One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-20 18:27:44

Kailied

New Tree Saplings

Credit to Sharlank for digging around to find the sprites.
Bonsai, Maple, Yew, Juniper, Pine & Poplar saplings.
I will update this as we find more sprites. Currently it seems Jason hasn't fully implemented them all on Github yet, but we'll keep looking out for them.

Last edited by Kailied (2018-09-20 18:31:53)

#2 2018-09-20 18:56:36

Turnipseed

Re: New Tree Saplings

Every town will now have plenty of shafts hooray

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#3 2018-09-20 19:22:57

Dodge

No dead tree sapling? im really disapointed tongue

#4 2018-09-20 19:36:42

Booklat1

I hope tree farming is really water demanding. Just to ballance it out you know? Also would be an incentive for people to use cisterns more often.

#5 2018-09-20 19:47:55

Turnipseed

Dodge wrote:

No dead tree sapling? im really disapointed tongue

Lol im sure there will be. These are just cherry picked teaser pics

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#6 2018-09-20 19:51:22

Tarr
Banned

Booklat1 wrote:

I hope tree farming is really water demanding. Just to ballance it out you know? Also would be an incentive for people to use cisterns more often.

I'd rather it be something like it takes a few generation to get a full tree but each generation has to be mindful to take care of your trees kind of like a mini bell tower project.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2018-09-20 20:28:14

voy178

Tarr wrote:
Booklat1 wrote:

I'd rather it be something like it takes a few generation to get a full tree but each generation has to be mindful to take care of your trees kind of like a mini bell tower project.

An hour or two would not be unrealistic for a sapling to grow to a full tree. Forestry is a generation project in real life too, as we all know. But having it take more than two generations would be really boring.

Wood and other non-replenishing resources are so finite that it gets boring if you run out and have to go really far to get more. It makes city-building near impossible.

#8 2018-09-20 20:45:02

Kailied

voy178 wrote:
Tarr wrote:
Booklat1 wrote:

An hour or two would not be unrealistic for a sapling to grow to a full tree. Forestry is a generation project in real life too, as we all know. But having it take more than two generations would be really boring.

Wood and other non-replenishing resources are so finite that it gets boring if you run out and have to go really far to get more. It makes city-building near impossible.

Doesn't it take something like 100 years for an oak to fully mature? If so, it would make a lot of sense to have it be at 100 minutes, or 2 hours, or something similar. I also don't think there will be a dead tree @Dodge since those are dead, meaning you can't grow a dead sapling right? xP And the swamp trees no either, cause they're just for wood, whereas all these trees give a branch except juniper, but that gives us tinder.

#9 2018-09-20 21:05:19

hmrka

Bonsai tree will grow into jungle tree or something new? Also I think It should take three-two hours to grow. Im still waiting for dogs to be useful but planting some trees is fine too

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#10 2018-09-20 21:09:57

Kailied

hmrka wrote:

Bonsai tree will grow into jungle tree or something new? Also I think It should take three-two hours to grow. Im still waiting for dogs to be useful but planting some trees is fine too

Bonsais will be limited to yew bonsais. We haven't yet seen the sprites for the fully grown bonsai yet, but I'm keeping the post updated as we find more, so make sure to look in every now and then!

#11 2018-09-20 21:30:57

Tarr
Banned

hmrka wrote:

Well we already know yew bonsais can go ancient so that's a ten hour process on one aspect of one tree.

fug it’s Tarr.

#12 2018-09-21 01:08:39

SomeRandomPerson

Isn't Bonsai just for decoration, that's fine since we can use them to liven up towns a little. Will they work like potted plants?

Anyway I'm exited for this update, I feel like it will help us a great deal. We can do stuff like plant Jupiter trees right near fire spots and not worry about chopping down trees once you have a farm. Plus we can expand into more biomes since we can just clear out all the trees and replant them elsewhere.

Wonder if we'll get fruit trees at some point too.

Last edited by SomeRandomPerson (2018-09-21 02:17:22)

#13 2018-09-21 02:27:31

boggers

Saw some planted maple saplings in game. Stackable flat rocks too. Anything else new?

Last edited by boggers (2018-09-21 02:28:00)

#14 2018-09-21 02:30:11

UnnoticedShadow

THERE HERE?!?

#15 2018-09-21 05:03:43

gabal

How about fruit trees? I want to plant an apple orchard.

#16 2018-09-21 05:05:22

Monolith_Rans

Get ready to make even more bowls.  The bonsai grief is coming.  sh*t

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#17 2018-09-21 07:51:21

sanchez

Past few updates have been subpar
Dogs that are useless
Trees that grow more than a century.
What next?
Mine for flat rocks that take millennium to construct? And another millennium to start harvesting?
Quick refference
Maple
Some trees are slow growers (20-30 years to reach full size) and some are fast (10-15 years). Red maple (Acer rubrum) is a moderately fast grower; given good growing conditions, it should put on 1-2 feet of growth per year once established.
Poplar

GROWTH PER YEAR:    8-10 ft
HEIGHT IN 3 YEARS:    30-40 ft
MATURE HEIGHT:    40-60 ft
Basically a weed

TlDr
Trees should not  take that long to grow

#18 2018-09-21 09:08:40

VioletLily

I witnessed maple saplings growing into mature maples in my last life!  Pretty cool smile

The time trees take to grow varies a lot depending on species, subspecies, region, environmental conditions, etc. I see no problem with making trees in-game take a while to grow. If your town is to the point where you find yourself needing to plant them, then it should be able to last the generation or two it could take for the trees to grow.

