One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-13 00:34:49

AltyBagU

Preferred Gender

Is it me or does anyone prefer a gender at start? I'm guilty of trying to be a girl just for the fact of having the power over other players on deciding if they should live or die (I normally let them live).

#2 2018-08-13 00:46:56

Mirelli

Re: Preferred Gender

I always prefer being born as a girl. Not just because I’m a girl irl but because I know I’m a good enough player to survive to old age regularly, so odds are pretty good that I’ll repopulate if everyone else dies. I also have the ability to abort babies if we have too many people already. Sucks when other mothers ignore you and feed it anyway tho.

Sometimes I enjoy being male because I can do things without having to run back and feed a baby or having to juggle babies and carts if I’m far out in the wilderness. 9 times out of 10 I will suicide if I’m Eve’s son because it’s depressing when all your sisters die lol

I usually play as Eve Storm. If you’re named Phoenix, Bear, Winter, or Summer, it’s probably me smile

#3 2018-08-13 01:02:33

Tarr
Banned

Male if I'm doing some sort of gimmick (Suicide booths, bear collecting, zoos, etc.)  but if I'm specifically aiming to just do whatever I prefer being a girl. Some lives I just like to chill and teach/take care of kids.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2018-08-13 01:07:06

startafight

male. i hate caring for kids n would rather spend time teaching 1 person a specific task

#5 2018-08-13 01:32:00

LaughAtlantis

It depends on the town. In newer camps, I prefer to be male. I want to forage & get resources for the town, or I want to get the specific needed camp items settled - without the interruption of babies.

But in more settled communities, I like having kids and naming them, teaching them, and seeing my lineage take flight.

Yum. Yum. Yum. Meh.

#6 2018-08-13 02:04:00

Anshin

Male. I don't like having to stand around for five minutes waiting for a baby to grow; Then again and again and again while I wait for menopause. I would prefer to be female if we could wear a baby in a sling or cradleboard while we work.

#7 2018-08-13 04:36:55

Go! Bwah!

Male; hate being responsible for complete strangers.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#8 2018-08-13 04:37:13

Neo

Depends on what my plans and what the situation is. Being a male is preferred by most as you don't need to worry about kids, Men can be productive. But as a male  I get abandoned a lot more and I'm generally more expendable then a girl. I might also find myself in a situation where all fertile women have died out and the civ is doomed.

Being a girl has  its benefits, more potential for role play and an excuse to chill a little. Plus your more likely to get spoiled. Girls can continue the family line, even a stupid girl could birth smart kids. Also, Easier to get an heir as a female. I can just pass my stuff to my smartest kid while as a male I have to find a random nephew or niece.

#9 2018-08-13 04:46:37

AltyBagU

Neo wrote:

Depends on what my plans and what the situation is. Being a male is preferred by most as you don't need to worry about kids, Men can be productive. But as a male  I get abandoned a lot more and I'm generally more expendable then a girl. I might also find myself in a situation where all fertile women have died out and the civ is doomed.

Being a girl has  its benefits, more potential for role play and an excuse to chill a little. Plus your more likely to get spoiled. Girls can continue the family line, even a stupid girl could birth smart kids. Also, Easier to get an heir as a female. I can just pass my stuff to my smartest kid while as a male I have to find a random nephew or niece.

That is true. Women are infinitely more valuable for a small village because that's how many babies that can be birthed per year so losing a male is not a big deal. Now in a civilization of a large society men are much more important as they can competently and able to run everything needed. So that is my logic behind my madness.

#10 2018-08-13 05:29:30

Aurora Aurora

A lady because people accept my proposals more often as a female and I enjoy being a mother and getting special connections with my kids and grandkids.

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#11 2018-08-13 16:42:34

Lotus

Female. I love having kids. Naming them, caring for them, traumatizing then with dead bodies... having kids is a great experience.

#12 2018-08-13 20:36:07

CynderR

I love threatening kids with a well. BAD KIDS GO IN HERE!
Id rather be a girl in a small town, or a boy in a large town working on time sensitive tasks (smith, sheep, gatherer) and im glad we have no say in which sex we are born into.
I kinda wish being born as a sex would be a time restriction. Like for this hour you will always be a boy. No runnin off and killing yourself to be reborn as your preferred sex.

#13 2018-08-14 03:12:26

Jk Howling

I tend to base my job around what gender I'm born as, rather than purposely seek out a specific gender for a life. I tend to stick around most camps regardless of gender unless they're bad eve camps with no desert/ponds in sight, or a bustling village that's nearly completed the tech ladder.

If I'm born a female, I'll stick closer to camp and focus on jobs near it. Farming and food-making usually, or sheep tending and compost making if its available. And smaller things in between, like making sure the last fire stays lit, raising my children, giving out tasks, teaching something new to any fresher players.

If I'm born a male, I more often tend to take on jobs that bring me out of camp since I don't have to worry about leading a child back. Iron runs, milkweed trips, rabbit hunting, fetching carts of firewood, or even just taking a sharp stone and bringing back baskets. I also tend to check behind trees while I'm out, and bring back things that were abandoned on the outskirts of towns. I've found everything from discarded pie plates to tools hidden behind trees to a corpse with a backpack full of knives, an apron, and a crown.

I also stick around camp as a male if I notice a job needing done, like if nobody's making compost, or all the berry bushes are dying, or we need more tools made.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-08-14 03:14:58)

-Has ascended to better games-

#14 2018-08-14 19:42:04

MultiLife

I thought long and hard for this and this is the conclusion I came to:
it depends.

I have way more female lives under my belt, maybe because females are raised more often than males.

When I'm playing as a female character, my train of thought and actions are constantly interrupted by children being born, and I have a tendency to demand a lot from my babies (baby testing) so they stop me for a while each time they are born. On the other hand, I consider myself a very capable player, so sometimes I end up being the only surviving fertile woman (knowing tricks of avoiding bears, being careful with snakes and boars, managing to get backup food before a famine strikes...). I know the value of me playing a female character and can carry my "responsibility" with ease and I know what jobs are ideal for the women and I enjoy most jobs anyways. I also enjoy observing my good kids and looking up how they ended up in the family tree, and any special fun chats with them are always great (doesn't apply to "just my kids" of course, but I do have to spend a lot of time with the kids I spawn).

When playing as a male character, there certainly is the freedom. No need for baby testing or stopping. I can teach, I can observe, I can go away from the city whenever to scout for stuff. My death is nothing major (unless I'm the only carrying force in a small base). I feel important as I can fetch stuff for people who can't. But then, I am helpless as I can just watch as a town runs out of women due to newbies or accidents. It's probably THE downside of the male characters.

TL;DR: as a woman I am constantly stopped by baby births, as a man I cannot spawn players when others fail. Error 404, preferred gender not found.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-08-14 19:45:07)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

Board footer