a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-29 07:53:03

OldBaby

Strategy Discussion and Advice General

Recipe list. WARNING: Not current!
http://mc.edmi.nl:1340/onelife/
(Thank you to Vescator for the list)

I was going to make this thread a single question, but it didn't feel like it deserved its own thread, so I started a General instead. If you have questions or answers that don't merit a separate thread, this would be a good place. If you're a new player, this thread doesn't have anything for you at the time of my writing this, but it might conceivably have something for you at the time you are reading this.

My first question is this: What do you do if you spawn as Eve and you're in a Goose Pond and Reeds Biome? There doesn't seem to be any easy way to get food. I can always run to a berry bush biome, but is there any other way? I'm guessing not, but I'm asking anyway.

Second question: What do I do if I spawn in a Berry Bush biome? (capitalizing these feels weird, but not capitalizing them feels weird too. I'm going to stop capitalizing them for the moment) I guess the first thing to do is find a bunch of berry bushes, but after, what takes first priority? My guess is stakes and rope to make a snare to catch a rabbit to get food and clothes, but is there something that comes before that?

Also: I told a baby to tell me z when it was full, something I invented because I was new and didn't understand the game mechanics and wasn't sure if there was a way to tell (is there?), then 15 minutes later a woman told that to me! Probably not a coincidence. Then something happened and I got stuck rubber banding one animation in place and died while everything around me was normal (might be the fault of my internet or my old laptop). Thinking back, "A" when hungry is probably more important than saying "Z" when full, since nursing fills babies up instantly or almost instantly in some cases. But I didn't realize that at the time. "A" is a nice letter for "I'm hungry" because it sounds like crying.

Does anyone have any tips on being a baby/mother? My advice for babies is that I think you can feed yourself at 5 hunger bars it looks like, or maybe it was 6.

Last edited by OldBaby (2018-01-11 03:16:31)

#2 2017-12-29 10:43:26

jcwilk

Re: Strategy Discussion and Advice General

food? - Only quickie wild food I know of besides berries is wild carrots, you can dig them up with a sharp stone. A sharp stone can be a little tricky to get your hands on if you're seconds from starving to death though... You can always try to plant some carrots asap, not sure how long the maturation cycle is compared to the hunger cycle but if you can keep yourself alive with some wild carrots until they mature then you should be golden at that point since there's so much water in that biome.

berry biome what todo? - It depends on what you're trying to do really. A good survival game has many paths to success and the optimal one depends on both your playing style and the environment you're in. This game is still very early in development so there aren't quite as many pathways as there likely will be, but there's still a good few ways to get food. Establishing a food source is of course the most critical thing since it's by far the biggest danger, so that usually means either planting berries or carrots. It seems like carrots are more efficient in terms of the ratio of hunger sated vs water used. Still, you need water. You can get away with just eating wild berries for a while but it's kind of inconvenient and I'm not really sure if wild ones ever grow back...

Ultimately, like in most sandbox-y survival games, picking a good spot is the most important thing you can do. I usually just sprint nonstop until I find a huge berry biome next to a huge reed biome with a bunny biome nearby and hopefully badlands not too far away... or die trying and keep looking the next life since you have nothing to lose. Make your workshop in the berry biome and your farms in the reed biome and fur/meat processing in the bunny biome. If you don't have quick access to all the biomes then you're going to be crippled in some way as you try to tech up.

Can't comment much on the baby stuff, haven't had a lot of overlap with other players. The A for hungry and Z for full thing is a good idea though.

#3 2017-12-29 22:08:17

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Some kind of primitive food source will be added to the swamp soon.

The badlands rock biome will likely remain food-free, however.

#4 2017-12-30 04:34:00

OldBaby

After accidentally letting two babies die today, one because of a glitch that showed him walking south for a while when I don't think he was actually going in that direction, and the second one from starvation, my advice is to just stay on the berry bush and pick a berry, eat the berry, pick up the baby, nurse for 4 seconds or so, drop the baby, pick a berry, and repeat.

Could someone give me some tips on carrot farming? I've looked at the recipe list but I can't see a fast way. Is there a lot of things I need to do first like there is with other tasks?

Last edited by OldBaby (2017-12-30 04:34:09)

#5 2017-12-31 09:00:54

jcwilk

Haha I think I was one of those babies that starved, remembered you mentioning the running south baby glitch. Who's the other person that was working with me on the homestead with the house with the million baskets of carrots and rabbit above it? I've spent a lot of lives on that homestead now but I didn't start it. Kind of cool how a homestead lives on and some unknown number of generations of people stumble on it and continue to build it out. Will be a lot cooler when there's more things you can build and when the floor/walls overheating bug is fixed.

Anyways, for carrot farming the main thing you need is either a fired clay bowl or a rabbit skin water pouch. Need some way of getting water to the crops. Which one of those is easier depends on what biome you're in I guess, but you almost always want to build farms on marshlands to be near the goose ponds. AFAIK that's the only source of water.

