One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-03 13:52:22

elpargo

Deseases : A way to teach people to eat properly.

I was thinking of this yesterday after I encountered my first berry-munching town into death...

Basically, the core problem is a game mechanic that is wrong. It is ok to eat the same thing for your whole life. This is true in any game so it's what people are expected to do. However, in OHOL it's different interestingly enough it's bad in an indirect way and I think most new players (myself included) just don't get it until they see older players make better stuff and start to analyze the "food value" and many other things some casual players just don't bother to do or just aren't focused on doing. That said the way to fix this is to make it bad for you to do the same thing many many many times because that way you'll realize you did something wrong. Again remember the problem is not the noobs the problem is that there is no hint that you are doing it wrong especially since berry towns may die a gen or two after you yourself died and noobs think the game is just hard. so how about.....

Perhaps you get sick of eating the same thing too much and that's a hint to players that just doing berries (aka the same thing over and over) is bad for their health?

Maybe yum/yuck can we extended that if you eat the same thing 10-20? times in a row it gives you less health and the ambient changes. Sort of like "don't starve" in which the world gets darker as your sanity decreases giving you the hint that it should be up or else bad things will happen.

So rather than yum being a bonus by itself, yuck can have several levels of yuck. The actual number needs to be calculated but I'm thinking that perhaps 20 years is a good number. After that 40-50 we can even go as far as you dying of "intestinal problems" or something like that. That is a clear message from the game that you are doing something that's bad for "your health" and will push people into more advanced food production which is where I believe Jason intend this to go as well as the most advanced players will love to be.

thoughts?

#2 2018-08-03 14:58:56

Neo

Re: Deseases : A way to teach people to eat properly.

I prefer the obesity isea that was suggested a little while ago. Basically over eating would change your model to look a little chubby and slow you down a bit.

So we'd be able to see who the major sponges are and get them to stop or kill them.

I think that new players start off not eating enough and dying young. After a few deaths they get paranoid and eat at every chance they get, Not realizing that they are slowly killing the town.

Last edited by Neo (2018-08-03 15:04:35)

#3 2018-08-03 15:44:33

Turnipseed

I know when i eat too many dew berrys in the spring i get dysentery

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#4 2018-08-03 16:11:28

JellyLegs

Unnecessarily complicated imo. I prefer simply having a buff so it is optional if you want to micromanage your eating habits. It is hard enough for new players to figure out what they CAN eat without adding another layer of "you HAVE to eat so many different things". I like that you are rewarded for taking the extra step to be mindful of what you eat, but I don't think you should be punished for not doing that. The game is supposed to be fun after all.

#5 2018-08-07 04:01:12

elpargo

It's not really a punishment, similar to the obesity idea. Eating the same thing for 20yrs (in game) should warn you

#6 2018-08-07 04:14:50

Tea

I like the obesity idea as well as the diseases. But I would add sicknesses a bit later, when being a medic is more fun and it's easier to carry pads and such around. Have different plants that can cure diseases and can be crafted into birth control serum. A blue for no babies and a yellow for babies.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

Board footer