One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-01 14:57:43

jcwilk

Died of old age but still spawned in a random (?) location

IIUC the "respawn near where you died if you die of old age" feature is mostly just a band-aid for the server being mostly empty for now, so maybe this isn't important, but figured I'd note it anyways.

I died of old age and came back a day or two later (after closing the client of course) and when I spawned I became an eve but it was not in my previous homestead, it was in an area I'd never seen before.

The interesting thing is that I spawned right in the middle of someone else's homestead. It made me wonder if it somehow mixed up my last spawn area and someone else's.

It would be really cool if the respawn-nearby-on-old-age-death feature was reliable though... It's difficult/impossible to get to the endgame when we keep spawning in different areas even when we're not starving or getting killed. It's also a lot easier to test multiplayer aspects of the game when the same people can keep spawning in the same place.

It's kind of a tricky thing to test because I can only check it once per hour that I'm playing, but maybe it had to do with the fact that I closed the client before spawning again? I assumed that it doesn't matter since being able to close the client is kind of essential unless you have a 5 or 6 hour block open to be able to make progress across the board.

Let me know if you need more information.

#2 2018-01-02 16:22:04

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Died of old age but still spawned in a random (?) location

Yeah, it should work, even if you closed the client.

BUT... it should only work if your cause of death was really OLD AGE.  If you made it almost to the end, but starved, it won't work.

OH... and one other thing, it should only work if you yourself were Eve in that life when you got old.  So, if you were born as a baby and lived to old age, you are part of a multiplayer civ, and progress dies with you, unless you have offspring to keep it going.

The respawn location-saving really only works in a truly single-player situation.

SO.... if all those things were true, and it still didn't work.... it's a bug, and a really troubling one.

Do you have any info about exactly when this happened?  Then I can look in the server logs.

You can look at your recordedGame files (copy one to playbackGame to watch it) to figure out the timestamp.

#3 2018-03-02 08:28:01

Computer1633

Jason, just FYI I just tested this out myself and you do indeed respawn to a random location after a clean old age death. I spawned in as an Eve and immediately ran West for about 5 minutes so I was away from everyone. I then setup a home marker and stayed alive and fully fed near that marker till I dies at age 60 of Old Age. When I respawned immediately after I was born to a mother in an established village and not anywhere near my death/home site. I also did not close the game client between lives.

#4 2018-03-02 15:56:28

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, it only works if there are no mothers to have you as a baby in the next life.

Your death location should be remembered if you're ever Eve again, though.

Eve is an edge case that only happens if there's no other choice.  Thus, you should be born as a baby 95% of the time.

#5 2018-05-11 06:27:24

Zackreaver

I just tested this out, and it appears to work, I spawned pretty much directly next to where my previous eve died of old age.  I have not however, checked to see if it works after the client shuts down.  I have only done it while the client was still running.

Last edited by Zackreaver (2018-05-11 07:19:09)

#6 2018-05-11 14:55:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This is all happening server-side.

When you die in the game, the client disconnects from the server, and the server can't tell if you shut down the client between lives or not.

So yeah, I think this is all working as intended.

#7 2018-05-11 18:07:37

Spockulon

jasonrohrer wrote:

This is all happening server-side.

When you die in the game, the client disconnects from the server, and the server can't tell if you shut down the client between lives or not.

So yeah, I think this is all working as intended.

This might be an opportune time for me to bring up an interesting glitch. I play on a laptop as it's convenient. At times I have shut the lid of my laptop, while in the middle of playing the game, but before death (and so obviously before disconnecting from the client). Most of the time this is accidental (e.g. my dogs jumped in my lap, I dropped the damn laptop trying to pick something up, too tired to look at the screen).

So my laptop, for whatever reason, enters either sleep-mode or hibernation-mode when the lid is shut. When this happens and I have left the client up while alive in game, upon logging in, I find the client is still fully active, but I have of course died in game at this point. So the client "greets" me like this:

CAUSE OF DEATH: CONNECTION LOST

This obviously doesn't bother me, it doesn't seem to affect gameplay at all for me, but I didn't know if you were aware of this or if it affects any of the game's statistics. I will admit my knowledge of games is more focused on game mechanics and logic, and I do not possess any useful coding knowledge.

However, I did want to make you aware and it seemed to fit (however slightly) with the topic here.

If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean (the village, that is)!

#8 2018-05-11 19:56:41

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This is not a bug, actually.

When the laptop goes to sleep, it stops checking the network until it wakes up.

The server eventually has you starve to death and breaks the connection to you, but the client misses all of this.

When the laptop wakes up, the client checks the network and sees the connection is lost.  It measures how long you were alive, and shows you that message.

Of course, you weren't really alive that long server-side.  It has no effect on server-side stats.

I suppose the client could paper-over this with an "AGE UNKNOWN" message or something, but it's a rare enough case that it probably doesn't matter.

#9 2018-05-11 20:20:13

Spockulon

Awesome to know!

I was pretty confident that you had already thought of this, but there was always a slight twinge of guilt on my side in thinking that my laziness was affecting others. Thanks, Jason!

If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean (the village, that is)!

#10 2018-05-12 03:16:49

Zackreaver

Hey jason, I just want to say, thank you for this amazing change.  Finally I don't feel like I'm getting screwed over by bad luck after surviving entirely on my own as an eve, now if I don't get any children as an eve, I at least have the luxury of knowing that I can continue onwards.

Considering how difficult it is to keep yourself alive at all times as an eve, and considering anyone could at any point come and murder you, this change makes being an eve and playing with friends possible, while also fixing the suicide baby problem.  I like how things are going with this game and I'm looking forward to more updates.

Please keep this feature on eve's, At last I have a reason to die of old age, instead of just dying sooner.

Board footer