One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-14 20:14:22

riskybusiness

Liz the Racist

I was born a boy to a small settlement - not quite an Eve start, but not a village either. We had a berry farm, stable soil supply, water nearby. It was looking good. I thanked my mother after I reached 3 years old and then set to work on helping the berry farms. But not for long.

I saw a little girl begging for food from her mother, who said no. I was going to ask the mother why she wouldn't feed her child, but fed the child first, just in case it was because they were busy or something. No. It was because she was black. Liz told me that I should not feed the baby because she was black, and threatened to shoot me if I did - which was very real, since she held a bow and arrow as she said it. I fed the baby anyway, simply replying "racist."

Everybody protested and told Liz that she couldn't kill a baby just because it was black. But Liz threatened them with her bow and arrow. Eventually, I was the only one going against Liz, and kept feeding the baby. Liz left. I thought I had won, until she came back and shot the baby. I was shocked. I shouted "kill" "er!" and everybody cursed Liz, though I could not because I did not have enough letters. I apologised to the baby as she died.

I then made it my mission to kill Liz. As soon as the baby died, I stole the arrow and hid it behind a maple tree, and Liz didn't see me do this. Liz then ran past me just as I had finished, and she had no bow in her hands. That was good, it meant I didn't have to make one. But it was nowhere to be found. As I was searching, I came across my mother, who had just given birth to a little girl. A black little girl.

Quickly, I told my mother about Liz's racism and how she needed to hide her baby. She just said "wow" and continued to stand there feeding her baby. I begged her to run, but then Liz came along and said "Oooh." I knew what she was thinking about. My mother put my sister down in front of her, and desperately I tried to pick her up, but I was too young. Liz swooped in and scooped her up, running into the woods with her. My sister had been named Charlotte, and my mother, a second cousin (or something) and I chased after her, saying "Baby jump!".

Charlotte took our advice and leaped from the racist woman's arms, straight into the old lady (my second cousin - let's call her Margaret)'s arms. Margaret took her back to the farm, and had to put her down in order to eat, but Liz was closer than she'd thought and kidnapped Charlotte again. I chased her, and Margaret too, but my mother had given up. Finally, we brought her back to the farm and fed her berries, since I was a boy and Margaret was old.

When Charlotte had grown, I told her to watch out, since Liz had killed before. She thanked me and agreed to be extra vigilant. Then I searched for milkweed, to make a yew bow. I did not find it. There was no milkweed anywhere, and no seeds either - this is one of the more frequent problems in civilisations, but more of that later. In the end, I had to travel far, far north to find enough milkweed for a rope, which I made a bow with.

Next, I put the bow somewhere safe and got an axe to chop down the tree the arrow was behind. I saw that Liz was asking for an arrow, and begged me to give her to arrow "to kill a goose." I wasn't stupid. I said "No!" and made sure she had left before cutting down the tree and fitting the arrow to the bow. I found Liz talking to my other (white) sister, who was nursing two babies. She said "Hi" before seeing me with the bow, and ran in circles so I could not shoot her. I did not give up, and did not stop to explain to my sister, Jess, who was screaming "No! Stop, brother! Omg!"

It seems Mother Nature (or a snake at least) was on my side that day, and while Liz was running away from me, she was bitten in the chest by a snake. She shouted "for fuck's sake!" and ran south. I was disappointed that I had not killed her, but happy that she was dying. I found her behind a maple tree, of all things, with my sister Jess nearby. She was laughing hysterically while Jess mourned her demise, screaming "You can't shoot me now! HAHAHA!"

"You're dying anyway..." I replied. Then, though it was immature of me: "HAHAHA!"

She shouted, "I want to shoot you! I killed every kid in this town! I will shoot you!"

"You can't... you're dead." I said happily, noticing that her red speech had gone silent. Then, I saw my sister and nephew and niece watching me with terrified eyes. I placed the bow on the floor and explained all that Liz had done in her life. Jess did not say anything, and I don't know what her opinion of me was. I only hope she didn't hate me.

I then went north to find Charlotte and tell her what I had done. Unfortunately, maybe I was a bit too provoking in my last words to Liz... the same snake bit me, and I quietly said "Fuck."

