One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-11 09:58:13

Tarr
Banned

Suggestion: Buff pigs.

As the title suggests pigs in their current state are griefing to have around a village. I was super excited when they were first released into the game but since the pig hands syndrome fix they've had little to no value. Obviously I'm not here to suggest allowing containable fed piglets again (basically if someone picked up an adult pig out of a container it would be stuck in their hands until they died unless they knew how to fix it) but I do think they need some love.

Why are pigs bad?

-Their bones don't disappear. If you butcher a pig at any point in time you're left with a permanent skeleton that has to occupy either a basket or left somewhere off to the side. Most of the time however you end up losing five tiles or one tile and four bowls. Not good.

-Domestic boars will injure people. I learned this the hard way day one of their release. Also since domestic boars are coded like other domestic animals they charge people. Whether it be with piglet or alone these things are annoying if not contained properly.

-Domestic boars are unkillable with piglet. If you thought the idea of a dangerous animal charging you at a quick speed was bad wait until it has a piglet. You cannot kill a domestic boar until the piglet falls off of the mother.

-The only thing pigs produce is near unusable meat. With the amount of hassle you go through for an adult pig butchering one has negative value. As stated before you get bones that do not disappear and meat used in one recipe that is a hassle to make.

How do we fix pigs? Some suggestions here:

-Carnitas are actually edible. Just set each bowl of carnitas to five food per bowl when you eat it. At least now you can get your bowl back when someone decides to shove pork in a bowl. This ends up bringing each butchered pig up to twenty food total which is terrible. People already don't farm eggs by feeding geese a bowl of corn kernels so I really doubt this change causes people to farm pigs.

-Pig bones disappear with time. This is just a straight given as there's no reason pig bones should outlive family lineages.

-Piglets poop when growing up. I have no idea why lambs have the monopoly on pooping in game as of current. To balance this either require the piglet to eat a bowl of berries + corn cob or have the piglet require multiple feedings to grow into a pig.

hungry piglet > piglet > fed piglet > well fed piglet > adult pig.

I'm sure other people have different ideas but I think it's goofy to have a domesticated animal in game that is just a straight detriment to town.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-09-11 10:01:26)

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2018-09-11 10:30:03

Roblor

Re: Suggestion: Buff pigs.

The compost aspect would make a lot of sense. I know that real life small farmers use their pigs to dispose of waste aswell as getting manure. What would make pigs really useful is if they could clean out any bowl no matter what food item has rendered this bowl unusable for other purposes.
Dough has been left for too long and the bowl is now unusable due to the lack of a knife?
No problem! Just feed it to the pig.
Somebody has left a bowl with soaked beans, but you're too noob to make stew?
Easy; Here piggy!
It'd be OP if the pig gave manure for every feeding. Though, maybe the pig should need more than one feeding in that case? It would still justify the dangers of raising a deadly boar, if that is still to be a thing.

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#3 2018-09-11 10:43:18

Alleria

Bowl of pork?

No probs, just feed it to the pig and get 3 more than you had before!

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#4 2018-09-11 13:22:27

Booklat1

I think bacon would be fun, specially if you could add it to eggs to either make it last another serving or just add a bit more food.

maybe there could be uses for pig skin/hair?

also, a different sprite from mutton would be nice.

Last edited by Booklat1 (2018-09-11 13:26:56)

#5 2018-09-11 14:15:13

Dodge

Even with edible carnitas and pig poop it still wouldnt match the sheep that also gives fleece, but if the pig gave leather that would be another story

#6 2018-09-11 15:02:52

marsrider
Website

Up up up, please, Jason, add some love for pigs!

What's the most cruel sight you can see on OHOL? A bloody baby torn apart by a grizzly bear.

I'm Eve Planet, my children are usually called by planet names (Mars, Venus, Saturn etc), also Sun, Moon. Jedi, Joda and Skywalker are usually in the mix as well.

#7 2018-09-11 17:19:08

Tarr
Banned

Dodge wrote:

Even with edible carnitas and pig poop it still wouldnt match the sheep that also gives fleece, but if the pig gave leather that would be another story

The idea isn't to make the pigs as good as sheep but to at the very least make them useful. As it stands worms probably have more uses than pigs do currently in game (removing the worms from their pit allows mushrooms to grow) which is just sad.

Roblor wrote:

It'd be OP if the pig gave manure for every feeding

Yeah in the original post I was suggesting either a replacement to berry carrot as berry corn or multiple feeding steps to rebalance the idea of it changing to adult. It just seems a little goofy at the end of the day for one animal to have all the flexibility. (fleece, mutton, poop.)

Booklat1 wrote:

I think bacon would be fun, specially if you could add it to eggs to either make it last another serving or just add a bit more food.

maybe there could be uses for pig skin/hair?

also, a different sprite from mutton would be nice.

Yeah the sprites being different would be great maybe just make raw pork a lighter pink or something. There's a many different recipes pigs could be used for - bacon, pork rinds, ham. Anything sort of use would be better than what they've got going for them right now.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2018-09-11 21:20:09

Dodge

Definitly eating carnitas would be a good idea, since no one makes tacos, at least the ability to remove pork from bowl, btw im surprised that no one griefs the bowls with pork, this could easily destroy or at least slow down a town and make everyone mad

#9 2018-09-11 21:33:08

Anshin

Do dirty tortillas have a purpose?
Pigs should eat dirty tortillas.

#10 2018-09-11 22:32:57

Tarr
Banned

Anshin wrote:

Do dirty tortillas have a purpose?
Pigs should eat dirty tortillas.

Nope, dirty tortillas are just like pig bones. They don't degrade and only way to get rid of dirty tortillas as of current is to throw them in a trash pit.

Dodge wrote:

Definitly eating carnitas would be a good idea, since no one makes tacos, at least the ability to remove pork from bowl, btw im surprised that no one griefs the bowls with pork, this could easily destroy or at least slow down a town and make everyone mad

This is exactly why no one brings pigs to town. This used to happen whenever someone would bring a pig to town. Suddenly you lose access to a bunch of bowls and the only fix is to make tacos one at a time.

Carnitas can probably have a food value between 5~10 each. If we compare what one corn cob can turn into there's a giant powerlevel gap.

A pig - 0 pips.
Regular corn - 5 pips
Popcorn - 12 pips
Omelette - 19 pips
Goose (from the egg you get for feeding a domestic) - 20 pips
Skim milk - 72 pips
Whole milk - 126 pips

I'm docking a serving of whole milk since that's not always used effectively and can't keep a full bucket of whole milk without separating. Also not counting stew or butter since they require additional ingredients to actually be useful. At about 40 food per pig you end up bridging the gap.

Also: if you're making the maximum amount of tacos (8) at one time you get 160 food but this costs three cobs of corn, one for the pig and two for the dough. This brings the corn per platter down to 53.33 while giving everything else on the list x3 to their listed value.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-09-11 22:44:28)

fug it’s Tarr.

#11 2018-09-11 23:29:16

Booklat1

Dodge wrote:

spawned 3-4 times in a town that was pork hell, like 20 or more bowls of carnitas. i made a bunch of tacos in the last life so it ended being fun, but i was so frustrated when i first saw that.

Board footer