One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-09 04:19:16

Fear

(suggestion) a change to respawns

There is only one thing I don't like about this game, and of course, being a nitpicker, I am talking about it. In this game I'd put in effort making something in the game for an hour only to die and probably never see it again. I dislike survival games where lots of time and effort, or in this case just effort, are put into something just to have it all taken from you, and in this game it's part of the very rules that anything you make and do in the hour you live will remain, but you'll probably never see it or benefit from it again. I understand that lots of people don't care about this and that they love the game anyway, and I probably would, but I have always disliked this kind of game mechanic.
However, I also don't like complaining without trying to solve the problem or help in any way, since that's just useless and annoying to those who read this. I have an idea for a solution that could be implemented: changing how respawning works.

The change I propose for how respawning works is to make it so an algorithm will effect where you respawn in one, or both, of two ways. The algorithm could respawn your character as close to where you died as possible so that you will see what you did again and will even be able to interact with it, this can also help with teams of players because fellow players will stay together for longer than an hour, and because more time can be spent talking without the worry that because you are typing instead of trying to gather resources you are wasting what little time you have.
The other way is to have the algorithm include a preference to respawning you with a woman who was one of your children, meaning that as long as your family is alive you can respawn with them. This helps in the same ways the first algorithm idea does.

This would make the game so much more appealing to me, and with this feature added to the sheer content in this game and how awesome the concept is the game would be perfect in my opinion.

This is not meant to be a criticism of the game as I do not expect my opinion to be popular, and the game's point is for the largest mass of people to enjoy it the most. If you, Mr. Rohrer, decide that implementing my idea would make your game less enjoyable than it was before or for less people than it was before then I suggest you ignore my idea.

#2 2018-03-09 10:04:12

Tanelorn

Re: (suggestion) a change to respawns

To me, the unique selling point of the game seems to be about being a small part of a larger whole...  using what previous generations made for you, so that you can take the next step to leave something behind for the next generation.  If the algorithm was set up so that you could easily get back to where you left off, there might be too much permanence, and it would become more like other survival games (e.g., Don't Starve).

You might spend most of your life hunting and gathering to sustain yourself, with not much left to show for it at the end.  But as long as you craft one new item during your lifetime, or taught a new player a new game mechanic, then you will have made a small step towards a higher civilisation.  Lots of these small increments over many lifetimes lead to big changes.  Don't forget we are still in the 'hunter gatherer' stage, where people lived hand-to-mouth, and innovations were extremely slow and rare.

#3 2018-03-09 10:11:04

InSpace

One hour one life but not actually one hour one life more like 2 hours 2 lifes and so forth™

#4 2018-03-09 11:09:20

Potjeh

I wouldn't say it's easy, but it's totally doable to keep playing in the same place.
1) Make a clan
2) Have all y'all in voice chat
3) Spam rebirthing and running into woods to die until you spawn in your clan
4) Clan discards any babies that aren't clan members to save room for members
Not only would this let you group, but would make your group a lot more efficient thanks to everyone knowing everyone and having means of communication vastly superior to in-game ones.

#5 2018-03-09 11:23:55

Turnspender

I like the way it is and don't want any pre-birth advantages. Just my opinion.

#6 2018-03-09 11:27:19

Twinsen

Similar topic is covered in another post here... Since Jason shared his thought there, so the point is you need to convince the sole developer; not the rest of us, honestly.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=138

#7 2018-03-11 06:04:43

Fear

This is directed at Twinsen:

I went to the link you sent me and it appears to be about spawning under friends specifically. Jason Rohrer's argument against it is the logistical issues of friends spawning together, however this issue is not found in my suggestion, as they are simply not connected.
Because of this, the link was to a suggestion that wasn't connected, and to issues that weren't connected to my post.

#8 2018-03-11 06:31:49

DeadEye

The tech tree is so limited currently that if you were able to respawn close to where you died the game would almost have no purpose. You'd respawn, reach the end of the tech tree and all that would matter is farm upkeep. This was already proven with the 22 generation people where I'm pretty sure I read they just constantly respawned to try to get back to their civ. The only thing I wish is if I could find out how long my family lasted after I was gone. Feels empty starting all over again never knowing what they managed to accomplish.

You could always make a private server if you just wanted to play with a 'clan' and have fun.

Board footer