One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-08 14:23:23

Gachl

[Suggestion] Carving signs

I think that signs could help a lot with organisation. And also could be fun to randomly stumble upon some.

Anyway, since there aren't any dyes or the likes, and blood doesn't make for a good ink, I think it would make sense to use flint chips or sharp stones to carve a sign.

And obviously the signs would have to be limited to a few words. I'd say 20 characters should be plenty for the usual "carrot seeds" or "RIP me".

Any chance to get some sort of persistent writeable object like this in the current era? Or do you think that writing wouldn't be around yet? Maybe instead of text we can pick from a list of symbols that are carved into the sign? Also should it be flat rock based or made from wood?

Last edited by Gachl (2018-03-08 14:25:10)

#2 2018-03-08 15:33:58

johnnyburninator

Re: [Suggestion] Carving signs

It is interesting to think about when to introduce knowledge-based tech like writing and language. The other more physical tech trees have defined pre-requisites. We certainly have the tools to make a wooden sign or even engraving stone with steel tools, so one option is to just add the feature.

To mimic real-life history, some sort of philosopher task would be needed -- a person who devotes a life-time to thought. And then (getting excited now), the knowledge would need to be taught generation to generation. Like maybe you learn to read 4 letter words in first grade (age 6), 5 letter words the next year, etc. This could happen automatically if people nearby know how to read, to avoid having to build schools and dedicated teacher-players.

"The world is only this way because we made it so in our ignorance." -Uncle Gus

#3 2018-03-08 16:56:12

Gachl

For now it's probably overkill to have knowledge-based tech since there is no system in place for that right now. And I think it would be impossible to implement something like this using player to player based teaching like it's currently the way, not sure tho. In the future when there are cities and societies this could be very interesting. I wonder if there will be character skills at some point.

But maybe reading is like knowing the crafting recipes, it's a meta skill of the player. At some point you're born as a baby with full skill and knowledge of how to craft, farm, hunt and build, and speak. The only limit by age is word length and even then you can write whole sentences by saying each word individually. I think maybe reading and/or writing can fall in the same category of meta skills, only being limited with age. Then there's no need to keep track of a character based skill.

#4 2018-03-08 17:55:25

johnnyburninator

Gachl wrote:

For now it's probably overkill to have knowledge-based tech...

But maybe reading is like knowing the crafting recipes, it's a meta skill of the player. ... The only limit by age is word length...

I agree. I like the idea of meta skill. Some random substitution to obscure long words at a young age is how I picture it.

I imagine that Jason will add writing when it seems to line up historically. According to CivIV it's after pottery smile. http://gamestudies.org/articleimages/10 … _CivIV.jpg

"The world is only this way because we made it so in our ignorance." -Uncle Gus

#5 2018-03-08 20:04:17

TLyon

I would love this. In fact, I have already thought about this and I bought the game yesterday, and I'm sure a lot of people have thought about it as well. This would be so useful in order to maintain your village alive.

Last edited by TLyon (2018-03-08 20:04:58)

#6 2018-03-11 23:30:40

Fred 315

I would also like to suggest using signs for the game. When first spawning it is very likely you don't spawn into an area with civilization already set. It would be nice to see little hints, perhaps left by previous players, as to where you can go to find civilization. I also agree that symbols may be more appropriate than wording, but it would be nice to see something like (symbol, arrow) to at least suggest to players who just spawn in where civilization might be. I admit this is rudimentary and may repeat already suggested information, but please consider adding signs as a way to help players navigate even if they don't find civilization they may be able to find previous players attempts and keep those first startups moving forward.

#7 2018-03-12 00:42:16

Daebak

I like the idea of having signs Ive been reading here and there. But since this game is also born as baby and die by old age. I do think reading should be earned aswell and babies cant read signs.
Either they have to wait until suttern age for the words on the signs to be revealed or they must do something that can considered 'become smart enough to read' to actual able to read writings.

