One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-07 23:19:28

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Forums accounts are now for game-account-holders only

You will find the secret phrase for forum registration on your Download page.  This makes it impossible for spammers to register for the forums (well, unless they pay $20).  No more spam.  Magic.

Feel free to give this phrase to anyone who asks and seems legit.  Please give it to them directly by PM, and don't post the phrase publicly.  But most people in the forums have bought game accounts, so it probably won't come up too often.  The casual questions before purchase usually come up on Discord, not the forums.

In the event that a spammer gets the phrase, I'll simply change it to a different phrase.

#2 2018-08-08 00:58:46

Trick

Re: Forums accounts are now for game-account-holders only

Does this impact those of us who have already been posting?  And when does this come into effect?  And when will we get the e-mail with the phrase?

#3 2018-08-08 01:42:06

Jk Howling

As someone who has experienced many things intended for a private community, I'd highly suggest making the secret code automatically cycle at least weekly. I know without a doubt this secret code isn't going to stay secret for very long, and it'd take a lot less effort and attention on your part to have it randomize. Also, what prevents a spammer who's gotten in from continuing to post once done so, aside from you banning them I assume?

Even better, you could always do something similar with the twin codes and have it generate a random combination of words [or letters/numbers] for each individual purchase.

Or perhaps send an email with a "confirmation" link, like many other sites do for signing up. Doubles as both a spam prevention and a validation that the email you used is yours.

Regardless, glad we're getting better spam prevention. The amount of makeup and forged passports/ids/whatever during past evening hours is oof.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-08-08 01:43:54)

-Has ascended to better games-

#4 2018-08-09 04:12:20

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This does not change anything for existing accounts.

There is already email verification on forurm registration.  Has always been.  That doesn't stop spammers, because they sign up with real emails and verify their accounts.  They are human.

The code "leaking" to other people interested in the game is not a problem.  That's the idea, and that's why there's one shared code, instead of a unique code per user.  Even if the word gets out, how does a spammer get the code?

And yes, we do remove spam accounts as soon as we notice them.  Always have.  The problem is that new spam accounts register every day.  How do we stop those?  This code stops them.

I could make it change automatically every week.  I may do that, but it's extra coding work.  So I won't do it unless I have to.

I cannot fathom how a spammer would learn of the code.  It would take a lot of work on their part, and make it not worth their time.

#5 2018-08-09 12:14:51

Uncle Gus

It's wooooorkiiiiiing!

#6 2018-08-09 12:24:58

Neo

jasonrohrer wrote:

This does not change anything for existing accounts.

There is already email verification on forurm registration.  Has always been.  That doesn't stop spammers, because they sign up with real emails and verify their accounts.  They are human.

The code "leaking" to other people interested in the game is not a problem.  That's the idea, and that's why there's one shared code, instead of a unique code per user.  Even if the word gets out, how does a spammer get the code?

And yes, we do remove spam accounts as soon as we notice them.  Always have.  The problem is that new spam accounts register every day.  How do we stop those?  This code stops them.

I could make it change automatically every week.  I may do that, but it's extra coding work.  So I won't do it unless I have to.

I cannot fathom how a spammer would learn of the code.  It would take a lot of work on their part, and make it not worth their time.

What it I just posted it here for their convinience. C;

#7 2018-08-09 18:08:59

Turnipseed

Hey now its not spam! Your being paid for advertising.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#8 2018-08-09 20:31:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

It's on the list of censored words for the forum, so it's not easy to post by accident.

Board footer