One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-12 13:39:34

TrustyWay

[Discussion] Highly developed civilisations still feel like garbages.

When you join or build a good civilisation, it still doesn't really feel like it is one, more like a garbage with items all over the place, a maze. I don't feel good because you have to take care of your garbage while stressing but you know it will never be clean. you will never have this thing that makes it UNIQUE.

Only the social is great for the moment. But the place is depressing, I more feel like a hobo trying to reproduce his favorite street in nature. Bad feeling while look at the game even if the concept is my jam.

We could think about somethings that give the game a more pleasing sensation.

If we could put more item next to each other or have more storage units (of everything) it could be a solution

#2 2018-03-12 13:57:29

Cryptodream

Re: [Discussion] Highly developed civilisations still feel like garbages.

There are decent storage units that can carry 3 baskets with 3 items per basket, per square.

We will receive more updates, and the technology would advance. that means, better clothes, better containers, etc...

The game has ben out only for two weeks.

Civilization is going to advance. Dont be so impatient ny friend.

#3 2018-03-12 14:27:03

deBeerlax

I think with more updates, more items will be stackable in those containers like those darn cut pieces of fur and the booties. I like having stuff all over the place IF I know where it's all at. However, having stuff inside containers that have a tooltip for what is inside would free up a lot of clutter. More space could certainly facilitate a community gathering area, one that builds upon the fire area where the children/mothers stay warm.

Can you imagine getting some shaman type people to pass on skills and just boost overall morale? I can see the beginning of that type of thinking with the dyes that were added in this update. Pretty cool stuff.

Do you know what to do with the penguins and seals? I haven't tried anything. I'm ready to get me a bear though!

#4 2018-03-12 14:46:43

DeadEye

Almost everything needs to be stackable to some degree, even empty baskets. That would be the biggest quality of life change the game could have. I completely agree about feeling like you live in a trash heap, it bothers me to no end. When I reach old age I spend a lot of time carting off bones and moving items away from farms.

#5 2018-03-12 15:32:03

coderone

A first step would be the below
https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … ontainers/

Once we can access items better, then we can look complex storage units or even complex item stacking.

#6 2018-03-12 15:47:39

33Spectre

I think people just need to organize around a sort of meritocracy of function.

You want to farm, more power to you...
You want to forge stuff, more power to you...

But the farms and forges should serve a higher purpose, than carting loads of carrots to storage.

I hope I'm explaining myself enough, my point being, that it's really the people that need to "evolve", not so much the game. 

I agree with some of the posts on the forum, criticizing carrot-kraze style farming.
Out of experience of one day playing...

Frantic pace of stuffing carrots in our faces has to evolve.
We have to evolve, or perish. Just like our ancestors...

(Our ancestors had thrill-kill "trolls" too, BTW!)

#7 2018-03-12 23:29:37

TrustyWay

Yeah this feeling kills me deadeye

#8 2018-03-12 23:50:09

Portager

My suspicion is that the next updates are going to deal with storage, this has been a persistent complaint on the forum and elsewhere.

#9 2018-03-13 00:00:58

ned

From what Ive seen of the code (and I'm not much of a programmer, so take this with a grain of salt), the reason that stacking things can be so hard is more of an ingrained problem. It might be difficult to fix. In thinking about ways to stack items, there seem to be two ways to do it, based on what I know of the code.

1) make a new stacked object for each existing object. This would take a while, but allow for Jason to individually, precisely and artistically set the upper bound of stacking for each object. Think of stones and stone piles for this.

2) make the ground itself a container. This would be much simpler, but would suffer a few flaws. Each item would be stacked the same way, regardless of how ugly it was. Plus, since items in containers don't interact in recipes, the code would probably have to be extensively rewritten since pretty much all recipes use something on the ground.

So, for now, boxes (boards and rope) are the best we got for advanced civilizations to stay organized.

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

Board footer