One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-16 03:03:11

fuhrer

Refund?

EDIT: I contacted him via email and he granted the refund! Thanks so much.

How exactly may I get a refund on this.

Wanted to try it out, not my schtick.

Very interesting idea, though!

Last edited by fuhrer (2018-03-16 19:52:27)

#2 2018-03-16 11:09:12

Cryptodream

Re: Refund?

fuhrer wrote:

I dont know if it possible, but, this is not steam, there is no refund policy.

You have reddit, youtube and twitch to check a game before buying it.

You are causing trouble, just because you were lazy to check videos of the game before buying it?

Jason is a cool guy, i guess he would help, but, he is not obligated, and if more users act like you, Jason will have to spend time returning money for games, recicling keys, etc...

instead of creating new content. Returning money is not 1 click.

The game still in prehistoric ages, soon would advance to middle age, industrial revolution, computers, future, robots, etc... if you are quiting because lack of content, that would change with time.

Last edited by Cryptodream (2018-03-16 13:03:03)

#3 2018-03-16 11:24:35

TLD

Asking to refund a public domain/open source game feels a bit nasty to me.  Even if you get a refund, you can still play the game as much as you want, just you're not supporting the developer.

#4 2018-03-16 12:40:53

Twinsen

TLD wrote:

Asking to refund a public domain/open source game feels a bit nasty to me.  Even if you get a refund, you can still play the game as much as you want, just you're not supporting the developer.

You should give the OP a break; since Cryptodream technically spill out the issue where the OP didn't do his research enough. The OP probably just joined the U-Tube Hype and didn't know this is an open source game at all.

As to the OP, I read another forum post suggesting that if you paid via Paypal, it's possible to get your refund, but the refund process of Paypal is really painful to deal with. As for other types of payment, I haven't read the forum saying anything specific.

#5 2018-03-16 12:52:53

Misho

There are consumer laws and any customer not happy with the product has a right to apply for a refund, be it open source or not. The creator of this game chose to release off steam which makes refunds a bit harder and eventual PayPal claims may hurt his credability a bit but don't come here and blame anyone who wants their 20~$ back after realising this isn't their type of game.

To OP, file a PayPal claim to get your money back if you paid via that service.

#6 2018-03-16 12:59:58

Twinsen

There are indeed consumer laws; if the OP happens to live in the same State as with Jason, the process is even more easier; however, there are countries that have limited arm's reach to the extend the laws for product sold online.

That said, Jason is living the land of buyer's regret (USA) and he certainly understands it, so ya, get your refund via paypal if that's OP payment type.

#7 2018-03-16 13:11:47

illumin8ed1

I remember the good old days when "100% satisfaction guarantee or money back" was not a thing. Now people feel entitled to it just because they didn't like something.  There were days where you could only return something if it was broken / defective, otherwise you were the dummy that bought something you didn't ensure you wanted.

It's not a very good way to go through life.  You can't go to a restaurant and pay to eat whatever you want, and then at the end say you didn't like it to get your money back... you already ate it! And how do we know you are lying or not? What if you enjoyed every minute of it, but just want your money back because you are cheap? Someone spent the time and money to acquire the ingredients and cook the meal just so you can have the chance to taste it and determine if you like it or not. Whether or not you actually enjoy it or not is your own fault.

You can't expect to just buy a game, play it for who knows how long, and then when you are done just expect to get your money back...  Someone spent many days of their life just so you can play with it at all, just so you can taste it, and you expect to just take that back because YOU don't like it? You punish them because YOU don't like it? Good one...

#8 2018-03-16 13:41:43

The Person In Yellow

illumin8ed1 wrote:

I remember the good old days when "100% satisfaction guarantee or money back" was not a thing. Now people feel entitled to it just because they didn't like something.  There were days where you could only return something if it was broken / defective, otherwise you were the dummy that bought something you didn't ensure you wanted.

It's not a very good way to go through life.  You can't go to a restaurant and pay to eat whatever you want, and then at the end say you didn't like it to get your money back... you already ate it! And how do we know you are lying or not? What if you enjoyed every minute of it, but just want your money back because you are cheap? Someone spent the time and money to acquire the ingredients and cook the meal just so you can have the chance to taste it and determine if you like it or not. Whether or not you actually enjoy it or not is your own fault.