#8 2018-03-12 01:10:54

Fred 315

I agree babies cannot read, but if you spawn as Eve or other similar character they are still optional, as I said still rudimentary, but some attention may need to be considered. Hope to hear from other players on this too.

#9 2018-03-12 07:42:08

Hans Lemurson

I was about so suggest something like this myself.

I think signs or writing of any sort is essential if this civilization is going to advance beyond carrots and infanticide. 
Signs for organizing supplies (put water here)
Signs for production procedures (make many pies before lighting the oven)
Signs for managing the fields (this plot is for seeds, harvest all the others)
Signs for laying out the laws of the tribe.

Signs will become the living tradition of a location, since there's just no time to pass that on to the new generation.  You're just too busy trying to get stuff done, and the people tending/feeding the babies don't have enough experience in the village.

#10 2018-03-14 11:39:53

MrFineGentleman

Perhaps a possible reading mechanic would be consuming expensive books in order to write and read language. This mean a civ can't afford high literacy which mean only elders and respected players get to learn to read, which is what happen historically. There also should be symbols that's allowed for the commoners to read and perhaps the sprite for the sign will change with symbols drawn on it for convenience.

Another possible reading mechanic would be to just changing the written alphabet to other symbols. It'll still be English, but you have to familiarize yourself with a different set of alphabets. This also keep with the theme of passed on knowledge as a parent can teach their kids how to read.

Also, while it's obvious, a sign should be unmovable or a hassle so there's a reason to craft books and clay tablets(early alternative for books, possibly symbols only) which would be easier to transport and use. Also, clay tablets should decay(10 minutes possibly) if not used or burned(No longer allow future writing but save the tablet from decaying).

#11 2018-03-14 11:59:26

Daebak

MrFineGentleman wrote:

This mean a civ can't afford high literacy which mean only elders and respected players get to learn to read, ...

I was caught attention to this "respected players", when people took time to play OHOL then those will be awarded to be able to read after set of total playtime.

MrFineGentleman wrote:

Another possible reading mechanic would be to just changing the written alphabet to other symbols. It'll still be English, but you have to familiarize yourself with a different set of alphabets.

I like this idea aswell and make it changeable after an update once a month or so.
Our known aplhabet starts ofcourse with aplha, beta, charlie, ... 

But you receive a row of numbers from 1 to 26.
Under each number you have to figure out the in-game alphabet.

#12 2018-03-14 13:09:31

MrFineGentleman

Daebak wrote:

I was caught attention to this "respected players", when people took time to play OHOL then those will be awarded to be able to read after set of total playtime.

Well I was actually referring to an item upgrade system with an item so hard to craft that it will be rare, that allow a player to read and write(commoners can still draw pictures). Because of the item rarity, it would most likely be given to a trusted, respected player, which most likely will be elders, much like how due to the rarity of the wolf hat(which is still quite easy to get) only village leaders, hunters and elders is often found wearing it. This also mean as technology evolves and productivity increase, crafting the item will be easier allowing higher literacy per population. Also, the complexity of the item will likely result in it recipe being a secret only given to trusted player, so a noob, a selfish or a troll can't just waltz in and waste the town resource to gain literacy.

I had also thought of play time reward at first, but I just think it is too meta, don't go with theme of the game,  don't make much sense, and less fun.

edit : Also what I mean by changing the alphabet is just something simple such as when you use your keyboard and type "Hello" normally, the result would be "Łæđđē". This mean you can still write normally, but to read it you need to be familiar with the alphabet. It also mean you can learn the language just by picking a book and writing all of the 26 letters to see what change into what like H=Ł or by writing a book with 26 of the alphabet much like a kindergarden would have ABC book for kid to use. The letter could be as foreign as reading Russian, as simple as flipping letter(A=F) or an entirely unique alien letters.

But your system could also work.

Last edited by MrFineGentleman (2018-03-14 13:27:11)

Board footer