One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-07 00:06:29

UnnoticedShadow

Possible Food Rework

At the moment, the hunger system is very strange, with food becoming very common late-game, but people still starving because they were a SECOND too slow to eat that berry.  Another problem is that food NEVER decays, so an Eve can come across a run down village with dead bushes, and find food EVERYWHERE if there was a lot of food left before. 

However, I feel that both of these problems, and even a miscellaneous one could be fixed with a food rework.  Perhaps the player loses hunger slower, and there last bar lasts two times longer than the others, making it so you only really starve when you're village runs out of food, not because a couple of idiots forgot to eat. 

This would make the game easier, as many people want it to be, but to make up for this Pies, Stew, and even ripe gooseberry bushes could be made to die over time, too.  Making food something that has to be constantly worked on, instead of something that needs to be maintained occasionally.  Food might last longer because of slowed down hunger, but this would balance it out.

Lastly, with all food sources in every form decaying eventually, they would need to leave some "rot" behind.  (I know, Don't Starve)  this "mush" or "rot" could be needed in mass quantities with poop in order to make compost, because it would be much easier to obtain than berries plus carrot.  Overall, this would fix a lot of problems with the current game design.

(If one of these gets added, I would want it to be the last hunger bar being double value, as this would REALLY help getting to food on time)

Last edited by UnnoticedShadow (2018-10-07 00:06:57)

#2 2018-10-07 05:47:43

Jk Howling

Re: Possible Food Rework

Pretty sure Jason has already mentioned that he's likely going to add refrigeration and food rot at some point in the future, so no huge reason to bring up reworking food now. It's probably not going to be done for awhile until we have electricity to be able to refrigerate food- or maybe he'll implement some crude early refrigeration methods involving the snow biome or something, I dunno.

Point is he already has something in mind for food decay. Still, it'd be nice if the last hunger bar lasted a little longer. I hate it when I die literally next to a carrot, or with a berry in my hand. But at the same time, it's not like the hunger pings don't start dinging before then. When I die to starvation it's usually because I underestimated how small my food bar was, or how quickly it was dropping. It doesn't happen often to players who know food management.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-10-07 05:48:25)

-Has ascended to better games-

#3 2018-10-07 12:08:10

MultiLife

I'm still horrified over the thought of food going bad. I'd imagine people would use all the possible options of "forever good" foods like regrowing berries in bushes or constantly regrowing fruits like apple trees instead of cooking food if the update wasn't done well. The food should never decay on its way to someone's mouth at least, that'd be a horrible "screw you" to experience and die to. Unless of course the whole "dying of starvation in a second" is changed to something less merciless. To me, the biggest challenge is to pace the hunger with the environment; it keeps surprising me how quickly I get hungry outside of deserts.

I do hope some foods will be made to last though, so if the current foods rot and decay, we will get tools to process foods to last nearly infinitely, so Eves can stumble upon warehouses with edible moldy cheese or pickled goods. Or even tin cans of processed food?

One big concern of mine is balancing making food if they rot and decay. The populations boom and fluctuate, so it gets really hard to estimate how much is needed, at least if we don't know how many family members we currently have alive. If I could see that I have to feed 10 people, I could learn to keep the food going (and some emergency pickled stuff in the side) efficiently without wasting it, but if I have to guess how fast the food is consumed, it's just gonna get frustrating and stressful and not fun. Also, I would hate being the appointed village chef if I had to carry that responsibility too often: if we could carry easy-to-make snacks for ourselves, people could take care of their own needs more often without relying on one village chef.

I do agree that the current starvation death is a bit silly and not even very logical. It's funny to imagine a guy sprinting towards their breakfast, only to die before the cereal touched their mouth. Starving is very different in real life, where in OHOL it's this hectic life bar battle and alarm noises and the character keeling over a second after they were still fully functional, running around with an empty stomach.

I wish clothing was easier to make and kept hunger away better. Right now, if you step into a desert tile (as you often have to) with full clothing, you basically start starving in few seconds. It doesn't make sense to start starving just like that. It's a bit of a hassle to redesign though.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-10-07 13:45:18)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#4 2018-10-07 12:45:55

UnnoticedShadow

Thank you, and multilife, they did kind of rewrite the desert tile problem you stated before, as you only get heated up by tiles gradually now.

Last edited by UnnoticedShadow (2018-10-07 12:46:19)

#5 2018-10-07 13:30:09

MultiLife

UnnoticedShadow wrote:

...and multilife, they did kind of rewrite the desert tile problem you stated before, as you only get heated up by tiles gradually now.

Ohh so that's why it feels so different now.

Btw talking about starvation, should we have a system that when your hunger goes to 0, you start moving slow like you are carrying stones, and you have like xx seconds to get to the nearest food or have someone feed you? Automatic sad face could show others you are dying so they can rush in to save you. Now it's like "Oh there's my daughter, happily running arou-- NOO SHE DIED OF STARVATION DAMNIT!"

Well it wouldn't fix the thing completely but at least you know you will be heavily impaired and will die if you leave the bar at 0. Would make it look more natural as you die of starvation after the "exhausted" affliction.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-10-07 13:35:02)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#6 2018-10-07 13:48:38

gabal

I think we should have a food decay system. For example - mutton is spoiled when left unprocessed and it spoils in 5 minutes (arbitary number). However, you can put it in a barrel of salt or put it in smokehouse and then it can last a lifetime.

#7 2018-10-07 15:31:59

Falsewall

I would like us to enter a dying state when we starve, where we can still interact with items.  Maybe a second stage where we just lie down and are too tired to move.

Always wanted to feel the famine, see the starvation, not just have a bunch of spooky skeletons being shat all over the ground.

Last edited by Falsewall (2018-10-07 15:32:47)

#8 2018-10-07 16:26:35

WalrusesConquer

The screen starts fading into white maybe?

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#9 2018-10-07 16:43:30

Dodge

A visual indicator that a person is hungry (starving) could be a good idea, for example look on the face like starving that you see on bottom left of screen
This way you could quickly feed someone and you wouldnt see them going from everything is fine to bunch of bones

#10 2018-10-07 20:06:10

Booklat1

gabal wrote:

I think we should have a food decay system. For example - mutton is spoiled when left unprocessed and it spoils in 5 minutes (arbitary number). However, you can put it in a barrel of salt or put it in smokehouse and then it can last a lifetime.

cold should also be an option to store food, i think. I don't think stuff like berry bushes should decay though.

#11 2018-10-07 21:54:05

UnnoticedShadow

Tyle type changes food freshness?  Or maybe you can use salt on food items, as Pharao suggested

Board footer