I told Charlotte and Margaret what I had done, and they thanked and congratulated me. A little boy who had presumably been told stories about Liz's reign of terror congratulated me and mourned my death, before being bit by a different snake. He said "Ow" and his mother screamed in sorrow. I said "Oh no... sorry kid."

"It's ok." he replied.

"Here we both go." I smiled reassuringly, and passed away surrounded by the ones I had died for.

Some people are just so horrible that they even use games to promote their racist thoughts. I find it disgusting that in a game - a simple game - we STILL have racists and griefers. Some people do this to make the game more realistic or whatever, but it really just ruins my experience. I'm glad Liz got a load of curses and died to a snake. I did curse Liz when I was old enough. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the story. And by the way - Liz didn't kill all the kids in the town. I checked.

Family Tree - http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=556993

Last edited by riskybusiness (2018-07-15 09:24:16)

#2 2018-07-14 21:47:11

AnobeseWalrus

Re: Liz the Racist

I feel like I've played with this person before, I had them as a baby and they said "Nig" to his relatives. He was still a helpless baby so I let him starve lol.

#3 2018-07-14 21:57:17

forestglade

Yep, when you play here long enough you’ll see more black kids getting killed and Hitler worship.

#4 2018-07-14 23:02:26

IamKevio
Sleeping User

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. She got what she deserved.

Saria II murdered me with a bow.
I will always remember, through many lives.
One day I will avenge my ancestors.

#5 2018-07-15 01:29:25

Trick

User YAHG on these forums is a self-proclaimed racist.

This is a problem in the game, and there are a lot of people who think it's 'funny' and/or defend it for some reason or another.  The game developer, Jason, has been noticeably quiet about the issue.

Anyway, I say they are pieces of shit and everyone should band together to curse and kill them off.  If they want to be trash, they can play by themselves.

Just know that you aren't alone in despising these people.

#6 2018-07-15 01:35:56

TrustyWay

forestglade wrote:

Yep, when you play here long enough you’ll see more black kids getting killed and Hitler worship.

Or the reverse, but still worshiping hitler hahaha

#7 2018-07-15 02:04:47

YAHG

Lol if your story is even true. I have caught plenty of liars already in here.

If you want to pretend things that are true are not true that is your problem not mine, Trick. There is PLENTY of Data..
You also dodged everything in that thread like a coward.
If the Truth is racist, is it better to just lie to yourself instead?

Just because some people prefer their self congratulatory moral preening doesn't make reality change.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#8 2018-07-15 02:18:41

Trick

YAHG wrote:

Lol if your story is even true. I have caught plenty of liars already in here.

If you want to pretend things that are true are not true that is your problem not mine, Trick. There is PLENTY of Data..
You also dodged everything in that thread like a coward.
If the Truth is racist, is it better to just lie to yourself instead?

Just because some people prefer their self congratulatory moral preening doesn't make reality change.

I didn't dodge anything.  I intentionally ignored you.  I am not going to get into a debate about whether or not people of colour are genetically (or otherwise) inferior to white people.

And you did, in fact, claim yourself as a racist (and then proved it, and are proving it again).

Go away.

Last edited by Trick (2018-07-15 02:19:13)

#9 2018-07-15 02:20:07

YAHG

Cowardice.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#10 2018-07-15 02:24:15

Trick

YAHG wrote:

Cowardice.

At least I am not a deplorable human being.

#11 2018-07-15 02:26:12

YAHG

Dat irony..

#12 2018-07-15 02:54:43

TrustyWay

You clearly live the ''racism'' situation differently you both, different countries I guess

Trick talks about the hateful racism that people promote through lies and it should be stop indeed but yahg talks about maybe everydays life, things that can be true such as gypsies in europe or chinese people in japan (you must live them to understand)

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-07-15 03:02:16)

#13 2018-07-15 03:22:14

Trick

TrustyWay wrote:

You clearly live the ''racism'' situation differently you both, different countries I guess

Trick talks about the hateful racism that people promote through lies and it should be stop indeed but yahg talks about maybe everydays life, things that can be true such as gypsies in europe or chinese people in japan (you must live them to understand)

To say that all Romani people or all Chinese people are *insert stereotype here* is also discriminatory.  It is not ALL.  It might be some, but not all.

