One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-20 05:48:16

Nika50501

New generation item: [Apple] tree

[Didnt read too long]: The new Apple tree item is intended to be built over generations (similar to the bell tower), unlike the monument however if it goes unattended until its done “growing” it will die out and turn into a dead tree. It will not yield any fruit while its growing (6-10 hours) so there will be no short term advantage to having it(think big people!).It can only be started at a root(cut) of another maple tree. Once fully grown it will not die out and will yield a batch of apples every 2-10 hours, but beware that like all other trees it can be cut down with an axe!

One of the things that makes this game so unique is the fact that players have to collaborate in order to achieve their goals, however many people forget how important it is to plan ahead for future generations by leaving them cues on how to proceed or building in a manner that will create a more sustainable large civilization down the line (by starting a civ near a large pool of lakes for example) .
We often get to see a single player who desperately tries to bake pies or take care of a farm but once that player dies from old age there is rarely anyone who takes his/her place , which eventually leads to death of the civ.
While You cannot force players to collaborate , but you can give them the idea of how it feels like to plan ahead: My idea is simple-A tree!
Hear me out, the new Apple Tree item will introduce a new mechanic where succeeding members of a civ will CONTINUALLY have to take care of it through time to make it survive,that is if in the 6-10 growing time period it doesnt get water and fertilizer (new item) it will wither and turn into a dead tree. Just to reiterate the key difference between the bell tower and the Apple tree is that you cannot stop “building” it midway and come back to it after half an eternity to finish it. The benefit of this structure will be that it will give a batch of apples every 2-10 hours after it has fully grown, yielding no short term advantage whatsoever (think big people!) . To avoid game balancing issues the tree can only be grown at a base of a chopped maple tree(the trunk), and as any other tree in game it can be chopped and can be destroyed by griefers. I was also thinking of adding an item that you get from a bear cave that is needed to plant the tree sapling but Im certain that Jason is a lot better at coming up at implementation details than I am.

Anyways, What do you think?

#2 2018-07-20 12:41:59

Anshin

Re: New generation item: [Apple] tree

2HOL has apfel trees (apple in German.)
But with your idea a tree would take 360-600 years to grow. That's simply beyond unrealistic.
I would love to see orchards and tree farms, but not taking hundreds of years. In fact I think a lot of the wait times between steps will need to be eliminated as we move up the tech tree. Higher tech will bring about these long cooperative projects. It's going to take a lot of people to put a monorail together. I'm really looking forward to more of everything!

#3 2018-07-20 14:21:35

WalrusesConquer

I like the idea and the recipes that could come from that (Apple pie?) But my issue is how many apples on the tree
Too little= not really worth it
Too much = a lot of growing clutter
I think this is more likely to happen in higher tech
But yeah APPLE PIE!!

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#4 2018-07-20 16:23:42

tana

also not really doable now, since most civs die in about  max 10 hours when succesfull, so by the time a new eve respawn in a dead civ the tree is probably dead

but i do like the idea, we really need more of those inter generation building thingies

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#5 2018-07-21 02:48:05

YAHG

I don't like it.

Sounds like a lot of work for a shit reward while being super fragile the whole time.

Prestige items are fun like once for some people, but are mostly useless for gameplay.
Think roses.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

Board footer