One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-12 05:53:51

Laddy

What we need is a leader!

It doesn't matter if you start by digging up wild carrots and eating berry's, or if you start in a well developed civilization with more food than baskets. At some point there is going to be too many babies, too many mouths to feed and the colony will get wiped out.

This can happen from any number of things,
-Player empties ponds
-Player plants too much and uses the water on milkweed/berries
-Player has too many mouths, no food
-Player has people using resources on things already made, or not needed.

Despite all this and the constant wipes, I think our world is slowly advancing, soon we will have barns and building dedicated to a certain task, maybe even roads connecting settlements. After we have evolved enough maybe the civilizations will stop getting wiped out and it will be sustainable.

But I can't wait that long!

What we need is a leader!
Imagine if instead of running around like a dumb toddler eating all the food for 3 food bars and then running around looking for something to do we instead ask the clan leader what needs to be done! EFFICIENCY!

Here's my plan:
Spawn in one of those abandoned towns, I need it to be fairly advanced with a room that has a gate(can babies/toddlers open gates? if they can fuck) the farm would need to be filled with dry planted carrots, I also want a large amount of baskets with carrots in them, I could water the carrots then  make a large slow burning fire in the building with a gate. I bring some carrots in for me(would be great if there was plenty of clothes too) then when I had my first boy(kill the girls) I would ask "CAN YOU FARM Y OR N" if he can then he gets to live, I also ask for his name, because we need a way to identify them, anyway I send him farming but say he has to come back in 10 minutes or something and update me on how it's going. I have another boy, assign him a task, maybe hunting rabbits, another boy, he can skin and cook the rabitts, another boy, he can smith? Anyway before I've become too old to  breed I have a girl and explain her job, she will be the only girl other than me, and she will stay and become their leader, she can then assign jobs and make sure everything is running smoothly.

Will it work? What do you think? There is the problem of Eves running in with a baby in their arms, once one female gets out into society they breed until their locust babies eat and destroy everything... and also you need the girl to know the game well enough to lead.

#2 2018-03-12 07:46:59

Portager

Re: What we need is a leader!

Honestly, this is a major problem...with the composting system I do not have much time to mentor new players. I am busy frantically running to get reeds or find a bush with 4 berries, when I could be explaining the basics of things to newbies. Most people I have met still don't know how to compost, so I get stuck with the job in most villages. I try to teach others, but since it is multistep process that often involves scavenging for essentials, it is not an easy thing to teach.

I feel that each mother, or a mother of a mother should be able to assign a role to a child through some kind of formal method. Or at the very least, a well oiled village should have one person be the designated mentor as their sole job.

#3 2018-03-12 07:59:01

Hans Lemurson

The trouble with any of these systems is the lack of continuity.  Even if you're the best leader possible, giving efficient directions at all times, will your daughter know all that you know?  Will your granddaughter have been instructed properly?

Once the chain is broken, then the village returns to its natural state of baby-makers starving in the barren fields.

#4 2018-03-12 08:13:59

sammoh

My philosophy has always been "create monuments". This does not refer to actual buildings, but it can. If you make a huge project, the time it takes to destroy it is increased. Gotta think bigger.

Spend your whole life making clothes for 30 people. Make 20 boxes full of dirt baskets. Plant 40 milkweed. Tame 20 sheep. Make 5 of each tool. Fire 50 bowls in a kiln.

If each of the "superusers" commits to making monuments, civilization will survive the bumps in the road. Stockpiling carrots will not work. Stockpiling pies might. Stockpiling DIRT is the answer.

Two Hours, One Life - a curated OHOL server with heavy modifications.

Discord:     https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
Address:          https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

#5 2018-03-12 08:31:40

Laddy

Sammoh, that will work in the end, supposedly, but we could do it faster. Hans you're right, i'd need the person who inherits motherhood to know everything about everything.

#6 2018-03-12 15:21:04

Zeromus

I like this thread.  At the very minimum, you should be the "leader" of your children.  Don't just let them do what they want.  Tell them what they need to do.

If you're living in a settlement and someone new shows up, you need to tell them what to do to help.  Yeah, it gets hard to chat when you're trying to work.  But if you take a few moments to tell people how to help, your job becomes way easier.

But especially if you're a dedicated mother, teach teach teach.

#7 2018-03-12 15:36:15

coderone

I like the idea, although feasibility is very difficult given current game. Go up vote and add your comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … unication/
https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … h_control/

Last edited by coderone (2018-03-12 15:37:16)

#8 2018-03-12 21:42:42

ajdrex

I think encouraging new players to check out the forum and the wiki are very helpful too. I am still quite new, and there are still many things that I have not been able to manage yet, successfully composting being one of them, but I have only played a handful of games so far, and each time I play I am trying out new things that I have read on the wiki or on here. The more people that come into the game with at least a little bit of basic knowledge like how to make baskets and start farming, etc. the better off everyone will be. Often times, due to the speed of the game, it can be difficult to explain things to people, even if you really wanted to. There is just not enough time to do that and then also do what needs to be done.