If people said all Americans were gun-toting, Trump-loving, trailer-park dwelling hicks, a lot of people would be offended.  Why?  Because it isn't true.  There are a lot of American people who do not live that lifestyle, regardless of what stereotypes pervade.  It is offensive and can be harmful to paint a whole group of people with the same brush, especially if such a characterization leads to that group of people being targeted or discriminated against (which happens WAY too often).

Not to mention that those who suggest that people of colour or people of certain groups/ethnicities are *insert derogatory comment here* are usually ignoring/denying the reality of the context/history/existing power structure/discrimination/etc..  They talk about these things as if they were isolated incidents, as though it were not preceded by a lifetime of situations that have led to the scenario being discussed.

Bigotry, discrimination, racism, sexism, etc. is borne out of ignorance, fear, and a nasty propensity for hatred.  Full stop.

#14 2018-07-15 03:45:02

TrustyWay

Ofc we don't talk about an whole group like it was one person, it would be stupidity. Ofc there are educated chinese nonetheless many chinese litterally throw their shit pappers next to the toilets because their pipes are too thin to flush the paper and they spit everywhere, in china and japan. You can even tell if the person is chinese or japanese just by looking how they move in public.

Anyway I didn't want to discuss about the difference between reality and discrimination, but that many people who troll with racism aren't rasict in the first place, they want the people to overreact because it is pleasant to tickle people.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-07-15 04:02:20)

#15 2018-07-15 04:01:50

YAHG

I don't hate people cause of their race. I also NEVER said people were inferior.
I didn't even call Trick inferior. I don't even hate Trick.

I make it a point to NOT edit my posts (there is one of em out there, forgot the punch line of a joke and didn't want to wait a minute) so that it is clear that I am not dodging.

If you notice and admit real differences between subspecies of people, people call that racist.
I don't really care if that is racist or not and if that makes me a racist then whatever..

Humans lived in effective genetic isolation for thousands of years.. adapting to their environments.
Those environments are different and you can see the different adaptations that occurred in different locations.
Those environments are NOT limited to nature and climate, law, custom and historical events also impose selections on all groups.
Evolution has not stopped, even today there are strong and weak selection pressures on Humans.
Even things like welfare law and crime punishment statutes effect the genetics and thus the phenotype's of Human populations.

For example, there is historical evidence of how the European justice system in the middle ages lowered the overall aggression levels of Western Europeans.
(It was very brutal and they killed TONS of people lowering their effective fertility)

The thing is it DOESN'T MATTER if this stuff is racist.. it is STILL TRUE

Smart people are not better than Dumb people, pretty not better than ugly, strong is not better than weak.
Not in any absolute sense, smart people are better at being smart than stupid people, while worse than them at being stupid.

Trick is a arguing dishonestly and moving goalposts, ignoring evidence and calling for hatred and trying to demean others as
worthless without deigning to understand them at all.

NA(x)ALT type arguments suggest the person is either legit an idiot or being dishonest.

You are welcome to try to talk to him but he isn't willing to be wrong.

Still, I don't hate him. I get it.

Imagine you got a whole social circle and they are all like this.. They have their beliefs and if anyone steps out of the allowed
bounds of thought, they are cut down and ostracized. You aren't even allowed to talk with them anymore. They are never to be
listened to or considered, nothing, none of that.

If you are in that sort of group you don't even want to listen to the ostracized guy cause then it is gonna happen to you. You
are gonna loose your friends and family, maybe your job. Maybe you will now be out on the street homeless, whatever your fear is.

This sort of thing is pretty normal though and human and isn't really something to feel super bad about. He is just being a cute
Human. Imagine all the horrible shit that could happen to him if he listened to me.. Lord, what if he listened to me and then after
he AGREED with me..

WTF is he supposed to then? How is he supposed to deal with his friends, his family? Lie to them about what he thinks? Be a fake?
Have people hate him? Try to ruin his life? Maybe loose his romantic partner? Even if he keeps it to himself, maybe someone will
try to out him to all those people anyways and get him fired. Happens allllllll the time.

So. What can you really do?

These people are still inherently dangerous because they really do hate. They are also lovable because you can see why they
might do what they do. It isn't wise to pretend they are not dangerous, I think it is best to accept them as they are.

