One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-27 21:20:11

Mirelli

An Etiquette Guide

This is a small list of things you can do (or not do) to make the game more enjoyable for both yourself and your fellow villagers. Feel free to add your own tips in the comments because I’m sure I’ll miss a bunch of things.

-Do you see a cart lying around? First, make sure there’s no one around working with it. I know it sucks having to make a new cart from scratch but it’s even worse when you make one yourself, only to turn around for a moment and someone has run off with it. If there’s someone near the cart, ask if you can use it. If the answer is no, don’t be salty, just go and make your own. If you don’t know how, ask around.

-You want a backpack? We all do! Before asking your mother or anyone else around for the clothing off their back, make sure there aren’t any rabbit furs already laying around waiting to be tailored. If there aren’t any, and you plan on working outside the village, ask politely to borrow theirs. Make sure to keep good on your promise and trap some rabbits, make them into a pack and return it to the kind person who loaned theirs to you. People are always pleasantly surprised when I return with a new pack for them.

*To add on to the last one, don’t sew all of the furs together if there are already enough packs for the people living there. Everything decays and you don’t want to waste furs if there’s no one around to make use of them.

-Need to borrow a tool like an axe or hatchet? Make sure to bring the axe back to where you found it after chopping trees (only chop the useless trees like willows in the swamp and desert trees!) and bring your wood to the hatchet to chop your kindling.

-Do not feed people unless they ask to be fed. You could not only ruin someone’s yum streak, but you could also be wasting food if they’ve only lost one pip and you feed them a slice of pie. You could also be mistaken for a griefer and be killed despite you just wanting to help. There are far more useful jobs to be done, just ask what needs doing.

-Are you new and curious? Before you go up to the forge and start messing around with things, picking them up to see what they do, watch the smith from a few tiles away, out of their work zone. Don’t block the flat rocks or the hammer or anything else they’re trying to work with. Ask if they can teach you or simply try to learn by watching closely.

-Do not run off as a baby unless you intend to kill yourself. I know you want to see the city and look around to see where everything is and what needs to be done, but you should stay put where your mother sets you down (unless it’s a cold or hot tile, then it’s fine to find a perfect temp spot to sit on). Ask her if she will give you a tour. Most times she will oblige if she’s not busy.

-If you’re a mother and have no last name but anyone else in the family still has the surname, bring your babies up to them and ask if they will name your child. If you have a name in mind, tell them. Sometimes you’ll get a rude player who names your baby “sh*t” or something of that nature but hey, at least they have the surname now! Lol

-If you see someone else already working on a job that you wanted to do (ex. Smithing, trapping, baking, etc.) ask if you can help them before just barging in. Smithing is always more efficient with two people. One fires the iron blooms while the other waits with a round stone to hammer on the flat rocks and remove them for the next batch.

-A town only needs one big fire unless everything is very spread out. If you see someone light a kindling and set a bowl of water/shavings/stew next to it, do NOT keep adding wood to it. The purpose is to let it turn to coals so they can use it for whatever they were planning to do. It’s annoying to have to keep telling players to let it turn to coals and they don’t listen so you have to go far away to start yet another fire and pray to the OHOL gods that no one comes along and tosses wood on it again. Not only do you waste firewood by keeping more than one big fire, you also waste someone’s time and patience. Mistakes happen, so be sure to apologize if you were in the wrong.

I’m sure there’s a bunch more things I’m missing, so leave them in the comments! I hope this helps at least a few people. PS don’t make rabbit fur shoes, they dum.

I usually play as Eve Storm. If you’re named Phoenix, Bear, Winter, or Summer, it’s probably me smile

#2 2018-08-27 21:32:40

West

Re: An Etiquette Guide

"small list"

Goot points! I dont agree with the "dont walk away from your mother" part. I mostly like to temp run around the village to get a feel for what jobs are needed, you can last long with four bars if you run with perfect temp. This also allows you to start working asap, because you allready know what the village needs.

Last edited by West (2018-08-27 21:37:17)

Mostly playing as Eve West - hope to meet you one day!
Longest lineages: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=113651 "Killed by Marked Grave with Chisel"
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=849569

#3 2018-08-27 21:39:22

D3mon1cblack

I disagree on the rabbit fur shoes they are amazing adding that little bit of protection
It can be a real life saver if your like me and are out of town 80% of the time hunting rabbits and what not
Yes i know temp walking and so on but if you have to wait near a cold biome with no desert in sight its really nice to have them
but for the rest your spot on lol
I hate it when my babies start running to look around
And i admit i do it aswell but only if my mom is working hard and drops me on the perfect tile
i also make sure to walk back to the exact spot my mom dropped me off and signal if i need food tongue

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#4 2018-08-27 21:44:26

Mirelli

It’s small to me! Lol.

I only added the running from your mom part because usually if my baby runs after I set them down, I figure they’re going off to suicide, so I go back to work and forget I ever had the baby. It’s risky because your mom might not be around when you return and you might starve if there’s no other fertile women nearby. I always give my babies a tour if they ask for one, but I see your point too.

I usually play as Eve Storm. If you’re named Phoenix, Bear, Winter, or Summer, it’s probably me smile

#5 2018-08-27 21:48:08

Tea

° If passing by a carrot farm, with some carrots lying around or in baskets, don't take and eat some, without asking for the purpose of those carrots. They might be needed for the sheeps or compost. Same thing goes for harvesting the crop. Ask which row is for seeds and which for harvest.

° See someone preparing the rabbit fur to make a backpack and you have thread to sew it all up ? Make the backpack and give it to the person. He might have been hunting those rabbits for quite some time, hoping to make a backpack. Don't just take it, explaining that it was YOUR thread that made the backpack, so it is your backpack. In that case, you are jerk good sir.