Some random tree facts:

The maples in my area take around 10-20 years to reach the height they are in game (depending on soil quality, amount sunlight/water, etc). They take another 30+ years to grow to full heght. (Keep in mind I use 'full height' loosely. They will keep growing until something causes them to break down or rot, although only marginally after about 50 years) They can get pretty big here, bigger than they would in most other climates.
They like the temperate rainforest we have in this region. They can reach upwards of 100 ft tall and live up to 300 years in the right conditions.

Oaks take much longer to reach maturity, about 100 years. They are very slow-growing. It is one of the reasons oak wood is so expensive. I have a 125-150 year old oak in my yard. It's been here longer than my town has. They have been known to live over 1000 years in the right conditions and can grow upwards of 70 ft tall, although it's the oak tree's spred that is most impressive with a radius that can reach over 150 ft. Just imagine a tree that's almost twice the length of an American football field. They can be massive in their old age.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-09-21 09:22:33)

#19 2018-09-21 11:27:32

arkajalka

gabal wrote:

In colder climates every apple tree is grafted. Which means that its seeable part with the fruit has had roots of a plant added from a different apple strain that withstands more harsher enviroments, but produces crappy apples.

So crappy fruit apple tree has good roots.
And the good fruit one has crappy roots.

You cut the better part of em from specific point and add em together and you get a apple tree that has good roots with good fruit.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#20 2018-09-21 17:56:04

Kailied

sanchez wrote:

Past few updates have been subpar
Dogs that are useless
Trees that grow more than a century.
What next?
Mine for flat rocks that take millennium to construct? And another millennium to start harvesting?
Quick refference
Maple
Some trees are slow growers (20-30 years to reach full size) and some are fast (10-15 years). Red maple (Acer rubrum) is a moderately fast grower; given good growing conditions, it should put on 1-2 feet of growth per year once established.
Poplar

GROWTH PER YEAR:    8-10 ft
HEIGHT IN 3 YEARS:    30-40 ft
MATURE HEIGHT:    40-60 ft
Basically a weed

TlDr
Trees should not  take that long to grow

You wait an hour for long branches for fence kits. I don't see why growing a whole tree taking an hour is a big deal..
How ungrateful can you get? We've gotten amazing updates, pushing out griefers, all the new little things, some new stackables, bugfixes, TREE FARMING is great! (Found out today Juniper is not a thing, I believe the "Juniper" I thought is maybe a bonsai after it's gone through it's first stage, perhaps..)
Not everything in this game is entirely realistic either, so.. Try be be grateful for what you DO get instead of what you don't get.
Jason is developing the game all by himself, handling emails, refunds, looking at forums, reddit, discord, drawing everything on his own, and most of the sounds mouth made, while also living life with his family too. You can't expect a whole lot here, be happy it gets updated.

#21 2018-09-21 17:58:11

Matisz

Is this something that is potentially coming up (referenced by jason somewhere) or all just speculation/hope at the moment?  I don't know why but I'm really looking forward to a tree planting update...

#22 2018-09-21 18:14:38

voy178

Matisz wrote:

Is this something that is potentially coming up (referenced by jason somewhere) or all just speculation/hope at the moment?  I don't know why but I'm really looking forward to a tree planting update...

It's already live. The Storm settlement has a big area dedicated to tree farming.

Don't believe me, then try to stack flat rock together and be amazed how that's a thing now.

#23 2018-09-21 19:03:47

gabal

arkajalka wrote:
gabal wrote:

In colder climates every apple tree is grafted. Which means that its seeable part with the fruit has had roots of a plant added from a different apple strain that withstands more harsher enviroments, but produces crappy apples.

You cut the better part of em from specific point and add em together and you get a apple tree that has good roots with good fruit.

I know what grafting is, my grandparents had tangerine orchard. One of the grafts was from a wild rose and occasionally a branch would be just thorns so you had to cut it out.

Not sure how you would grating in game though...

#24 2018-09-22 04:58:18

twice

My civilization just figured it out. So hapy when we found it lol

p.s. actually i think it was added to the game so we have easier time to figured it out

Last edited by twice (2018-09-22 04:59:04)

#25 2018-09-22 10:02:41

arkajalka

gabal wrote:
arkajalka wrote:
gabal wrote:

I know what grafting is, my grandparents had tangerine orchard. One of the grafts was from a wild rose and occasionally a branch would be just thorns so you had to cut it out.

Not sure how you would grating in game though...

Ain't that hard, use knife on a sapling-->two parts root and the upper, then just combine the desired parts-->sapling of sorts.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

Board footer