One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-31 08:49:29

gabal

Am I doing something wrong?

In a life I had last night I gave birth to 9 children. The town was prosperous and there was plenty of food around. Every child which spoke got a tour of the village and I told them what needed to be done around the town. Yet, when I checked out afterwards how the village fared after my death (I died to a snake while scouting for the iron we needed) I found out that only one child I nursed died of starvation in the middle of village with several food sources. They weren't suicidal, with one of them I even discussed what tools should be forged so I guess you can't tell they were all new players.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I nurse children even after they can pick stuff up and feed themself? I noticed a high infant mortality rate before as well but this was the worst expample I experienced.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=984372

Last edited by gabal (2018-08-31 08:49:56)

#2 2018-08-31 09:20:43

VioletLily

Re: Am I doing something wrong?

No, I don't believe you did anything to cause their early deaths. As long as there is enough food to go around, there is no reason to feed children once they can feed themselves.

There are a few things that could of caused this that I could think of:

1. A few could have been new or had simple bad luck

2. Lag has caused me to die of starvation as a child at times. If the games lags for a few seconds when I am an adult, I usually have enough food bars to be safe. However, the same type of lag could easily kill me as a child, as children have less food bars and can't go as long without food. Doesn't happen to me often, but something similar definitely could have happened here.

3. Connection problems can be really weird at times. As an example, I was playing in a really large city a couple days ago with tons of people. There was tons of food and everything was going great. All of a sudden, they all start dropping one by one over the course of a minute or two for no apparent reason. It was as if there was some sudden-starvation plague going through the city. I was one of the lucky few who survived. The line almost died out because of it and the city became a shadow of it's former self in a single generation. Weird stuff just happens sometimes.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-08-31 10:07:21)

#3 2018-08-31 11:59:02

tana

I also often see all my kids die of starvation in the middle of plentifull food.

And there might be a third reason for it... Players that have a lot of game play tend to overestimate their capabilities and often want to start working right away, forgeting that as a toddler your food bar is very little and need to eat more often.

One example that i see the most is players dying in the swamps because the first thing they want is a basket, so they eat once before leaving and since they need a sharpstone, they can't hold food, and by the time the basket is made, because they were on cold biome, their food bar dropped really fast and they are too far from a food source and starve.
So i always try to tell my kids that it's ok to be not that productive before they are like 10, and to wait till they big enough.

In big city there is usually a berry farm that they can tend while waiting to grow, but in an early camp, once they have hair, i often tell them to stay put and warm, that i'll keep feeding them and that i'll bring them a basket. Yet some still go away and die in the wilderness thinking they can do everything immediately.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#4 2018-08-31 12:12:52

Solbusaur

tana wrote:

So i always try to tell my kids that it's ok to be not that productive before they are like 10, and to wait till they big enough.

I agree, and they can work on berry farming in the meantime. However I have seen two or more cases where a player presumes the child is 'idling' and kills them for not being productive or hard-working.

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#5 2018-08-31 13:48:57

MultiLife

Ah yes, this happened to me too. I have had very nice, talkative kids, surrounded by food and they go to work at a young age. Then sometimes I catch a glimpse of them running towards a berry bush, only to collapse next to it. They were too ambitious and ended up starving by pushing themselves too much too early.

And as mentioned, losing connection is quite a common reason for random deaths.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#6 2018-08-31 15:15:07

PeaGirl

Solbusaur wrote:
tana wrote:

I agree, and they can work on berry farming in the meantime. However I have seen two or more cases where a player presumes the child is 'idling' and kills them for not being productive or hard-working.

Yeah, that is just harsh. If the camp is good and there is temperature spot where child can wait till they are well grown, it wouldn't be that much of a hassle for them to wait when eve or any adult does the work for them until they can inherit their work.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#7 2018-08-31 15:43:55

Alleria

If you are idle and not in a Goldilocks zone and you're not the last female, I will kill you.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#8 2018-08-31 16:16:20

happynova

A false sense of security can be a killer for little kids in big towns with plentiful food.  If they're not thinking of food as a problem, since it's so freely available, they might run around doing stuff, figuring there'll always be food there when their bars get low.  And then, when they run back to a place they remember seeing food, maybe it isn't there any more, and they don't have time to get something else.  Or -- a real issue in very large cities, especially for those of us with no sense of direction -- they forget where the berry farm is, and die running around looking for it.

That doesn't mean you should have kept feeding them yourself, though.  In fact, in a place like that, most players aren't going to stick around and let you.  They want to be off doing things. It is, however, an argument for not deciding a town with a good supply of food has "enough babies" and letting random ones die.  A good percentage of them are always going to die young, and while most of those are newbies, even those who seem fairly competent are by no means immune.  High infant mortality is just a OHOL fact of life.

In a situation where food is very low, though, feeding kids as long as you can, if you can, can be a good strategy.  Assuming they'll stay still long enough to let you, and will listen to you when you tell them to let you feed them, instead of just grabbing berries.  Which, admittedly, most of them probably won't.

Board footer