One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-21 03:57:06

Valences42

Good job Jason

Hi guys,

Just posting positivity here.  Being a programmer sounds really hard.  It seems like it would be impossible to plan for everything.

Updates take risks but then again, nothing is stale.  There is almost always growth and improvement.

So, Good Job Jason.

Being creative can be a hard thing. Being brave and persistent = growth!

#2 2018-07-21 04:22:15

Turnipseed

Re: Good job Jason

Yup, great job!

I only play 1 or 2 lives a day, but its a really great game!

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#3 2018-07-21 05:21:26

Feldspar

Yus positivity! I have to say the recent row have updates have massively improved the game 10x. I feel like Jason is doing a really good job ironing out the kinks of what has got to be an incredibly hard game to balance smile

just here putting off doing my assignments

#4 2018-07-21 05:48:51

Cecil

Jason rocks. I don't know how he did it, and how he continues to do it, but I'm glad he does!

#5 2018-07-21 06:39:08

WalrusesConquer

It's is extremely difficult to manage a game AND  a social life, but he does it AND he does it well!
#respect

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#6 2018-07-21 11:50:32

third.eye

How do you know he has a social life? big_smile

#7 2018-07-21 13:17:35

mikekchar

I also want to say thank you for making this game!  I don't actually play that much, but what little I do, I enjoy immensely.  I also follow what's going on by watching Youtube, which I guess is kind of lame, but works for me :-)

As for interesting social life, I've been following Jason's career for a while now -- first got interested in his games when Cultivation came out.  There were some articles here an there about how he lived his life at the time.  Let me put it this way, if you play OHOL, maybe you already have a good idea :-).  I even wrote him and asked for advice since I was considering doing similar things (I had just quit my job as a programmer and was living in essentially a shack on the beach in Japan).  He was kind enough to write me back, and even though I decided to go a different way (the person who became my wife is very adaptable, but perhaps not quite up to  the alternative lifestyle I was heading towards), I've remained a huge fan ever since.

One of the things I've always admired about him is that he tries to write games for a living, but puts everything in the public domain.  He builds practically everything himself, even though it would be easier by far to glue together some libraries off the internet.  But even though he builds stuff, he doesn't get bogged down forever writing a game engine -- he write games.  And every game he writes is provocative and unapologetic.  (I've mentioned before in passing about having to completely rewrite the ending of Cultivation :-D)  The only game programmer I know of who is on par is Kenta Cho (and I haven't seen anything from him in a long time -- I think he got swallowed up by the real world, which is incredibly unfortunate).

But by far the best thing about Jason (from my perspective) is that he gives people so much room to find the best side of themselves.  I was so happy when OHOL got as popular as it did, but I'm even happier now when I see what the game has become.  If it were me I would have reacted poorly to the feedback he's been given and would have missed a lot of opportunities.  I'm incredibly grateful for being able to watch the ride.

So, thanks again Jason and I hope things aren't too stressful (I'm sure release was insane, but it will be nice if it calms down a bit from there :-) ).  BTW, I really want to get Cultivation running again -- it seems to have suffered from bit rot.  Would be a fun little project. Anyone interested in helping (no matter what your programming level, as long as you want to learn), give me a shout at my user id on gmail.

#8 2018-07-21 16:15:44

Valences42

mikekchar wrote:

But by far the best thing about Jason (from my perspective) is that he gives people so much room to find the best side of themselves.  I was so happy when OHOL got as popular as it did, but I'm even happier now when I see what the game has become.  If it were me I would have reacted poorly to the feedback he's been given and would have missed a lot of opportunities.  I'm incredibly grateful for being able to watch the ride.

+1

#9 2018-07-22 00:37:17

las30

People need to keep adding to this post. There has been a whole lot of complaining with very little positive comments over the past 3 months. Thank you Valences42 for starting this and to all those who have contributed so far. Jason does read the forum.

#10 2018-07-22 00:52:40

Chard

A lot of the things people get upset about they probably only get upset about because the game means something to them. They could probably stand to say it more. Looking forward to lag fixes. Keep up the good work!

#11 2018-07-22 11:40:47

Alf

las30 wrote:

People need to keep adding to this post. There has been a whole lot of complaining with very little positive comments over the past 3 months. Thank you Valences42 for starting this and to all those who have contributed so far. Jason does read the forum.

I would not say so. Except for the tiny issues with twins and so on all the topics including players' gameplays (I mean stories) are actually kind of a word of approval for Jason. It means people really do have fun with the game and those topics express some kind of gratitude.

#12 2018-07-23 18:50:56

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Thanks, everyone!

Last time I checked, Cultivation still worked on Windows.  And I'm pretty sure it's still part of the official Debian distro.  But yeah, if you've been riding since Cultivation, it's been a long ride.  Thank you!

Board footer