One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-05 22:56:20

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Temperature system fixed

This week's update focuses on a bunch of important fixes.  First of all, the temperature system, which was always very finicky, has been smoothed out.  The "just keep running" exploit to lock your temperature no longer works, and your temperature will no longer jump around suddenly and unexpectedly when you step next to a fire.  Instead, your body temperature gradually moves toward the environment temperature over time.  Furthermore, temperature updates happen whether or not you are moving (every two seconds).  This also means that if the fire goes out next to you, but you don't move, your temperature will eventually go down to reflect the new, cooler environment around you.

The code that determines where you click when you click on yourself has been fixed to prevent mistaken clicks on your clothing that extends behind your face when you click on your face.  This was particularly troublesome for children wearing backpacks or aprons.  Clicking their face to eat food used to mistakenly put the food into the backpack or apron pocket (because for a child, the backpack strap and apron top are behind their face).  Now the head takes precedence, given that it's actually in front of the clothing anyway.

Some of you may be aware of the game recording feature.  For bug-catching purposes, every game you play is recorded in a compact, text-only form.  These are saved in your recordedGames folder.  They contain all mouse, keyboard, and network events, allowing the game you played to be simulated at a later time.  Dropping one of these files into your playbackGame folder, and running the game, will allow you to watch a "ghost" version of yourself playing.  As you can imagine, this is very useful for reproducing bugs.

However, these recording files can also take up quite a bit if disk space over time.  The game now defaults to keeping only the most-recent 20 recordings (though this behavior can be tweaked in the settings folder).  Turning recording off completely has always been possible, and it will increase performance a little but, but I encourage people to keep it on for the time being, because you never know when you will get a recording of a rare bug.

That hilarious clothing blushing bug has been fixed, along with a few lurking server bugs.

Next week, I'll be focusing on the Steam integration process.  Hopefully, there will be a way to "unlock" the game on Steam for all of you to start testing next week.  I have discovered a way to do this without handing out Steam keys, which is even easier for the end-user, and there's always the danger that unwanted Steam keys will get sold on key marketplaces at a discount.

#2 2018-10-05 23:05:21

WomanWizard

Re: Update: Temperature system fixed

I'm gonna miss temp running. I'll never forget the time my mother died in the tundra when I was a baby, but I managed to find a nearby desert tile and temp run in circles until I was old enough to feed myself. I was the last surviving female and there was a heartwarming reunion with my uncle later on, who had been building a camp in the hopes someone survived.

How do you turn off the recording feature? I'd like to try it at least once to see if it fixes my issue with OBS crashing when I try to stream this game. I'm assuming you can turn it back on again after.

#3 2018-10-06 00:24:16

ShadouFireborn

WomanWizard wrote:

I was the last surviving female and there was a heartwarming reunion with my uncle later on, who had been building a camp in the hopes someone survived.

Oh my god, I think that was me! Did your uncle come back to camp carrying a cart full of a bunch of iron? I use the OLPlus mod by Awbz, so I knew someone was out there, and I was just happy that you made it back to camp and kept the family going.

One person can easily destroy what has taken dozens of people to build. And they don't see anything wrong with it. They like to do it even. They fiercely defend their right to destroy. They'll do whatever it takes to get around any measures in place to prevent them from doing so.

What we do when there are no real consequences to our actions makes a rather sad statement about human nature.

#4 2018-10-06 01:00:15

WomanWizard

ShadouFireborn wrote:

Oh my god, I think that was me! Did your uncle come back to camp carrying a cart full of a bunch of iron? I use the OLPlus mod by Awbz, so I knew someone was out there, and I was just happy that you made it back to camp and kept the family going.

I don't think it was you, but it is a good feeling, isn't it? This happened a while ago, I think around the Big Farm update. I was trying to make my mom's noobcamp work, like an idiot, when I spotted someone running past the very edge of the screen. Followed him and showed up on my uncle's doorstep with my first baby in arm.

#5 2018-10-06 08:41:05

InSpace

Nice!
Also the bobclub is ready for steam.
nametag.jpg

#6 2018-10-07 15:24:04

Falsewall

Finally temp balancing can begin.

Board footer