But yeah, basically:
1 - get fertile soil
2 - drop it somewhere to make a tilled row
3 - get carrot seed
4 - put it on the tilled row to plant the seed
5 - get water from a goose pond using either a fired clay bowl or a rabbit pouch
6 - water the tilled row
7 - wait until it's a row of carrots
(if you wait too long it overmatures and you can only get a carrot seed from it, sometimes it's good to do this on purpose for one of your tilled rows so that you don't run out of seeds, i think you get about 5 seeds per row)
8 - pluck all the carrots out and go back to #3

#6 2017-12-31 09:08:28

jcwilk

The bottleneck resource for farming is water, so tilled rows will eventually become useless because you've expended all of the goose ponds near them. Once you're finding yourself having to run too far then you'll want to just start over with new tilled rows somewhere else that has a nice cluster of ponds nearby. Since you have to keep moving tilled rows presumably farther and farther away from your main homestead, you're going to want to invest in a cart ASAP as just a few tilled rows will stuff a cart and a backpack full of carrots. So it becomes very efficient to occasionally stop by the farm with the cart, load it up, replant it, bring the baskets full of carrots back to your homestead and then return to what you were doing. One full cart of carrots plus a backpack is probably 4 or 5 full hunger refills of food so it's a reliable way to keep your stores filled.

#7 2017-12-31 22:26:54

OldBaby

Sharp Stone + Small Curved Branch = Small Curved Shaft
Rope + Small Curved Shaft = Bow Drill Bow
Short Shaft + Bow Drill Bow = Fire Bow Drill
Flint Arrowhead + Fire Bow Drill = Flint-tipped Bow Drill
Flint-tipped Bow Drill + Wooden Disks = Wooden Wheel

Rope + Boards = Wooden Box
Long Straight Shaft + Wooden Box = Wooden Sledge
Wooden Wheel + Wooden Sledge = Wheelbarrow
Wooden Wheel + Wheelbarrow = Hand Cart

My questions are these:
1. How do you get boards?
2. How do you get wooden disks? Are they naturally occurring?

There's some other stuff I don't understand from looking at the recipe sheet, but I'm going to wait on that for now.

#8 2018-01-01 00:33:44

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Oldbaby, let me know if you're willing to help debug the baby movement stuff.  If so, I can create a second account for you, and then you can run two clients in parallel, one as mother, other as baby, and see if you can get some short game recordings of glitches in the baby behavior.  I know that those glitches are still there, but they are hard to find and fix.

Email me if you're up for it (you can make the game windows smaller to run two clients on the same screen).

#9 2018-01-01 08:19:09

OldBaby

jasonrohrer wrote:

Oldbaby, let me know if you're willing to help debug the baby movement stuff.  If so, I can create a second account for you, and then you can run two clients in parallel, one as mother, other as baby, and see if you can get some short game recordings of glitches in the baby behavior.  I know that those glitches are still there, but they are hard to find and fix.

Email me if you're up for it (you can make the game windows smaller to run two clients on the same screen).

Sir, it would be an honor. Not sure if my laptop can handle two at once, but we'll see. Sending an email now.

#10 2018-01-01 11:42:26

jcwilk

OldBaby wrote:

My questions are these:
1. How do you get boards?
2. How do you get wooden disks? Are they naturally occurring?

Basically you need to get into metal working. Get some ore and make a forge (you make this from adobe, which is made from clay and hay) and from there the tooltips should tell you how to make various things. It's best to just make all the metal tools and then you can reference the tooltips off of the metal tools to see what makes what.

Boards require a "froe" I think it's called and a wooden mallet and a chunk of tree, which is cut down with a metal axe.

Wooden disks require a metal saw which I think requires a metal file. But yeah most of the metal tools are required at some point in making a cart. It's pretty end-gamey so it's near the end of the (current) tech tree. Once you have all the metal tools required it's actually not very difficult or expensive to make more. The homestead I'm at has three and a couple boxes which is plenty. AFAIK it's best to just turn all boxes into carts so they're portable.

#11 2018-01-04 03:15:26

OldBaby

Alright, I have more questions:
1. What's the quickest way to make a wet clay bowl into a clay bowl (dry)?
2. Is there any way to get rabbit bones without cooking the rabbit?

Do you need fire for both? If so, what's the best way to make fire?

#12 2018-01-04 04:53:57

jcwilk

Need to make a kiln for firing clay things https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com/Recipes

AFAIK you need to cook the rabbit, so yes you need fire for both. For cooking rabbits you have to make sure to cook them on coals not on an actual fire, so after you put kindling on a fire you have to wait for it to go down to coals otherwise it'll burn and I don't think you can get bones from a burned rabbit (kind of weird, but yeah).

Fire is a bit tricky but not that hard once you get the hang of it.

- use the fire bow drill on a long straight shaft to make it start smoking
- use a leaf (plucked from the skinny bright green tree) on the smoking shaft to get an ember leaf
- use the ember leaf on tinder (from the bunny biome trees) to start a fire
- use kindling (any branch can be turned into kindling with the stone hatchet) on the started fire to turn it into a small fast fire

You can stop there, or you can add firewood to make it a big slow fire that will last much longer. If you're trying to cook rabbits you'll want to stop after you add kindling so it'll turn to coals sooner. After you add kindling you can use the long straight shaft on it to make a firebrand (or whatever it's called) basically it lights the shaft on fire and you use that on the kiln to light it.

Most of this stuff you can figure out with common sense and looking through the tooltips. I figured out pretty much everything just by looking at tooltips though there were a couple items I got stuck on like milkweed seeds, for that you can reference the recipe list.

#13 2018-01-04 05:08:13

OldBaby

Whoever runs the wiki should consider making it black text on a white background, not white text on a black background.

Board footer