One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-10 16:05:05

boggers

Great Uncle Oscar Orange

First time for me posting one of these.

Great Uncle Oscar,

You were the first born of an Eve, born in a harsh and unforgiving land with more wolves than water. I didn't really know you, but I know you made the best of it, you probably planted carrots, you made a pack and a sealskin coat, at least.

I was your unnamed sister's grandkid, Carol.

You thought I was running away and told me "I'd run too..." but when I stopped and stood on there on the desert edge you handed that sealskin coat and backpack with nothing but a sharp stone inside down to me.

I watched in dismay as mother let the last food crop go to seed. I tried, but my tiny fingers were not yet strong enough to pull them from the dirt. Then at the age of five Mother dumped a baby brother on me and told me to feed him, but there was no food to be had - just one omelette and a useless pile of dry carrot seeds. So, I took your advice. I left that last omelette for mother, told my brother to follow and I ran.

We scrounged for food in the fields to the south west, but there was barely any to be found. I kept him alive till he could feed himself, but sadly he didn't make it on his own long after that. But I made it. Thanks entirely to the pack and coat and sharp stone you gave me, I survived. Without any one of those things I would have surely perished in the long trek through rocks and snow and fruitless desert I had to pass before I found even a small patch of green. There was still no water, but enough plants to build some tools and keep on running, until eventually I found a place far, far to the south of the barren place I was born. It was not a great place, but I had been trekking for years and it was good enough to settle, especially now that I was starting to have kids of my own.

My grandkids went on to have grandkids, and it looks like they're having more kids even now, and all of it thanks to the coat, pack and stone you gave me. I kept that sharp stone with me almost 60 years, until finally handing it all down to my own offspring.

So, I just wanted to say thank you. Your kind gesture might not have meant much to you, but it meant everything to me.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1050742

#2 2018-09-10 23:01:52

happynova

Re: Great Uncle Oscar Orange

Hey, I was one of your descendants, Leo the baker in generation 18.  It was a nice little town when I was there.  Not super-advanced and sprawling, but it had everything we needed, and it was a nice, comfortable place to live, with a good family.  The population wasn't high, so I was a little worried they might not make it much longer.  I'm very happy they still seem to be going.  (Now in generation 27!)  And I'm gad you lived to found that place.  It was a nice life I had there.

#3 2018-09-11 04:56:33

boggers

Re: Great Uncle Oscar Orange

Looks like they died out at gen 28. Still, not a bad run.

Board footer