One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-13 10:49:51

Cryptodream

[OneLife] Update about recent bugginess (jasonrohrer email to users)

This is an email sent by Jason. Im just reposting it here.

The recent fix for server latency involved fetching and sending smaller map areas to the client.  This was great, as it avoids redundantly sending the client information that it already has, and dramatically reduces server load.

However, the old redundant behavior was hiding a bug in the way that the client processes map changes, such as when another player sets down an object on the map.  If there was an error in the way the client handled the placement, it would get fixed when the player walked around, because the next redundant map chunk received would contain the correct information for that map cell.

With the new, non-redundant map fetches, those kinds of errors become much more prevalent, to the point where, in a busy area, the game becomes very annoying to play (you go to grab something, and it's not really there, or a different object is there instead).

I've got enough information to fix the bug in the client, but it will take a while.

In the mean time, I'm rolling back the server to send the larger, redundant map chunks again.  This will increase the load on the servers again, but also make the game much more playable.

After the client is fixed, the servers will go back to the lower-load, less redundant map fetches.

Please bear with me during this process.  I'm working hard, and putting in long hours, to keep the game running smoothly with the high demand.  I'm only one guy.  I'm doing my best.

It will get fixed, and will be perfect and bug-free, eventually.  The game saw extensive testing before launch, but for this kind of game, some issues can only be found once a large group of players get in there and hammer on it.

Jason

Last edited by Cryptodream (2018-03-13 13:15:00)

#2 2018-03-13 12:42:19

lesslucid

Re: [OneLife] Update about recent bugginess (jasonrohrer email to users)

Glad it's being worked on. Even with the small and less-small problems, it's a fantastic and compelling game, can't get enough of it... looking forward to improvements of all kinds.

#3 2018-03-13 13:38:35

DeyCi

Re: [OneLife] Update about recent bugginess (jasonrohrer email to users)

Really awesome that it is being worked on, I for one feel in good hands and is looking forward to play it bug-free someday! The game is definitely worth being patient with!

Board footer