°  The only warm place for your children is the fire next to the forge ? Take some kindling and lighten it up a bit further, so your future children won't be in the way of the smith and make him hate his job. A happy smith is happy town.

° You are getting old and need to pass down your stuff ? Look for a naked adult or teen that is working hard and give it to them. Given it to the newborn is a slap in the face for all the people working naked in town.

° You are witnessing an emotional moment, a grandmother passes down her stuff to her grandchild. Tears are running, promises are being made and clothes and backpacks are being put down on the ground. Don't take those stuff! There were not meant for you. If you do, there is a special place in hell for you my friend and don't be surprised to be stabbed later.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#6 2018-08-27 22:02:26

Randomname

West wrote:

"small list"

Goot points! I dont agree with the "dont walk away from your mother" part. I mostly like to temp run around the village to get a feel for what jobs are needed, you can last long with four bars if you run with perfect temp. This also allows you to start working asap, because you allready know what the village needs.

That's fine but if you end up with me as a mother I'm not going to feed you, sure other people might but I won't (unless I'm the last female AND you are a girl).  Seriously it's three minutes are you really so impatient you cant temp run as a child?  I like my children to stay in a nice spot or next to where I am working.  It's easier for me to feed as I can see you "f" and I don't have to worry about where you are.

#7 2018-08-27 22:06:44

West

Randomname wrote:
West wrote:

"small list"

That's fine but if you end up with me as a mother I'm not going to feed you, sure other people might but I won't (unless I'm the last female AND you are a girl).  Seriously it's three minutes are you really so impatient you cant temp run as a child?  I like my children to stay in a nice spot or next to where I am working.  It's easier for me to feed as I can see you "f" and I don't have to worry about where you are.

I'll be fine. If I die I die. Most of the time someone feeds me tho. And even if I die, it has just been one or two minutes and I may be back in the next life. (Where I then know the town allready)

Mostly playing as Eve West - hope to meet you one day!
Longest lineages: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=113651 "Killed by Marked Grave with Chisel"
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=849569

#8 2018-08-28 18:27:12

Jk Howling

Solid af list. Mind if I also add a few points?

- Followup on carrot farming: Don't plant/water more than 4-5 rows, and please return to pick them. Often times if you plant but don't water more than this, some passing stranger will notice all the dry carrot beds and take it upon themself to water it all. Chances are this person won't return to pick them. Also, I've seen many towns that plant anywhere from 10 to 30 rows of carrots at once. That's 50-150 carrots, or 70-210 carrot seeds. Ask yourself: do you have the room to store all these, and do you really need that many?

- Please make sure nobody is using not any tool or item before claiming it as your own and using it yourself. The mount of times I'd had crucible plates stolen for pies, or kiln adobe stolen for useless walls/another oven/etc, or even someone just taking the stew pot I'm working on to make themselves is just absurd.

- Always leave one wooled sheep for lambs, if you don't have a domestic mouflon. Yes, its a reversible mistake, but its also a common and annoying one. Feeding lambs is more efficient as we get both a wool and a poo from it. Often times you'll already have a shepherd handling the herd, and interfering with their job can frustrate them.

- Have a bunch of ropes in a mid-to-late gen town? Check the current water situation before throwing them elsewhere. I lived a life earlier in which we had two buckets, a single nearly-empty deep well, and a rapidly draining water supply. Someone grew a bunch of milkweed- and then proceeded to make somewhere around 5-6 carts, or at least planned to. Yes, carts are useful, but our water supply is our lifeline. Water means food, compost, life. Make up for all the water you used to plant that milkweed at at least making a bucket or two to keep the farms going.

- If you're raising children, please don't shove them on a large fire in the middle of desert, especially fully clothed. It's way too hot, and their food bars will drop faster than you can keep up with. If there isn't a baby fire around, either make one in a non-desert biome, or find a nice desert edge tile.

- Not many do it, but in a large town it's a benefit to do frequent outings with a cart to scavenge anything that'd been abandoned or hidden. Make sure to check behind trees as well. Discarded pie plates and baskets are common, but I've also found many backpacks and clothing from corpses out of town, snares from rabbit hunters that perished on the job, and tools / half-made weapons stashed behind trees by either griefers or veterans. These are resources that could be a benefit to your town if you bring them back.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-08-28 18:29:27)

-Has ascended to better games-

#9 2018-08-28 20:39:25

PeaGirl

-  If you are a mother and see your baby running to a spot between desert and any other biome (grassland, savanna, swamp), they will likely help you by not wasting their food bars. Some of us players tend to do this to make it slower to starve to death. Just follow where they go and remember where they are.
  -  If you give birth to a child that has black text box and white font. This is a cursed child, someone who has excessively done bad things to communities to the point at least 10 people have cursed the player for whatever mischief. First of all if you are in early village, do not feed it. If you are in advanced village, ask someone to kill the baby.
  -  If you have several babies the cursed child tries to blend in. Tell the children to move and say something while doing so. This way it is easier to track down cursed child and kill it or not feed it.
  -  Also. Always communicate and talk with people. It is easier to see people's intention/duty/meaning when you talk together. I have had several times when I needed to tell people that I killed a cursed child, that why I was on murder cooldown, so they could feed me. If you don't say anything, people who haven't communicated with you might confuse you as griefer (because your textbox cannot be yet described as white or black)

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#10 2018-08-28 20:50:10

D3mon1cblack

i like to add this one after a game i played today yes i know it might be griefer related but here it goes
-If the town runs out of bowls dont empty out the pad bowl but find some clay and make more

Last edited by D3mon1cblack (2018-08-28 20:50:39)

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

Board footer