worth both your and the city's time.

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#4 2018-10-16 02:54:11

Jk Howling

God I hate those 'protector/guardian' roleplayers lmfao. Guarding the camp is not a job. It's not even productive. 90% of the time you're just running around with a loaded bow, interrupting peoples' work and scaring the shit out of them. No, you don't need a backpack full of knives to 'protect' your city. You also don't need a loaded bow in your arms 24/7.

In most of my lives where we've had griefers, they've always been solved by the regular townsfolk. We don't need a dedicated protector to prevent things- only competent and observant players.

I lived a life yesterday where I witnessed a guy stab a fertile girl for no reason or explanation. Me and one other person were witness to the event, and several other townsfolk were on the scene in seconds. I retaliated pretty quickly and stabbed the guy with my own knife, which I'd carried for most of that life as a baker.

The girl was saved by a fast-acting villager, while she gave the killer's name and such. Someone fed me, though I didn't need it, and I thanked them between explanations.

The only hiccup was the killer was also saved. Another player quickly re-stabbed him while onlookers berated the savior, who apologized as they'd arrived late and didn't realize. The griefer took at least 6 curses with him after he died, possibly more- I bet  we sent his ass to donkey town.

This is easily one of the most ideal situations of handling a griefer. Griefer killed, victim saved, and curses given. We had no need of a policeman or guardian or whatnot- just a town of observant, fast-acting players, with knives given to those who are competent workers.

-Has ascended to better games-

#5 2018-10-16 17:36:34

Catfive

Jk Howling wrote:

This is easily one of the most ideal situations of handling a griefer. Griefer killed, victim saved, and curses given. We had no need of a policeman or guardian or whatnot- just a town of observant, fast-acting players, with knives given to those who are competent workers.

+1 any town in good shape is only that way because it has competent players in it. If they decide to go on a rampage after you give them a knife then they too become subject to the town law.

That's very unlikely though as any competent player can craft one in a very short time

Last edited by Catfive (2018-10-16 17:37:12)

#6 2018-10-16 19:34:58

UnnoticedShadow

"Give me your knives I am protector"

Good thing I brought a bow;)

Last edited by UnnoticedShadow (2018-10-16 19:35:13)

#7 2018-10-16 21:59:50

Monolith_Rans

I’m a knife distributor.  In past lives I have been given the “knife holder” job and I don’t like it.  If only one person has the knives, they proliferate.  And the only way to heal an arrow wound is with a hot knife.  If more people have them, more people can halt murdered griefing.  On the flip side, I’m a veteran player and I’ve accidentally stabbed someone in that crazy knife filled city.

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#8 2018-10-16 22:14:51

Tarr
Banned

As already stated in the thread town guard isn't really a job, it's roleplaying for someone who is just looking for a reason to kill. Anyone who roams town with a loaded bow is generally just going to spook the people into not working and make a situation worse than it already is. Any time I've ran into the loaded bow "rper" it just ends up with innocent people killed or people who stop trolls dead.

Generally knives should be spread around to as many adult as possible to in an attempt to snub attacks with threat of swift retaliation. The only issue with everyone having a knife is newer players just attacking anyone when they see red. Though I'd rather risk chain stabbings vs having the few people with knives be trolls and apathetic people. I've seen people be able to stomp out a mass killing just stand around and rp instead of take the minute to right click the bad guy.

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer