One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-14 17:22:28

Stylingirl

Pit Bulls get a bad reputation

For those of you who aren't aware, this week's update is dogs. In the live dev changes, Jason has added multiple breeds including the pit bull. But he also has made pit bulls the only breed that is deadly and can be shot by default. It upsets me that this bias against the breed is being added into the game.

This link https://www.livescience.com/27145-are-p … erous.html gives facts, studies, and explanations as to why pit bulls are perceived to be so bad. In fact there are multiple breeds of dogs that cause more injuries than others, including the German Shepard which is also being added into the game. And yet, only the pit bull is unique in the deadly by default aspect.

Dogs who are more aggressive and likely to cause injuries are more likely to have an owner that has been convicted of violent crimes. This is a fact that affects all "aggressive" breeds and it means they have also most likely been abused. So yes, they do cause harm, but that can be attributed to their environment and owner rather than their breed alone.

So I am making this post to ask Jason to please consider removing this from the game because I don't think pit bulls should receive this kind of undeserved prejudice.

#2 2018-09-14 17:34:47

boggers

Re: Pit Bulls get a bad reputation

Have you seen Jason's other game, Castle Doctrine?

#3 2018-09-14 17:36:40

Sharlank

A proposal could be to MAKE some dog breeds deadly, instead of picking one and making it deadly by default. A possible way to turn some breeds deadly would be hitting them with a round stone.

#4 2018-09-14 17:43:05

MultiLife

Maybe they shouldn't be real breeds at all and rather fun mixes. Like all mutts, some with bigger snout and teeth and some more fluffy shepherd dog kinds.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#5 2018-09-14 18:08:07

Jk Howling

Honestly that upsets me as well. The fact that pit bulls [which are commonly misidentified breed-wise as it is] are going to be given this cruel stereotype in the game, solely because they're so misconceived in the real world as vicious, dangerous, and 'evil' just rubs me the wrong way.

If you're going to make one breed dangerous solely because of controversial opinions about them, then make other dangerous breeds deadly as well :/ Or better yet, none of them.

We can't control environmental factors that'll affect how dogs in this gave behave. Don't give dogs personality-based traits if we can't help determine those personality traits by raising them. A German Shepherd abused as it's raised will be a lot more aggressive than a Pit Bull that was raised with love and affection, now wouldn't it?

All dogs are dangerous and have the same capability to cause injury to any person around them. It depends how they were raised. Environmental factors play a HUGE role in any animal's behavior. No breed is exempt from this, and no breed is born aggressive.

Some fun facts:

• Did you know you're more likely to be bit by a small breed such as a Chihuahua, than a Pit Bull?

• Did you know you have a a 1 in 112,400 chance to be killed by a dog bite, and that 25% of fatal dog bites were inflicted by mixed breeds?

• Did you know that 81% of dog bites cause no injury at all or only minor injuries that do not require medial attention?

• Did you know 30+ breeds of dogs and mixes are incorrectly identified as “pit bulls”* in dog bite incidents?

• Did you know cows kill more people yearly than dogs do?

• Did you know being charged by an injured, rampaging bison isn't perfectly safe? I didn't either!! Shocking, right?

• Some other interesting facts and history

Edit: Some sources

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-09-14 18:13:25)

-Has ascended to better games-

#6 2018-09-14 18:31:11

Anshin

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-stati … s-2017.php

2017 fatal dog attacks by breed
2017-dog-bite-fatality-chart.gif

Hmmmmmmmmm.......
mp%2C550x550%2Cmatte%2Cffffff%2Ct.3u1.jpg

#7 2018-09-14 18:44:52

Sharlank

For the sake of statistics, this would make a better graph rather than a single year
6OG7AJT.png

A proposal could be to MAKE some dog breeds deadly, instead of picking one and making it deadly by default. A possible way to turn some breeds deadly would be hitting them with a round stone.

That said, we could make deadly only the pit bulls and german sheperds with the stone thing (since rottweilers aren't in game as far as I know).

Last edited by Sharlank (2018-09-14 18:49:20)

#8 2018-09-14 18:54:22

Stylingirl

According to those facts, children younger than two years and adults older than 50 totaled 28 (~72%) out of the 39 fatal attacks. Only 6 of the pit bulls were known to be sterilized (a method used to lessen aggression). Five (13%) of the dog bite fatality victims "were either visiting or living temporarily with the dog's owner when the fatal attack occurred, down from a record 42% high in 2016."

