One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-13 20:58:42

Potjeh

Compartmentalize your villages, people

Every place I've been to has everything just jumbled together in the center. It gets impossible to find what you need, and it gets very hard to tell which carrots are for seeds. It'd be much easier if things were kept separate. Here's some area ideas:
- Newb farm - ye olde mass carrots, everyone can pick here and you actually don't want to let any carrots seed here and consume soil. Just make sure there's plenty of clay bowls for toddlers to water, and always fresh seeds in baskets next to the fields.
- Seed farm - a place run entirely by just one or two experienced farmers. Doesn't produce any carrots for consumption, only a little for compost. Main purpose is making carrot seeds for the newb farm, but does make some wheat for baker while making compost for own needs. Put as far away from newb farm as practical. This farm should also grow milkweed with any spare compost.
- Bakery - pies, of course. Bakers can't be efficient in clutter, so they should have their own little area with an oven, a couple of bowls, plenty of plates and enough baskets for those plates. Needs it's own hatchet for making firewood. A cistern might be good if you have too many toddlers on watering crops, some could instead bring water to bakers.
- Smithy/Potter - these are used only sporadically, so they can be combined. An area with half a dozen bowls with matching plates, spare clay and ore stored for when it's needed, and plenty of wood for kindling (workshop needs it's own hatchet). A box for tools (hammer, flat rock, file, tongs) would be nice too.
- Carpenter - where all your butt logs go. All carpentry tools as well, of course. Carpenters need lots of space for tools and materials, so they can't work in central clutter.
- Hunting lodge / tailor - on your nearest bunny area. Store rabbits and rabbit products here. Also a good place for thread. Just needs flint chip and bone needle for tools, but plenty of baskets are still needed for skinned bunnies. Ideally next to bakery, to make baking rabbit pie more convenient.

I think this covers the basics. I'd put a central area which is just random storage and the communal fire, and the other areas clustered around it. When you have a baby, make sure to take it around all the areas and tell them which is which.

Last edited by Potjeh (2018-03-13 21:02:40)

#2 2018-03-13 21:18:55

Left4twenty

Re: Compartmentalize your villages, people

Most places are in disarray die to the struggle to survive.  It's survive, it's a give and take.  You need to survive to have time for organize society, but society needs to be organized to survive efficiently.  Without clearly defined leadership in a village there's not much that can be done more creating districts apart from the farm because it's space is obvious.  On the "we need leaders" thread I posted about the crowns being used to establish who's in charge of what, And I feel it's a promising and intuitive idea

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#3 2018-03-13 21:38:40

coderone

Often times, and i feel like this is always the case. New players come in and move stuff around, leave axes in the woods. Drop rabbit bones anywhere they can. Even with best organization and best leadership, few new players will always cause disorganization, clutter, food drain. All the threads I see about how we can better advance our selves is great and true, but its all for not because the players that really need to read this are not in these forums. What to do......

Edit: Please note, im talking about villages. Sure small farms its easier to get a handle on them, easier to follow and watch because not much is going on. Villages, with so many people moving around I dont know who the new guy was, where bob went, is sally dead ?

Last edited by coderone (2018-03-13 21:41:08)

#4 2018-03-13 21:53:15

Potjeh

That's why you leave them the center and newb farm to mess around in. As a competent player, you should move a little bit away so the newbs aren't under your feet, and if there's no seed farm build a seed farm. If there's one make a bakery or something else. Bring your products where they needed in center, and try to get one of the kids as apprentice, he can take over goods delivery for starter and you can explain to them the rest of the job by the time you die of old age. Male apprentices are better because they don't get distracted by babies.

But yeah, we definitely need a way to tell people apart.

Last edited by Potjeh (2018-03-13 21:53:54)

#5 2018-03-13 22:19:43

Yogotronik

I really like the newb and seeding farm idea. I don't have much experience with the rest yet, but I'll put in my two cents.

Cook/Matriarch/Firewarden: Taking care of babies, a fire, and cooking rabbits is a full time job. It also requires a fair amount of space to organize the firewood and rabbit parts.

Tailor: Direct hunters and manage furs, milkweed stalks, string and prioritize what clothes the village needs. The world needs more backpacks, wolf hats, and coats.

#6 2018-03-14 09:03:05

Hans Lemurson

Zoning regulations!

#7 2018-03-15 00:28:56

shoukanjuu

As a start, try to get people to build ovens a screen away from kilns/forges, and maybe have the central fire in between and a screen below.

#8 2018-03-15 00:33:45

Portager

My usual strategy, when I am rebuilding a large camp is to "hide" a few plots of carrots on the outskirts of the camp. These become the backup seeding carrots in case the rest of the kin pick all the carrots at the main patch without letting any seed. I try to choose locations that not many people would visit, normally a rocky area by a bear cave if one isn't far lol. smile

#9 2018-03-15 06:14:06

Dogamai

Yogotronik wrote:

cooking rabbits is a full time job

you should really not be cooking rabbits.   they should go in pies.

#10 2018-03-15 06:15:08

Dogamai

Portager wrote:

My usual strategy, when I am rebuilding a large camp is to "hide" a few plots of carrots on the outskirts of the camp. These become the backup seeding carrots in case the rest of the kin pick all the carrots at the main patch without letting any seed. I try to choose locations that not many people would visit, normally a rocky area by a bear cave if one isn't far lol. smile

i do this,  I also like to hide a seeding row behind a tree

#11 2018-03-15 06:16:13

Dogamai

a lot of these problems would be more easily reconciled once a village gets large if we only had a SLEDGEHAMMER

Board footer