One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-10 01:34:59

Vzor

Re: Easy to play with friends?

jasonrohrer wrote:

There is a chance that you will be born along with your friends, but babies also get spread out randomly.  There is no built-in friend feature.  That's not really what this game is about... it's about different situations in every life.

And even if I wanted to let you play with a friend, how would it work?

Let's say you join a the same time.  That means you're both babies.  So are you siblings with the same mother?  That's one heck of a burden for that mother, and probably only one of you will survive.  Then what?  Your friend tries to get born again.  Are they born to that same over-burdened mother again?  It's a recipe for disaster.

As it stands, there are child-spacing and child distribution algorithms that find the very best-suited mother for each new baby that joins.

I'm still thinking about this issue, and I know that people want to play with friends.  If you have any ideas about how it could work, I'm open to them.

I suppose there could be a "likelihood modifier" where you can enter one friend's email address when you login and simply be more likely to be their baby.  But you and your friend would have to space out your spawns in time to ensure that your friend grows up first before you try to get born.

Also, if your friend happens to be a male character, you're out of luck.

Finding a nearby mother to "force" your friend to be born near you wouldn't be fair to that other player (the one playing the mother).  They would get an extra burden of your friend, even though they don't know you.

Twins maybe? The problem with most of the other solutions is they could be exploited to make a 'super civ' of the same people over and over.

#27 2018-03-12 18:28:37

Pocket

Sometimes your getting born as Eve with a baby.
Wouldnt that be a good idea to make spam together like that?
With the email from your friend.
Or the stuff to add the email from your friend so that he can spam as your baby with a cooldown from 10 minutes?
Sry, not so good with english.
Btw i really love your game and i want to spread it around <3
Waiting a long time for a game like this.

Last edited by Pocket (2018-03-12 18:28:51)

#28 2018-03-12 18:53:43

33Spectre

I personally see the biggest draw of this game in that strange anonymity. Like Omegle chat of gaming culture.

A whole lot of role-play possible, even between your different spawns. I was already an old lady/man greeted off to their grave by most of the village, but I was already fed to a bear for understandable (but vicious) reasons...

You'd give people some sort of identity and I feel it would basically break the fourth wall. We are survivors in that virtual world, discord groups and selective spawning would dilute that world's self-meaning.

Not sure, if I'm explaining my impression well enough. I have a bad habit of tangents, heh...

#29 2018-03-12 20:37:46

coderone

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, I will probably add something like this.

It's pretty easy to do it with a setting where people can enter an email address of their preferred mother...

Well, that can be used to grief someone, right?   Like people could enter MY email address to always be born to me.

So I guess it needs to be more complicated than that... maybe a password that both people type, baby AND mother?

I think this would help the game grow, as people will be more likely to tell there friends to play if they can work together.

#30 2018-03-12 20:50:16

Uncle Gus

He did then also go on later to say that he thought it was a bad idea.

#31 2018-03-12 22:35:56

Pocket

How do there go on co op?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L31h_n9CTU&t=182s

Or can you actually choose a server?
If then how?
Sry^^

#32 2018-04-05 19:47:02

Lizard989

You could have a config with your friend's email, as suggested earlier in this thread, but instead of spawning as their child, you could be placed as a relative to them, a first cousin or closer. It would make it very likely for you to spawn in the same village. It also deals with the waiting problem.

Last edited by Lizard989 (2018-04-05 20:39:05)

#33 2018-04-05 20:44:07

llap

One way to play with friends is if you have your own server.

For Windows User:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=498

You spawn everytime at the same position, there are no griefers odr murders and you are able to test all things without stress. smile

llap Olli

#34 2018-04-17 14:22:07

Rockking06

This is an amazing game and I think it will be the next Minecraft! Here is my suggestion for a Co-op mode that should resolve the issues discussed in this post:

It is very difficult to start as an Eve due to the rate at which babies are born. So pair each Eve spawn with an Adam (not meant to be biblical). This way the Adam can work on gathering resources while Eve starts the family. This will give males more purpose in the game. Then add a co-op mode where you and a friend start as an Adam and Eve together. If you are not in co-op mode the pairing should be random, which could be very interesting whether or not the Adams sticks around to help out. Obviously keep the spawn rate for Eves (and their Adams) the same, players may just need to wait in a queue to play this mode which is acceptable.

Then add a select server feature (discussed in other posts) so that if players want to play together they just pick the same server, but spawn is the same as it is normally, unless they spawn as an Adam & Eve pair. This should prevent gangs because they cannot guarantee that they will be together. But at least they can try to find each other. A a server matures cities will form, by which point the same people joining a server over and over won't matter if they try to troll because the city will have guards.

Keep up the good work!

Board footer