One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-24 16:16:47

ShadouFireborn

(Story) The crown must pass on

I began life as a shepherd. Shepherd East. My grandmother was an eve who had come into a dead town. There were no other inhabitants than my grandmother, her kids, and grandkids.

My sister... we don't know what happened to her. She disappeared and we never saw her again. And my mother tried for more girls. But there were only us boys. And then my mom got too old to have any more kids, and we all decided to pack up and leave. Look for a new town. Pass on the crown to another worthy girl, even if she wasn't of our lineage. If we could find another Eve, we could help her build anew.

And so we travelled. We loaded up a cart with baskets of pies. We each carried a basket of pies. My mother had a backpack full of pies. And we left the dead, cursed city behind. Perhaps another Eve will be born to the city, and have lots of girls and break the curse? That would be a nice thought. But we wouldn't see it. Because we left.

And so we travelled. We were named East, so we travelled generally west. And damned if the curse from that town didn't follow us, because it didn't take long for my brother to be bit by a rattlesnake.

Mom killed the rattlesnake in retaliation, but we hadn't thought to bring any medical supplies with us, so there was nothing we could do but say goodbye. We divvied up his remaining pies between us, as many as we could carry, and moved on.

Some ways later, the cart tipped. And wouldn't you know it, it was nowhere near any grassland. We had no hope of finding milkweed anywhere near enough to make it worth fixing the tipped cart. So my uncle got off the cart, and we divided as much of the remaining pies as we could carry between the three of us.

And then disaster hit. Mother was growing very old by then, but for some reason she thought it would be a good idea to attack another rattlesnake. I still don't know if it was senility, for further revenge for my brother, or if she'd just gotten tired of travelling. We said goodbye. The crown passed to me, her only remaining son. I took her backpack and remaining pies. I couldn't bring myself to wear it. It belongs to a worthy female and I... am not. So I took it with me, in my basket. We ate the last of a pie to make room for it. And Uncle and I travelled on.

And then Uncle died. I could see it coming, he was already very old. I think he might have actually been mother's older brother. It wasn't long after mother lost her fight with the snake. I already knew that I would be finishing this trip alone. But then, I didn't know how desolate it was going to be.

I carried as many pies as I could, filled mom's backpack with them and the crown, and moved on. And I travelled. For yalms and yalms I travelled, always to the north and west, just looking for any sign of other people. I decided to live off the land as best I could as soon as the pies in my basket were gone. I made a sharp stone, and carried it in my basket. When I found carrots or bardock, I carried them in my basket until I got hungry, and ate them first. When I found berries or onions, I ate them. And so I managed to nurse my dwindling supply of pies through the more desolate stretches of land.

And so I travelled. For yalms and yalms I travelled, always to the north and west, just looking for any sign of people.

And so I travelled. For yalms and yalms I travelled, always to the north and west, just looking for any sign of people.

And so...

I found something. There are rabbit families around here, and cactuses that have fruit. I searched in a wide circle around the area. And I found...

Graves.

I found the remains of what looked like a failed Eve's outpost. There was a kiln, and some domestic berry bushes. But... there were no people. Only graves. I moved on.

And... I'm getting old. It's getting harder to find the energy to move on. But the crown must pass on. I must find a worthy successor to the East family lineage before I die.

And so I travelled. But my pies are running out. More and more of my time is spent on foraging, rather than travelling. And I start to feel the first pangs of despair.

Is this nothing but a desolate wasteland? Is there nobody else out there? I cry out against the wind. I curse fate, for failing to give my mother the daughter she needed. I curse myself, for the sin of having been born male.

The crown must pass on. But... there is nobody to pass it to.

Nobody at all.

I still cannot wear the crown. But I cannot continue. I stop in a little grassland. I'm surrounded by milkweed. In my despair, I can still take a moment to marvel at the sheer amount of milkweed I'm surrounded by. They're all flowering, like they were expecting me to arrive here.

Like they were expecting me to die here.

I can't go on. My energy is spent. I clutch mother's crown in my hands and cry. I curse fate once more for ending the East family lineage. And then... I lie down.

Death is... not as cold as I thought it would be. Perhaps... I tried hard enough? Am I not being punished for my failure to pass the crown?

Mother... I'm so sorry.

Last edited by ShadouFireborn (2018-09-25 18:34:46)

One person can easily destroy what has taken dozens of people to build. And they don't see anything wrong with it. They like to do it even. They fiercely defend their right to destroy. They'll do whatever it takes to get around any measures in place to prevent them from doing so.

What we do when there are no real consequences to our actions makes a rather sad statement about human nature.

#2 2018-09-24 16:20:56

WalrusesConquer

Re: (Story) The crown must pass on

Great story!

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#3 2018-09-24 23:38:14

NoraRose86

I love reading everyone’s stories, it’s amazing how many different lives we live in OHOL.

Thank you for your story!

Last edited by NoraRose86 (2018-09-24 23:38:37)

#4 2018-09-25 13:19:01

Russames

Isint this supposed to be in the story section, I don’t mind just curious.

#5 2018-09-25 13:27:58

ShadouFireborn

Russames wrote:

Isint this supposed to be in the story section, I don’t mind just curious.

The user stories board is locked, as far as I can tell. As I understand it, that board has to have Jason or a mod transfer the post to it from somewhere else. I don't see any place dedicated to us writing stories.

One person can easily destroy what has taken dozens of people to build. And they don't see anything wrong with it. They like to do it even. They fiercely defend their right to destroy. They'll do whatever it takes to get around any measures in place to prevent them from doing so.

What we do when there are no real consequences to our actions makes a rather sad statement about human nature.

#6 2018-09-25 14:12:44

Russames

im Fairly new around here and hadn’t noticed it was locked.
Sorry for the bother but thank you for the quick response.

Board footer