One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-09-25 14:21:12

Anshin

Re: Steam: I've decided to do it

jasonrohrer wrote:

Remember when we didn't have graphical user interfaces?  Almost no one used computers back then...

Those were the days!
c64.jpg

EDIT: One request though... Please double the view area for the Steam version! Or allow people to select 1x, 2x, 3x, in the settings menu. Thank you!

Last edited by Anshin (2018-09-25 14:23:52)

#27 2018-09-25 15:05:17

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, I come from the Mac Classic world, where a program lives wherever the user puts it, and there are no special program folder or installation processes.

All that installation "black box" stuff always felt unnecessary to me.

So, the game works the same way on all three platforms.  It extracts to a folder, and you go into that folder to run the game.

Steam refund functionality is an interesting point..... hmm...

Well, I can always tell whether some SteamID still owns the game or not (through the SteamAPI services).  So I guess that the "real" accounts on my server, outside of Steam, will have to permanently associate the SteamID with the account key, and then always ask the SteamAPI before allowing access.  It's an extra step, and more fragile, but it will only affect the Steam-associated accounts.

#28 2018-09-25 16:57:31

Anshin

Oh, and before it goes on Steam I think you should really add those extra ginger and black characters. The last thing the game needs is what looks like unbalanced representation and the stupid reviews that would bring. hmm

#29 2018-09-25 17:11:30

InSpace

How will you do with the "recently updated games" screen on the frontpage of steam? How often do you think you might post ohol on that part, like every x amount of regular updates?

#30 2018-09-25 18:45:56

Uncle Gus

Can you work out how to make mods work in the steam workshop?

#31 2018-09-25 19:35:48

Go! Bwah!

Cool, hope it works out well for you.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#32 2018-09-25 20:25:48

Kinrany

Might want to make the game easier for a while too, reviews are important.

#33 2018-09-25 21:03:51

Mr. Milkweed

This is my first post on the forums. Hello everybody! I was going to buy your game about a week ago and saw it wasn't on Steam, and it only took me until Friday to get over it and just buy the game. Now, a couple days later, it is coming to Steam. I would be honored to help in any testing. I've already had many sad, mundane, strange, epic, and always memorable stories to tell. I also feel I've learned at a rapid pace, I'm by no means an expert, but I feel my skill growing every few lives, and with a Steam release we are going to need people to teach the newbies how to play and weed out the bad ones. A few questions for Jason regarding Steam.

1. Achievements might not be well fitting with a game like this, but do you have any plans for Steam cards? That is, if Steam would allow it. I know their cracking down on who gets to release them of late.
2. Will you allow us to see other people's Steam handles in game at any point?
3. Steam overlay. I feel it should be prevented in OHOL, simply because griefers could more easily coordinate with each other and infiltrate entire family trees if it were allowed.

I'm that one guy who says "same" when anybody says "I love you." and pops his berries in the mouths of abandoned children.

#34 2018-09-25 21:12:52

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I don't plan on implementing any special steam features.  I actually know nothing about how cards work.

You won't be able to see people's Steam handles.... this game is all about forming relationships with strangers.

Steam overlay allows chat with friends while playing?  Why prevent that?  People are already using Discord for a similar purpose.

#35 2018-09-25 21:14:08

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Will probably add more characters before Steam.

I have no idea how Workshop integration works, Gus, and I just don't have the bandwidth to look into it.

#36 2018-09-25 22:19:30

Auner

Honestly, great.

I hope this brings in new players. I'm all curious about the app issue- and steam's demands on that.

Wishing you the best on this venture, Jason please dont hesitate if you need your player base to help you test, I'm sure 99% of us would be down.

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#37 2018-09-26 05:34:28

golmock

I like this news. I'm so happy!
I am a Korean player and I have promoted a lot to my friends and Internet community.
However,  there were many opinions that they would wait until it was released to steam. or wait until the translation comes out. even though it looked interesting and wanted to play.

Last edited by golmock (2018-09-26 05:38:08)

!eve painter! You will have a color name.
I can teach you if i'm not busy. just talk to me.

#38 2018-09-26 07:45:17

gabal

Frankly, I almost didn't buy the game because it wasn't on Steam. Even when I first heard about it first thing I did was try to find it on Steam. I even ended up adding OHOL as a non-steam game in Steam because it is the easiest way to share screenshots from the game to my friends in attempt to interest them. I would love to help with steam testing if you need it, just let us know what can we do to help. Writing reviews for example...

We as a community should really get together when the steam launch happens and help new players to learn and love this great game.

#39 2018-09-26 10:35:17

Lum

If it's what the game needs to become closer to mainstream, then yes please. This community is too narrow sometimes

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#40 2018-09-26 10:49:11

voy178

Nothing wrong with a being little mainstream. Extremists who wouldn't touch a thing if 5 people were using it are so dull.

#41 2018-09-26 11:15:12

Gomez

Good news!  Reason #4 is huge.  Steam is a service and even even has it's own economy via micro-transactions.  Plus now I can gift my brother thru steam and all my friends!  So if you like OHOL buy it for your friends on steam.  smile

Last edited by Gomez (2018-09-26 11:16:43)

#42 2018-09-28 11:50:46

NatrinaG

Dear Jason,

I can't tell you how hype I am that you're bring this to Steam, - while I do agree that doing it "off-grid" added to the beauty of this project, I do think adding it to Steam has many advantages (although it will bring a few challenges to you, the servers, and the community) and I will mention the ones I think are less obvious:

1) Steam makes life so much easier when you're playing with friends over the internet. You can see them playing, which gets you into the mood to play, then there's voice chat and usually (I think you'll need to do some work in this regard) a more streamlined multiplayer mode integration (I'm guessing with a click of a button to join my friends on Steam I'd expect OHOL to open already in the twin page or at least to have the same code as my fellow twins already inserted into the form). Even if you do no integration, opening the game is easier anyway. I do expect that twins will be a way more common thing when you get this on Steam.

2) Screenshots and video integration. They're just so much easier with Steam and automatically get attached to your profile. I don't think I've every personally took a screenshot in OHOL (I don't have FB so where would I share it anyway...), but I think I'd be more likely to do it on Steam.

3) Achievements (which are optional, but please please do!). They're just so much fun and for the lazy folks who don't take screenshots or film their games its a nice way for you still to remember the things you did. It's also a somewhat subtle way for you to promote certain types of behaviors. E.g., imagine having achievements for crafting, animal rearing, exploring, gathering,being blessed (none of the grieving stuff) or even, and this one I'd be very hype about, whether you get a certain amount of children that make it past a certain age or whether your family tree gets three/four/five levels of dept. "The Grand, grand, grand, grandmother achievement". I'd definitely chase that one, would fit perfectly in my achievements "trophy case" by the side of my ARPG achievements.

I've never written in this forum before, so I'd like to also express, dear Jason, my admiration for your work on this game. It's a great concept, from the ground up, and I wish you the best of success and luck generally and in adding Steam integration.

All the best!,
NG

Last edited by NatrinaG (2018-09-28 12:01:32)

Board footer