One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-13 03:21:00

Portager

People Need to be Honest

When I am nursing a newborn child, I always ask him/her if they know how to play. Then I ask them if they know how to do x, y, or z. Most people say yes, but it is clear that only about half of those that say yes really do understand.

I am fine with helping an inexperienced or new person, but please be honest! If you say you know how to do something, and then you just run off randomly and die, this does not help anyone. Not only do we often lose valuable supplies and clothing, but this feat often also leaves us without anyone who can produce a child. For some reason it is always the little girls who run off on me, leaving our camp in extinction mode. Its unfair to everyone. *end rant* lol.

#2 2018-03-13 03:45:35

Matok

Re: People Need to be Honest

Yeah, lately I've been asking if kids 'know how to eat', because a surprising number haven't figured that out how to poke a carrot in their mouth yet.

Had one tonight that said YA, and then killed over dead right in front of me. Full set of clothing on them that I put on them, and baskets of carrots right behind them.

I mean, come on, I didn't spend 4 minutes nursing you so you could win the Darwin award.

#3 2018-03-13 04:02:29

WawaHoagie

There are plenty of "unfair" moments and aspects of this game. Unfortunately, writing about it here won't do any good, considering people here are the ones who care enough about the game to discuss it.

Some tips I learned from observing people in this game as a mother nursing newborns:

1) Don't pick them up immediately after they spawn. See if they start running off on their own, you'll be glad you didn't waste your food meter on them if they don't want to be with you. And NEVER chase them. Wait for them to say "F" before picking them up for the first time.

2) If they jump out of your arms at any time, they're done. They are obviously not patient, are selfish, trolling or too new to understand the game. Infants are useless on their own, so they should never jump out. Don't pick them back up if they do, I don't care if it was an accident, accidents kill civs.

3) If there is a fire, put them by the fire, or stand in the fire with them (yes IN the fire - on the same tile as the fire). If you need to run off and get food, tell them to stay (they should obviously know this... but if they don't, no sense in keeping them alive) Tell them to say "F" when down to TWO OR LESS bars (not 3 or 4 like I know some of you do -_- ).

4) If  there are multiple children in the fire tell them to step out and say "F" when hungry. Don't let them stand in the same tile saying "F" or you'll end up picking up the wrong one, wasting food meter on them. Place them back down in the fire, not the tile next to it. They wont be as warm and will consume more food this way.

5) If they try typing sentences one letter at a time... up to you but personally it annoys the crap out of me and if a word contains an "F" I would pick them up. If they say things like: IM-OK, T-Y, L-O-L,N-I-C-E, that doesn't bother me, but wait till you can speak a word at a time before asking for a job. Most likely I will give you your job anyway, so just listen and learn.

6) And sadly, be selective with your babies. You might  have a baby avoiding all 5 mistakes above, however if you have 2 females and then a male, you may want to let the male starve, since you just brought on two new people already and that might be more than enough anyway. Don't just throw away the first male however. I'd rather have a smart, conservative male player then a female that breaks any of the 5 rules above any day.

Other smart players will recognize when you nurse children with these tips. They will even drop off food for you once in a while, and firewood if you're lucky. Just remember, selfish players always LOSE in the end, and the meek will inherit the colony.

gottahava
    _V~
  Wawa

#4 2018-03-13 04:03:35

lesslucid

I wonder why people say "yes"?  I ask "new player?" because basically while I'm nursing I'm not doing anything else, so it would be useful to teach some simple skills during that time. But when someone says they're not new, I just wait around... don't want to be patronising. 

...maybe other parents are routinely abandoning babies who say they are new, so people learn they have to say they already know in order to get a chance to play? I know I often go through a long series of "false starts" before I get a chance to actually play the game.

#5 2018-03-13 04:09:59

Zeromus

That's actually really interesting.  Saying "yes" when asked if you know what you are doing is a survival technique.  Evolution at work!  =-D

#6 2018-03-13 04:30:44

teanah

I don't ask people if they are new anymore. I totally expect them to lie out of fear of being fed to bears.

It drives me crazy when babies try to speak in whole sentences one letter at a time. I'm going to starve to death if I stand here trying to listen to you kid... I saw one mom tell her kid to zip it if he wanted to get fed he was jabbering away so much. I keep it to "F" and "T-Y" for clothes or not feeding me to the bears. 

During that stuck feeding babies stage I tell Every baby the important civilization saving rules like "ONLY PICK FRUITING MILKWEED!!!!" and "Don't empty the ponds." Even some players who have been around awhile but don't use the forums have missed these.

#7 2018-03-13 04:53:05

Hans Lemurson

If you're going to ask "Do you know how to play?", you need to let them know that you intend to TEACH them rather than KILL them if they say no.

Otherwise you might as well ask "Do you want to be abandoned to die?".  And given that this game is Infanticide Simulator 2018...

#8 2018-03-13 06:31:40

Twinsen

Maybe they didn't say "yes", they said "y" means "why".

#9 2018-03-13 12:44:01

lesslucid

haha, good point, Twinsen!

#10 2018-03-13 14:23:20

karsten

WawaHoagie wrote:

There are plenty of "unfair" moments and aspects of this game. Unfortunately, writing about it here won't do any good, considering people here are the ones who care enough about the game to discuss it.

