One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-11 23:21:31

Matok

Food Study

I've put together a Google doc on some food studies I've done. Anyone who wishes to take a look can access the doc here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1neU … sp=sharing

There's quite a bit to read. To sum up some of the important points:

If you're tending a carrot field your entire life with no clothing, you're overworking yourself.
Put some Pants on.
Campfire cooked food really isn't worth the trouble.
Pies are amazing, but only some of them. Some are a waste and should not be made.
Put some Pants on.
In particular, Rabbit Pies and Carrot Pies are very much worth making and will cut down on how big farms have to be to feed people.
A few Rabbit Pies can feed a fully clothed adult for most of their life.
Children and Elderly should eat Carrot Pie, Adults should eat Rabbit Pie.
Please, please, please, put some Pants on! You're wasting food!

Feel free to comment if you find any mistakes in the doc and I'll correct them.

#2 2018-03-11 23:47:14

Bayo

Re: Food Study

Did you implement the fact that farming wheat destroys the soil?
It might be ok now because of the new carrot seeds doing the same, but in the past tthe fact that every wheat kills one soil made pies too expensive.

#3 2018-03-11 23:55:10

Matok

Bayo wrote:

Did you implement the fact that farming wheat destroys the soil?
It might be ok now because of the new carrot seeds doing the same, but in the past tthe fact that every wheat kills one soil made pies too expensive.

Yep, that's covered in the doc. It's still worth it.

#4 2018-03-12 00:11:14

Commoners

Wheat gives you the ability to make three pies and give you straw to make compost. Every wheat you grow will net you enough rabbit pies to feed one adult for the rest of their life and will give you a net gain of two soil if you compost. That means you can grow another berry bush and another carrot plot to be able to continue composting too.

Or you can use that extra compost to make more milkweed so you can put on pants.

Put on pants and compost.

Last edited by Commoners (2018-03-12 00:11:36)

#5 2018-03-12 00:31:29

Matok

In my own play time, I have been able to sustain myself for most of my adult life off of just three rabbit pies, which can be made from a single plot of wheat.

You'll have to keep yourself alive until you make those pies which is going to take some time, and since most villages are just farming raw carrots you're still going to be eating quite a few carrots unless you strike out on your own.

But in the Conclusions area of the doc, you'll see where I did some math on how much 'work' it takes to feed yourself for a lifetime.

Clothing really is the most important factor, as that'll cut down on how much work you have to do to survive by a lot. You can get it down to only needing to replace one soil in your lifetime if you focus on making Rabbit Pies, or needing to replace one soil in your lifetime if you leave carrots to seed. Either way, you need to compost, and the Rabbit Pie way gives you one of the items you need that you otherwise have to go searching for.

The main difference is that you can live off of 1 or 2 plots of wheat your adult life, or you can live off of 10 to 20 plots of raw carrots your adult life.

It's up to how much farm work you want to put in and if you care about getting anything else done.

#6 2018-03-12 00:42:04

Commoners

Matok wrote:

It's up to how much farm work you want to put in and if you care about getting anything else done.

The carrot death spiral is real and is what happens most of the time when people start agriculture.

Board footer