Edit: Added source

#9 2018-09-14 19:20:15

Jk Howling

You also have to keep in mind a previous quote of mine:

Did you know 30+ breeds of dogs and mixes are incorrectly identified as “pit bulls”* in dog bite incidents?

How do you know all those claimed pit-bull attacks were actually a pit bull? A vast majority of these cases are solely based on visual clues- it "looks" like a pit bull therefore it must be one!!1 Besides, I highly doubt only 17 of those dogs were "mixed breed." A vast majority of animals, especially thosed involved in dog attacks, are not purebreds.

They rarely do a proper dna breed testing for any of these animals, however.. Why waste the resources, right? A vicious dog is a vicious dog! If it looks like a pit bull, it must be one. Who cares if its a mutt with mostly Husky in it, it doesn't look like a husky so it's probably not one :D /s

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-09-14 19:23:00)

-Has ascended to better games-

#10 2018-09-14 19:28:54

jasonrohrer
Administrator

You have your break-stick handy Stylin?

What got me thinking about this originally was having my pregnant wife attacked by a vicious dog in Las Cruces.

In fact, I wrote a whole article about it here:

http://thecastledoctrine.net/seedBlogs. … how_date=1

As for why I continue the tradition of pit bulls being deadly in this game.... it's in part a little nod to The Castle Doctrine.  And yes, most people who are killed by pit bulls are the owners or their family members, so the rest of us don't have to worry too much!

People do still intentionally weaponize their dogs, and especially their pit bulls.  Spring poles and all that other stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwm0OwqWvF4

#11 2018-09-14 19:31:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Also, those stats are not just about "attacks," which of course happen all the time from all different kinds of dogs.

Those stats are about fatalities.

If a pit bull decides to attack you, the chances of it ending in fatality are higher.

Chihuahuas bite and attack people a lot, but very rarely kill people.

#12 2018-09-14 19:33:18

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Also, I may eventually add a weaponization step (like... training your pit to attack or whatever by beating it with a club).  I didn't have time to add that this week.

#13 2018-09-14 19:35:40

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Also, just so you get the vibe.... I'm laughing my head off over here.  There's something about gigantic pit bulls attacking that I find endlessly funny.

Human folly, I guess.

This little weak human trying to control this massive monster on the end of the leash and getting dragged along shouting, "No, Titus, down boy!"

#14 2018-09-14 19:41:25

Stylingirl

Yeah i don't mind the weaponization step as long as it doesn't apply to just one breed. As for the funny factor imagine walking great danes, those beasts will drag you down the street in 10 seconds.

#15 2018-09-14 19:48:05

boggers

I'm all for deadly pitbulls.

Bring back magic dances and combo locks too!

PS Castle Doctrine is really slow of late, the top house is only worth about 40k. It's mine. Come at me bro.

#16 2018-09-14 21:02:48

VioletLily

I don't think I have ever met a vicious pit bull. I have no problem with them being potrayed as such in game though. They were bred to be fighting dogs after all. They were also bred to have a fierce loyalty to their owners, making them some of the most loyal dogs you can find. That is why they make such good family dogs if raised right. It is also why they are willing to fight to the death for their owners if persuaded. (Not that I support raising dogs in real life to be agressive. I don't)

Chihuahuas on the other hand, those things just tend to be out right mean. It is suspected that they were bred to hunt rats. Have you ever seen a wild rat fight? There are some kind ones out there but, generally, it takes some training to override their agressive tendencies. They tend to be cat-like in their personalities as well, in the way that they tend to do things for their own benefit rather than their owner's. It's a good thing that they are too small to do to much damage to humans.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-09-15 00:31:49)

#17 2018-09-14 21:54:38

Booklat1

good post, +1

#18 2018-09-15 04:10:42

EllynEve

Cursed people being able to breed dogs, non discriminate of breed, that end up as feral and EVIL.

Just a fun suggestion.

#19 2018-09-15 04:17:33

Monolith_Rans

There are so many more pits out there than german shepards.  80% of the dogs you see are pits.  thats why the statistic is high.

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

Board footer