You can't expect to just buy a game, play it for who knows how long, and then when you are done just expect to get your money back...  Someone spent many days of their life just so you can play with it at all, just so you can taste it, and you expect to just take that back because YOU don't like it? You punish them because YOU don't like it? Good one...

but a video game isn't completely destroyed and unusable when you call for a refund. Other people can still buy the very same game despite you disliking the game and getting your money back. It is up to the discretion of whoever is selling the game (Jason in this case) whether or not they feel like giving your money back; it's more of a personal issue.
That restaurant analogy is way off from getting a refund for a video game

Last edited by The Person In Yellow (2018-03-16 13:43:41)

#9 2018-03-16 13:58:35

TLD

Twinsen wrote:
TLD wrote:

You should give the OP a break; since Cryptodream technically spill out the issue where the OP didn't do his research enough. The OP probably just joined the U-Tube Hype and didn't know this is an open source game at all.

As to the OP, I read another forum post suggesting that if you paid via Paypal, it's possible to get your refund, but the refund process of Paypal is really painful to deal with. As for other types of payment, I haven't read the forum saying anything specific.

I was not having a go at the OP, however if that is how it was interpreted then I apologise. However I was stating that in my opinion refunding software that is public domain/open source does feel nasty, at least I would feel uncomfortable doing it. I'd rather re-sell my account to a friend.

Last edited by TLD (2018-03-16 13:59:11)

#10 2018-03-16 15:03:28

illumin8ed1

The Person In Yellow wrote:

but a video game isn't completely destroyed and unusable when you call for a refund. Other people can still buy the very same game despite you disliking the game and getting your money back. It is up to the discretion of whoever is selling the game (Jason in this case) whether or not they feel like giving your money back; it's more of a personal issue.
That restaurant analogy is way off from getting a refund for a video game

The game was downloaded and source code made available to them, they have a copy on their machine, they have it in their possession.  From my point of view, as a fellow software engineer, they got the goods and can't actually return anything, so they need to pay for it, no returns (yes I understand its open source and on github).  When you get a refund on a tangible object, you usually have to give the object back in exchange for your money back. You rarely get to keep said object and get your money back, because would be a stupid business model, and business would get robbed basically.

In my opinion, they ate the game, and they can't return it just like you can't return your meal after eating it at a restaurant.

Last edited by illumin8ed1 (2018-03-16 15:04:48)

#11 2018-03-16 15:05:49

vilka

fuhrer wrote:

Email Jason, he said in discord to do that for refunds.

#12 2018-03-16 20:58:44

Casdir

I was thinking about refunding it as well, since the game felt more like work than anything else to me at the time. It still is a mixed bag of fun and work, not the good kind, but the thing is that this isn't a game that you play for hours on end. It's a game you should only play for like an hour or two and then give it a break. It's all about the experience. It's not going to be your new Rust or Arc, or whatever.

There is a lot to talk about this game. Like a A LOT! I say keep the game. I have good hopes that Jason is going to keep working on this game for a long time. He seems like a passionate developer.

#13 2018-03-16 21:08:16

mrfox

I've already had about fifteen hours out of it which is more than enough to justify price for me.

But we all do our own maths on this.

#14 2018-03-17 03:54:19

Twinsen

Casdir wrote:

I was thinking about refunding it as well, since the game felt more like work than anything else to me at the time. It still is a mixed bag of fun and work, not the good kind, but the thing is that this isn't a game that you play for hours on end. It's a game you should only play for like an hour or two and then give it a break. It's all about the experience. It's not going to be your new Rust or Arc, or whatever.

There is a lot to talk about this game. Like a A LOT! I say keep the game. I have good hopes that Jason is going to keep working on this game for a long time. He seems like a passionate developer.

Like every posts that mentioned "refund" for this game, this game is really not everyone's cup of tea and I absolutely agree with that.

What I still don't understand though, is that we are in a time when some of us are fed up with AAA developers/publishers yet some of us got burnt trying quite a few Early Access in Steam; but still, we haven't learned a lesson by doing a bit more research... well, isn't this is like the game mechanic of 1H1L?

#15 2018-04-06 15:20:24

Challenor

Then the update happen

Board footer