One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-12 16:56:54

Catfive

Steam soon: be prepared

Griefers will abound!
Murder will be VERY common!
Amongst them trying to play the game will be great people to have stay with us... I've seen the peaks of the MS gaminz zone, BT wireplay, Ultima in 2000, DAOC, SB, DF, WW2OL and other communities (ok I'm old) and I've seen their communities wreck them one by one. This is mainly aimed at the 'vets' in OHOL: we can make this work but it's going to be tough. Expect aggro, it could be well worth it. Communities come and go, it's up to us to see how long we can make this something people remember.

Kill, if needed but also teach, listen, help, lead, organise at times too, make it a game you'll be talking about 20 years after it ends!

#2 2018-10-12 19:50:59

Tarr
Banned

Re: Steam soon: be prepared

Yeah I think it's important to remember how steep of a learning curve this game has without knowing anything about it. Remember that there is at least one person who couldn't beat the tutorial. I think it's important to try to give new players good information and to make sure to teach them things other than just berry farming.

I know just the other day I had an old woman chase me around with a knife for butchering naked sheep. Either she thought or someone told the person sheep would regrow wool so she was just leaving a bunch of naked sheep in her pen. Normally I wouldn't stand for someone pulling a knife on me but obviously this person was just extremely new to the game.

You have to hold a little restraint when it comes to these people, they don't have the hundreds of hours we do into this game. Just remember to try to be nice, stabbing new players doesn't teach them and it certainly doesn't make them want to stick around.

fug it’s Tarr.

#3 2018-10-12 20:52:43

Tea

Re: Steam soon: be prepared

I think it'll be fine.

Sure, the first weeks will become a bit chaotic, but I have faith that all the kind and amazing people here on the forum will guide and teach those new souls.

Don't forget, you too had your first hard weeks in OHOL, I surely did a lot of mistakes in my first lifes.

Yes, there will be some players who will take the dark path, killing everyone and destroying everything, but there will be kind players who really want to learn and become better at this game. Take them under your wing, teach them, give them tips and tricks, show them a great time and they will never forget that player who was kind and patient with them.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

Board footer