#9 2018-03-12 21:51:06

ajdrex

Communication is key, and as it is difficult in game, I think the forums can and should play a bigger role for player development and coordination. Furthermore, as the generational aspect of the game is one of the most important, generation-to-generation communication is also incredibly important, but not even possible in-game, beyond the 2 or 3 generations that exist simultaneously. A civilization may be extremely well run for the first and second, and hell maybe even a few subsequent generations, but what happens when someone slips up and someone who does not know the rules of sustainability (for example) spawns and depletes the resources necessary to survive. There are countless things that could happen. But with some form of cross-generational communication, even those who know nothing could be educated and learn without another player having to spend quite as much of their valuable time to explain that much information. I do wonder how this game will change as societies get more and more advanced. Who knows? Maybe there is already some sort of record-keeping feature within the game that just has not been unlocked yet. Until then, though, someone's got to find a way.

#10 2018-03-12 22:30:18

Portager

ajdrex wrote:

Communication is key, and as it is difficult in game, I think the forums can and should play a bigger role for player development and coordination. Furthermore, as the generational aspect of the game is one of the most important, generation-to-generation communication is also incredibly important, but not even possible in-game, beyond the 2 or 3 generations that exist simultaneously. A civilization may be extremely well run for the first and second, and hell maybe even a few subsequent generations, but what happens when someone slips up and someone who does not know the rules of sustainability (for example) spawns and depletes the resources necessary to survive. There are countless things that could happen. But with some form of cross-generational communication, even those who know nothing could be educated and learn without another player having to spend quite as much of their valuable time to explain that much information. I do wonder how this game will change as societies get more and more advanced. Who knows? Maybe there is already some sort of record-keeping feature within the game that just has not been unlocked yet. Until then, though, someone's got to find a way.

It is pretty much the law of diminishing returns, each new generation uses more resources and generally contributes less than the founding and 1st 'baby boom' generation. The end result is societal collapse.

As you point out, communication is key. Honestly, people do not talk enough in this game. Veteran players need to drop what they are working on for a couple minutes and check to make sure each critical aspect of of society is being carried out effectively and in a sustainable manner. We need to make interventions as needed, and we cant be afraid to speak up. I will admit, I am guilty of getting caught up in baking or composting or some other task, and then I discover later on that the farm collapsed because nobody left a row for seed or that the person who was supposed to be tending the fire and making clothes had died and nobody had replaced them. This is unacceptable on my part, to let this happen, and arguably it is unacceptable on any veteran player's part.

Edit: Maybe we need a special clothing item, a "tribal leader's hat" or something to that effect to signify who is in charge of delegation. The hat could only be passed directly from the incumbent to his/her successor, in order to ensure that a new player or griefer does not end up with it.

Last edited by Portager (2018-03-12 22:33:31)

#11 2018-03-12 22:49:55

ajdrex

I think the clothing item could work, certainly. At least in terms of designating who is in charge and who should be delegating work. I actually spawned into a community yesterday that sort of did something like that. Though, I think it was more due to scarcity. The leader of the community was fully clothed, he taught me how to farm and where the nearby resources were and things like that, then when he became close to death, he took off his clothes and said you are the leader now, take these. Other people did have clothes, but he (and in turn I) had the most of anyone, as it was my job to go out and make sure things were running smoothly and teach the next generation. Eventually as you get into a society where more and more people are fully clothed it seems necessary to add something to distinguish between players.

I also have been thinking that something as simple as signs could help solve the generational communication gap, if only for very specific things. A sign that says "SEEDS" next to a seeding row and one that says "FOOD" next to rows of produce intended for consumption, for example, could help cut down on veteran players having to check in on everything so frequently (though, like you said, they should do so every once in awhile). But that would also help new people who stumble into the camp (inhabited or otherwise) or newly born newbies to understand that there is a specific system in place that needs to be followed.

#12 2018-03-12 22:53:48

Gate Valley

ajdrex wrote:

Who knows? Maybe there is already some sort of record-keeping feature within the game that just has not been unlocked yet. Until then, though, someone's got to find a way.

Maybe the skill of writing? We're nowhere near that advanced at the moment but I see writing and books being somewhere in the future.

#13 2018-03-13 00:26:05

Left4twenty

I was thinking of the leadership situation earlier and in my opinion, the purpose of the crowns is to add a quick cue on who to ask in a settlement in regards to what.  Leaf crown is the foraging/smithing chief, carrot crown is the farming/baking chief, and the wolf crown is the hunting/trapping chief.  In this manner anyone in a settlement can find their job, and know who to ask if they need to know.  This would also require mothers showing their children where each district works out of, and explaining that crown equals leader of the district

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#14 2018-03-13 00:41:51

Laddy

I think that our best chance is to wait and other week or so when there is actual buildings, if you can lock off the farm then you can control the population yourself, and you can also control them, if they don’t eat they die! Yes this plan will work, I just need to learn how to make a lock and key

Board footer