Some tips I learned from observing people in this game as a mother nursing newborns:

1) Don't pick them up immediately after they spawn. See if they start running off on their own, you'll be glad you didn't waste your food meter on them if they don't want to be with you. And NEVER chase them. Wait for them to say "F" before picking them up for the first time.

2) If they jump out of your arms at any time, they're done. They are obviously not patient, are selfish, trolling or too new to understand the game. Infants are useless on their own, so they should never jump out. Don't pick them back up if they do, I don't care if it was an accident, accidents kill civs.

3) If there is a fire, put them by the fire, or stand in the fire with them (yes IN the fire - on the same tile as the fire). If you need to run off and get food, tell them to stay (they should obviously know this... but if they don't, no sense in keeping them alive) Tell them to say "F" when down to TWO OR LESS bars (not 3 or 4 like I know some of you do -_- ).

4) If  there are multiple children in the fire tell them to step out and say "F" when hungry. Don't let them stand in the same tile saying "F" or you'll end up picking up the wrong one, wasting food meter on them. Place them back down in the fire, not the tile next to it. They wont be as warm and will consume more food this way.

5) If they try typing sentences one letter at a time... up to you but personally it annoys the crap out of me and if a word contains an "F" I would pick them up. If they say things like: IM-OK, T-Y, L-O-L,N-I-C-E, that doesn't bother me, but wait till you can speak a word at a time before asking for a job. Most likely I will give you your job anyway, so just listen and learn.

6) And sadly, be selective with your babies. You might  have a baby avoiding all 5 mistakes above, however if you have 2 females and then a male, you may want to let the male starve, since you just brought on two new people already and that might be more than enough anyway. Don't just throw away the first male however. I'd rather have a smart, conservative male player then a female that breaks any of the 5 rules above any day.

Other smart players will recognize when you nurse children with these tips. They will even drop off food for you once in a while, and firewood if you're lucky. Just remember, selfish players always LOSE in the end, and the meek will inherit the colony.

I don´t agree with 1. and 2.
As a baby I often walk around the base to see whats going on and where the farm is as this saves valuable time and thus food (mothers give full foodmeter without using any carrots, while looking around as a grown up actually costs carrots).

#11 2018-03-13 16:15:51

Portager

Twinsen wrote:

Maybe they didn't say "yes", they said "y" means "why".

I never even thought of that, good point indeed.

#12 2018-03-13 18:59:32

asterlea

karsten wrote:

I don´t agree with 1. and 2.
As a baby I often walk around the base to see whats going on and where the farm is as this saves valuable time and thus food (mothers give full foodmeter without using any carrots, while looking around as a grown up actually costs carrots).

This could be helpful in certain circumstances, but if your mom picks you up she might want to actually show you around and tell you certain rules that you might not be able to figure out on your own (eg. "This row for seeds"). I often pick children up so they are fed while I talk to them so I don't have to worry about them starving while I explain things.

Your mom might also want to bring you to a fire. If you are running around as a baby when you could be by a fire, you are wasting food because you are making your mother feed you more, which means she has to eat more, and also wasting her time making her chase you around.

If you're out in the wilderness or the settlement is struggling, your mom might need to carry you to get both of you quickly to food.

The point is, when you first spawn in you don't know the entire situation, and should not be running around, and you definitely shouldn't be jumping out of your mother's arms if she is trying to pick you up and take you places. If a baby runs off on me I do not run after them. If they come back I will pick them up, but I'm not going to waste time and calories on a baby that is going to make me chase them. Young children still walk slowly and shouldn't wander too far from the camp even once they can feed themselves, so that would be a better time for exploring, especially since at that point you know you're going to live long enough for it to even matter.

#13 2018-03-13 19:48:07

Pocket

Maybe dont ask "do you know how to play?".
Bcause if you say no, you die and dont get feed from your mom.
Better asking "should i tell you to (make fire/ do farming/ making clothes/ hunting usw..).
Just an idea...

#14 2018-03-13 22:57:39

Portager

Pocket wrote:

Maybe dont ask "do you know how to play?".
Bcause if you say no, you die and dont get feed from your mom.
Better asking "should i tell you to (make fire/ do farming/ making clothes/ hunting usw..).
Just an idea...

You are right on the money my friend.

The first thing I tell babies now is, "I can teach you...if you are new...are you?"

This way I am making it clear that I am not the neglectful or psychopathic mothers that they might fear.

#15 2018-03-13 23:25:28

Potjeh

Uhm, asking if they know how to play is the first thing I do, never crossed my mind people would lie about it XD. It just doesn't factor into my decision to keep a baby. Pretty much every baby I ever had managed to learn watering carrots at least, and that's useful. Of course, they often wind up harvesting seed carrots, but that's more the fault of the organization of the farm rather than the newbie.

#16 2018-03-14 04:44:39

sMartins

The most brilliant sentence I have seen is: Are you a dumb baby?

Last edited by sMartins (2018-03-14 05:22:16)

#17 2018-03-14 05:00:02

Matok

I had a mother tonight who said "build a fire" as soon as I was able to hold stuff while she continued to work the fields. I went to work doing so, and got one put together in fairly short order thanks to all the materials being nearby. She plopped my little brother down next to the fire after that.

Makes me wonder now if that was her testing me to see if I knew what I was doing.

Board footer