One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-20 22:05:02

WomanWizard

Would any newbies be interested in some 1 on 1 twin lessons?

We could discord chat or something. Learn tips and tricks and general setting up camp and survival basics. It's sometimes hard to teach my newer babies since they can only communicate one letter at a time smile

#2 2018-07-20 23:19:40

FeignedSanity

Re: Would any newbies be interested in some 1 on 1 twin lessons?

WomanWizard wrote:

We could discord chat or something. Learn tips and tricks and general setting up camp and survival basics. It's sometimes hard to teach my newer babies since they can only communicate one letter at a time smile

I would just like to start off by saying that that's very nice of you to volunteer your services like this.

I do have a question though, would you also entertain the idea of 1 on 1 twining with a very experienced player to make sure you don't misinform any future students. Like telling them not to pick the last berry on a bush, or to not dry the wells, or to not take the last clay from a clay pit because if you do they don't regrow...all of which I've seen people try to "teach". Not that I'm volunteering myself, just a question. I tend to ask a lot of those and this post intrigued me.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#3 2018-07-20 23:27:41

Cecil

That's a cool offer. I hope people are interested in taking you up on it.

FeignedSanity wrote:
WomanWizard wrote:

I would just like to start off by saying that that's very nice of you to volunteer your services like this.

I do have a question though, would you also entertain the idea of 1 on 1 twining with a very experienced player to make sure you don't misinform any future students. Like telling them not to pick the last berry on a bush, or to not dry the wells, or to not take the last clay from a clay pit because if you do they don't regrow...all of which I've seen people try to "teach". Not that I'm volunteering myself, just a question. I tend to ask a lot of those and this post intrigued me.

I get what you mean, but I like how you pretty much suggested OP needs a teaching license to help people. wink
Don't sweat it, man. Even in the event that something is inaccurate, any help is better than no help.

Last edited by Cecil (2018-07-20 23:31:30)

#4 2018-07-20 23:34:06

WomanWizard

No, it's a great idea to pair up with an experienced player as well! I don't plan on teaching players any of those things, no worries. But there's probably stuff for me to learn as well, I'm sure.

I'm thinking stuff like temp running, surviving in the wild, setting up an Eve camp. It'll have to depend on where we spawn of course, so it'll be a little informal. No tried an true lesson plan or anything. Just a bit of in-game fun.

#5 2018-07-21 00:08:31

FeignedSanity

Cecil wrote:

I get what you mean, but I like how you pretty much suggested OP needs a teaching license to help people. wink
Don't sweat it, man. Even in the event that something is inaccurate, any help is better than no help.

I never suggested such a thing, just merely entertaining the possibility. And I disagree with your following statement. I think misinformation is much more harmful than ignorance.

WomanWizard wrote:

No, it's a great idea to pair up with an experienced player as well! I don't plan on teaching players any of those things, no worries. But there's probably stuff for me to learn as well, I'm sure.

I'm thinking stuff like temp running, surviving in the wild, setting up an Eve camp. It'll have to depend on where we spawn of course, so it'll be a little informal. No tried an true lesson plan or anything. Just a bit of in-game fun.

Ah I see. Well, I'm glad that those aren't on the lesson plan tongue Those were just some examples I've seen, but I know these people mean well.

Like I said, that's very nice of you to offer and I hope that some new players are willing to take you up on it. Thank you for going additional steps to improve the community. This concept just seemed so novel to me, and wanted to pursue a thought I had.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2018-07-21 00:11:34)

#6 2018-07-21 00:15:02

Jk Howling

That's a fantastic idea actually, sorta like a tutoring program! Was thinking of something like it since we can now work one-on-one directly people of our choosing.

I'd be happy to pitch in and tutor-twin with people as well if they'd like to. Basic early game like temprunning and setting up an eve camp, or happy to walk through something like forging iron. The more people we have that know how to handle things, the better civilizations we can build. And the less excuses grumpy veterans like Pein have to kill people.

Also I might be a bit bored waiting for the next content update.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-07-21 02:53:46)

-Has ascended to better games-

#7 2018-07-21 02:39:52

WomanWizard

There we go. Two mentors so far and zero students!

If people really are interested in this idea though, I'll have a look at setting something up for it on discord.

#8 2018-07-21 02:52:47

Jk Howling

WomanWizard wrote:

There we go. Two mentors so far and zero students!

If people really are interested in this idea though, I'll have a look at setting something up for it on discord.

Actually I just finished my first tutoring session with someone who approached me on Discord after seeing this thread! We had a bit of a rough start, as they wanted to learn smithing and we kept getting born to or as eves. Snakes were really out to get us haha.

Eventually I recalled being able to enter the Tutorial as twins, so we did that and walked through the smithing process pretty smoothly. It was enjoyable, if not a struggle prior to remembering the extra tutorial zone. I'll definitely keep that in mind for next time.

Unfortunately it also made me realize that trying to work with someone and teach them something more advanced like compost would be difficult. Perhaps in the future we'll get more advanced tutorials to teach compost and tending the sheep. Would be very good for 1-on-1 sessions rather than having to go through multiple lives til you spawn in a village.

-Has ascended to better games-

#9 2018-07-21 03:11:51

WomanWizard

Yeah, that's why I was thinking of doing more basic stuff, since we can't really control what environment we are born into, and what mothers are willing to keep us. It's great that you got it to work out though! Maybe I'll just join the official discord (I'm assuming that's where you were approached) and work from there.

Do you just both click tutorial after death to get reborn into it or what?