I find it all very interesting.

#16 2018-07-15 04:04:25

TrustyWay

Where are you from already yahg ?
(wondering because of the way you type)

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-07-15 04:08:47)

#17 2018-07-15 04:24:22

YAHG

Merica... Fuck YEAH!

#18 2018-07-15 07:56:12

Tane

That explains it

#19 2018-07-15 09:21:02

Alleria

Trick wrote:

User YAHG on these forums is a self-proclaimed racist.

This is a problem in the game, and there are a lot of people who think it's 'funny' and/or defend it for some reason or another.  The game developer, Jason, has been noticeably quiet about the issue.

Anyway, I say they are pieces of shit and everyone should band together to curse and kill them off.  If they want to be trash, they can play by themselves.

Just know that you aren't alone in despising these people.

I don't think anybody really cares if you think YAHG is a piece of shit. You shouldn't be talking about people behind their back like a filthy coward.

The reason you don't address YAHG's core arguments and instead "ignore" him is because you find it easier to enfeeble your intellect and let yourself be controlled by your feelings. It's self-protective behaviour that protects you from emotional distress - cowardice.

@OP In-game racism is incredibly rare and you need to understand that people can say unpleasant things and the simplest solution is to simply ignore it. As the esteemed Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau said "Fighting racists means the racists win".

Last edited by Alleria (2018-07-15 09:21:23)

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#20 2018-07-15 12:17:50

Tane

Alleria wrote:

"Fighting racists means the racists win".

Lol, pretty sure the WW2 generation would disagree with him.
And the survivors.

If you want to wax philosophical, then tolerating racism is the worst thing you can do, and our history shows that repetitively.
Slavery in America, the holocaust, the Armenian genocide, the Tutsi genocide or the Rohingya attacks... Every one of them happened because it entered into the popular culture that these people were lesser somehow.
Its an easy formula that's been repeated again and again. Dehumanize a population and you can act less than human towards them.
There's another, more famous quote you should have heard of by now.
"Evil prevails when good men see it and do nothing."

Maybe it's time for you to rethink what "good" means to you.

Oh, also, this is a public forum for a small group of players, so nothing is said "behind their back"

Also, relearn your vocabulary. You second sentence doesn't make sense.

#21 2018-07-15 14:41:41

Alleria

Thanks for writing all that based on a joke about Trudeau.

I'm not sure what's wrong with my second sentence, please elaborate.

Talking about someone who's not in the metaphorical room would constitute "talking behind their back". Since YAHG wasn't in the thread (the room), I believe it was a valid thing to say.

#22 2018-07-15 14:42:28

TrustyWay

YAHG wrote:

Merica... Fuck YEAH!

Lol, I thought you were russian for some reasons.

#23 2018-07-15 15:09:07

Tane

Alleria wrote:

Talking about someone who's not in the metaphorical room would constitute "talking behind their back". Since YAHG wasn't in the thread (the room), I believe it was a valid thing to say.

In a public forum, nothing is private. In a forum that is specifically for players and with his time on the boards its more than likely he would see it, its inevitable.

With the second sentence its was "enfeeble your intellect and let yourself be controlled by your feelings". It just doesn't make sense since you would be trying NOT to react to your feelings and reply to the comment.

#24 2018-07-15 15:11:41

Schlorghan

IM very tired Tane the Lion, so im just going to nod instead of reading the whol thing

I prefer kidnapping to giving birth.

#25 2018-07-15 15:39:13

Alleria

Tane wrote:
Alleria wrote:

In a public forum, nothing is private. In a forum that is specifically for players and with his time on the boards its more than likely he would see it, its inevitable.

With the second sentence its was "enfeeble your intellect and let yourself be controlled by your feelings". It just doesn't make sense since you would be trying NOT to react to your feelings and reply to the comment.

It really depends on how you want to define the idiom "behind one's back". I'm really not interested in critiquing how relevant a subjective idiom is in a certain context.

I really don't understand what you're trying to say, but that wasn't the second sentence, it was the third. Regardless, I was referring to how Trick appears to weight emotion over logic.

Definitions for clarity:
Enfeeble - make weak or feeble.
Intellect - a person's mental powers.

Board footer