One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-14 01:40:26

Matok

Re: [Sustainability] Modern Survival v63 (Volume 1): FARMING, UPDATED

You know I kept thinking to myself while reading your response that I really don't remember using that much water the last few times I played. Counting it back I remember that I needed to grow the wheat sometimes if there wasn't any yet, needed to make the pie crust, and I'd do one or two composts to replace the soil. Still seemed like I was using less water than what an equal amount of carrot food would require, but after reading your post I figured out that I was doing something different.

I've been getting my compost berries from wild berry bushes.

I mean, if they're there, why not, right? They're basically 'free' and only limited by time, and most importantly, no soil or water cost. The issue is they're not guaranteed because you can't pick where they'll be and you can't control who has walked by an eaten off the bush either, so just because you know where one is, doesn't mean you can count on it being available when you decide to do composting.

But yes, I see where if you're growing all of the ingredients for the composting, pies do take up more water because of the soil usage of the berry bushes. That is a sustainability issue if you're trying to get every little bit you can out of the water available.  There's a limit to how far you can travel for water, unless you're going to start sending multiple water fetchers out on a rotation to keep getting water from further and further away, and then you start running into hunger issues if it is too far.

And you are right that getting started, you gotta eat something. A stack of pies aren't going to appear in front of you as soon as you're born, you usually have to make them if you're going to have them at all, and you'll starve in the time it takes to make them if you don't eat something else. This is why I usually spend my time going on a quest to fetch something that the civ needs, as my payback for the support I got in the beginning. Though that's sorta getting to be a different topic I think.

#27 2018-03-15 16:36:48

Tebe

Echoing Matok's experience, when I've made compost and haven't been the chief farmer, I've harvested wild berries away from the village center, wild bushes only. It's often possible, and in the context of domestic farming, practically equals  free compost. If you combine what you're growing with a bit of the bounty that the land renewably offers, pies, wheat, and compost become much more manageable. You can never assume however how many bushes are sustainably useable around any given settlement. This is a wildcard dependent on where you are.

I gotta give a shout out to Ned too for that graphic at the head of this thread. It's phenomenal. The best single-graphic guide I've seen on this game! You could make smithing seem simple with that kind of layout.

#28 2018-03-15 16:38:16

ned

Tebe wrote:

I gotta give a shout out to Ned too for that graphic at the head of this thread. It's phenomenal. The best single-graphic guide I've seen on this game! You could make smithing seem simple with that kind of layout.

Thank you so much! And maybe I have one in the works. wink

Last edited by ned (2018-03-15 16:38:45)

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#29 2018-03-15 16:41:18

Tebe

ned wrote:
Tebe wrote:

Thank you so much! And maybe I have one in the works. wink

that's excellent. they should be in the hands of every newb across the lands.

#30 2018-03-15 16:53:20

ShadowsSoldier

Ill chime in i wont add numbers to the discussion there is plenty of that above.

Pies should only be used in a society/civilization that is stable and has people dedicated to farming and making sure your carrot supply is always maintained.

Been a part of a few such civs where pies are a great source of food and takes a huge load off of the farmers, freeing them up for other menial task while they continue to keep an ever vigilant eye on the carrot supplies.

The civilization in question we had someone in charge of compost, 2 in charge of farming, the compost was also responsible for the wheat farm as a biproduct of the wheat farm is straw for compost and he was also responsible for watering the berry bushes he used for compost.

It seems that you only really need 3 things for sustainability right now, 1 person who knows how to farm and get both berries and carrots going, 1 person that knows how to compost and re-water the berries. And of course PONDS PONDS PONDS!

#31 2018-03-15 18:15:53

Matok

I'd add one more thing to the list of what is needed for sustainability.

Knowing when to stop.

Had last night where someone was growing carrots as fast as they possibly could, but we just didn't need that much because there were only 3 of us and we all had good clothing. It reached a point where there were single carrots littering the ground all over the place because the two dozen baskets were already full, and eventually lead to a lot of farm plots turning into seeds simply because they didn't know what to do with all the dang carrots.

And they just kept planting and watering more any time they could find a bare spot of soil.

When there's enough, quit growing carrots or risk destroying the entire farm. Doing a good thing with blind single mindedness can lead to a bad thing.

#32 2018-03-15 20:54:57

Tebe

Matok wrote:

I'd add one more thing to the list of what is needed for sustainability.

Knowing when to stop.

Had last night where someone was growing carrots as fast as they possibly could, but we just didn't need that much because there were only 3 of us and we all had good clothing. It reached a point where there were single carrots littering the ground all over the place because the two dozen baskets were already full, and eventually lead to a lot of farm plots turning into seeds simply because they didn't know what to do with all the dang carrots.

And they just kept planting and watering more any time they could find a bare spot of soil.

When there's enough, quit growing carrots or risk destroying the entire farm. Doing a good thing with blind single mindedness can lead to a bad thing.

Aw... A good problem to have, granted. But yes, I've seen a good farm in play where the farmers kept the seeds unwatered when there was a carrot surplus. Very smart maneuver. Also might free you up to do a little something on the side. Bake yourself a pie perhaps. Clothe a baby. Gather a berry bowl or two, plant some milkweed. Fall in love.

#33 2018-03-15 21:05:02

ameliewilde

Fur is actually warmer than wool (so what first image says at the bottom is wrong)

#34 2018-03-15 21:16:49

ned

ameliewilde wrote:

Fur is actually warmer than wool (so what first image says at the bottom is wrong)

Wool has a lower rValue, yes, but that actually means it's warmer. rValue corresponds to radiation value, where a lower number means you radiate heat less , thus you hold it in better and stay warm longer (this was shown in a couple of other threads). I dont know what I'm talking about.

The heat algorithms are surprisingly sophisticated. Each body part radiates it's own share of heat, roughly correlated to its surface area. If you stand still, you radiate less heat (because you've already heated your surroundings and they heat you up in return). Thus you use less food than if you're moving around.

As for Matok's and Tebe's posts, I have to say that the past couple of times I've spawned in civs that were seconds away from roughly 9 ponds. Composting was a breeze. Carrots, wild gooseberries, and rabbits were plentiful. So, I did in fact make a bunch of pies. Roughly 14. When resources are so easy to get like that, pies definitely free up your time and make things feel more productive. You're right!

Last edited by ned (2018-03-15 21:41:29)

#35 2018-03-15 21:34:53

Twelve

ned wrote:
ameliewilde wrote:

Wool has a lower rValue, yes, but that actually means it's warmer.

This is incorrect. See this thread: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=530

#36 2018-03-15 21:39:11

ned

Twelve wrote:
ned wrote:
ameliewilde wrote:

Wool has a lower rValue, yes, but that actually means it's warmer.

This is incorrect. See this thread: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=530

Welp. I'm an idiot.

It's funny, because I had gotten my info from this exact thread before katastic corrected him.

Last edited by ned (2018-03-15 21:39:55)

#37 2018-03-15 21:41:50

Twelve

It happens! Good work on the graphic btw big_smile

#38 2018-03-16 16:47:53

Jadajen

Pleas read the entire thread and don't come to any false conclusions. If you gave advice and was later corrected and learned better, please add an edit to your post so other players don't also have the wrong idea.

#39 2018-04-14 08:04:52

breezeknight

just marking the thread

Board footer