#10 2018-07-21 03:13:04

YAHG

I think a good way might also to just go onto a high number server and either twin or get born to the teacher.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#11 2018-07-21 03:18:19

Turnipseed

YAHG wrote:

I think a good way might also to just go onto a high number server and either twin or get born to the teacher.

If this game ever gets HUGE there should be an official mentor system.

Option: be reborn as mentor
Option: be reborn as a student

In an optimal spot with lots of mats to lend to a teaching environment.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#12 2018-07-21 03:24:44

YAHG

Turnipseed wrote:
YAHG wrote:

If this game ever gets HUGE there should be an official mentor system.

Option: be reborn as mentor
Option: be reborn as a student

In an optimal spot with lots of mats to lend to a teaching environment.

There is the test server. IIR you can set up the test map with items and terrain and such as well as possibly change the bounds.

What you wanna do then is just set up a training room with the stuff you need to learn either X or most everything.

Most people understand things if you just walk em through it once live. I assume the rest of them don't really want to learn.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#13 2018-07-21 03:26:01

Trick

FeignedSanity wrote:
WomanWizard wrote:

Wait... clay regenerates?

#14 2018-07-21 03:29:43

YAHG

#15 2018-07-21 04:08:16

WomanWizard

Trick wrote:

Yeah, I'd never heard that either.

#16 2018-07-21 07:34:40

PunkyFickle

Cecil wrote:

Even in the event that something is inaccurate, any help is better than no help.

Heresy to the Forum! Excommunication awaits!

Trick wrote:

It indeed doesn't, as berries regrow on a wild bush even if the last one is gone and water comes back in dry wells. That's the all point of his argumentation.

#17 2018-07-21 09:13:22

Neo

That would be a cool feature to have in the game. An option for a new player to pair up with a mentor of sorts.

The more experienced person could then teach there newer twin, tho it might be hard given twins current reputation as being mostly team griefers.

Maybe you could put them in a tutorial type area

Last edited by Neo (2018-07-21 10:53:36)

#18 2018-07-21 10:53:47

Neo

Neo wrote:

That would be a cool feature to have in the game. An option for a new player to pair up with a mentor of sorts.

The more experienced person could then teach there newer twin, tho it might be hard given twins current reputation as being mostly team griefers.

Maybe you could put them in a tutorial type area

#19 2018-07-21 16:11:47

Valences42

WomanWizard wrote:
Trick wrote:

I was scared there for a minute!  Glad inanimate objects aren't secretly alive and regenerating... You never know with this game though... lol.  Game meta evolves.

I am not technically new, but I've been taking a break for a bit and would love to refresh my memory.  There have been so many updates and changes.  If you don't constantly play, it's easy to accidentally piss consistent players off.

So yeah, I would happily take you up on the offer.  smile

#20 2018-07-21 17:17:31

PunkyFickle

Valences42 wrote:

I am not technically new, but I've been taking a break for a bit and would love to refresh my memory.

Weren't you liberated from your tutorial enclosure a few days ago as Operation Liberate the Noobs was happening, by any chance?

#21 2018-07-21 17:43:38

FeignedSanity

Valences42 wrote:
WomanWizard wrote:
Trick wrote:

I was scared there for a minute!  Glad inanimate objects aren't secretly alive and regenerating... You never know with this game though... lol.  Game meta evolves.

I am not technically new, but I've been taking a break for a bit and would love to refresh my memory.  There have been so many updates and changes.  If you don't constantly play, it's easy to accidentally piss consistent players off.

I'm not sure if Trick was playing along, or if it actually went completely over his head.

But no, they do not. That was the whole premise. These were all things that I've seen people try to teach, that they were simply incorrect about. All of these lessons were completely contrary to how the game actually works.

And the updates are always listed somewhere. You don't even have to play a single game to keep up to date with it tongue

#22 2018-07-21 18:14:37

WomanWizard

Valences42 wrote:

Yeah I'd be up for that! How long have you been gone? I assume you're looking for stuff like how all the farming works now and what natural resources do or don't regenerate these days?

I'm not a discord expert, but I put together a server if case anyone's interested. I might need some guidance on how to manage it though since I've really only ever used discord for D&D.

Also if someone could point me in the direction of the official discord, that would be great smile

Thank you JK for stepping up and offering to twin mentor people as well. I'm seeing you in other forum threads making the offer and that's great!

#23 2018-07-21 19:35:51

PunkyFickle

https://discord.gg/JNn7JJ

Beware, stuff happen there.

#24 2018-07-21 20:32:49

Valences42

I guess what I was trying to say is that hands on learning works the best for me.  I like the updates, and they all make sense so far.  Onetech is great!  I keep up with the forums too...guides people come up with are good.

But until I practice new features, I'm going to be kinda the village oddball for a while. 

there are weird gaps in my knowledge base that can only be filled by trying and failing a bunch of times.  And that's ok.

WomanWizard being a Twinning mentor sounds pretty cool.  Whatever would help me be a better player, honestly.

#25 2018-07-21 21:30:33

mspixx
New User

Hey there. I'm still relatively new to the game and would love to partake in this. I am up to learning anything as long as it makes me useful in a civilization. I actually already had a bit of a tutor lesson from the lovely JK Howling but would love to have another- it makes me enjoy learning a lot more than I already do!

I'm in the Discord group under the same name, (mspixx#5011) so if you have some free time on your hands I would definitely be up for some tutoring, whatever you'd want to teach!

Board footer