One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-11 01:25:37

OminousBladeBlank

Curses OP - A PRISON PROPOSAL

Gotta say, I love curses.
Nothing like seeing that black bubble on your child, promptly naming them something dumb, laying down a quick curse on their poor soul, and letting them rot.

Doing this got me thinking - these griefers hardly stand a chance! Imagine having that curse mark and trying to live past the infant stage without saying 'f' and almost undoubtedly being left to starve. The only way I can see living a long life as a cursed is by being spawned as an eve.

Here's a solution I wanted to toss out to you crazy lifers - there is now such an interesting situation for prisons to become a thing. These people need to live off their curse somehow - one hour per tick is quite the punishment, but it must be unbearable to live in a constant loop of birth and immediate abandonment.

Sure, griefers deserve it - I hate them - but couldn't it be so cool to create an extremely classist social system off of this most recent update? If a baby is marked with the curse in a city advanced enough to do as I propose, you could lock them up and mock them their whole life - what a fun way to (hopefully) rehab griefers trying to live off their curse while also showing new players that griefing has serious consequences!

In an unused building made by some sad builder, one could create a cell with an airlock of sorts.

The farthest back would be where the prisoner is kept, with a locked door between that cell and a second chamber where food would be delivered, with a locked door between that and the rest of the building.

|_______________________|________________________|

A guard would open the chamber door, close it, open the cell door, deliver food, close the cell door, reopen the chamber door and leave. There could be a row of these in any moderately sized building, and one cell-chamber unit could occupy as little as a 3x5 space (that'd be a one tile cell and a one tile chamber for those counting)

We got locks and keys for more reasons than just to accidentally doom entire civs or, at the very least, render entire buildings useless. Might as well have some fun with the new lower class.

Last edited by OminousBladeBlank (2018-07-12 16:27:10)

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#2 2018-07-11 01:32:44

sc0rp

Re: Curses OP - A PRISON PROPOSAL

That's great idea, but maybe for the future.  Currently they are so rare, that they are treated like celebrities.  The whole village tries to keep them alive, giving stuff for free, even knifes wink

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2721

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-07-11 01:35:03)

#3 2018-07-11 01:36:43

OminousBladeBlank

sc0rp wrote:

That's great idea, but maybe for the future.  Currently they are so rare, that they are treated like celebrities.  The whole village tries to keep them alive, giving stuff for free, even knifes wink

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2721

I disagree. I've had three babies today that were cursed, and I just let them starve. I have yet to run into this curse glorification phenomenon - interesting.

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#4 2018-07-11 01:44:24

sc0rp

I think that making prison cell as an alternative to Eve's run is really creative.  After all they don't have much choice.  They cannot just suicide to be born in better place anyway wink

#5 2018-07-11 01:47:08

OminousBladeBlank

sc0rp wrote:

I think that making prison cell as an alternative to Eve's run is really creative.  After all they don't have much choice.  They cannot just suicide to be born in better place anyway wink

That's my thinking. Of course, a cursed baby could easily refuse to enter the cell - but what better alternative is their really? If you're griefing, you're probably a shit Eve...

#6 2018-07-11 01:50:13

YAHG

I think it is dumb you can curse people who can't pick up things yet.

You could name people who are cursed like you gonna let them live and then have the whole village curse em...

Would you keep playing if you had 20 hours irl time to pay off?

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#7 2018-07-11 01:52:57

OminousBladeBlank

YAHG wrote:

You could name people who are cursed like you gonna let them live and then have the whole village curse em...

Yes, it sucks, but there needs to be some way of determining who're going to be the slaves. I wouldn't grief to rack it up in the first place.

#8 2018-07-11 01:56:33

YAHG

The whole village are slaves already.

People just take anything you make.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#9 2018-07-11 01:57:48

OminousBladeBlank

At least most can choose what to make to be taken. A slave gets both no choice and no compensation, not just no compensation.

#10 2018-07-11 01:58:52

sc0rp

YAHG wrote:

I think you cannot curse already marked person.  At least the plan was to make it impossible, to prevent spiral down into endless curse:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 960#p21960

jasonrohrer wrote:

4. Cursing an already-marked person has no effect (token not spent).

#11 2018-07-11 02:01:57

OminousBladeBlank

sc0rp wrote:
YAHG wrote:

I think you cannot curse already marked person.  At least the plan was to make it impossible, to prevent spiral down into endless curse:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 960#p21960

jasonrohrer wrote:

4. Cursing an already-marked person has no effect (token not spent).

GOOD TO KNOW. So there's a max of ten which means you can only be marked for an hour at a time? Now that seems a bit underpowered.

#12 2018-07-11 02:06:57

ChaosDawg

What I like about the idea of a prison - is it's probably something you can implement with the basics as it exists. Which means it's something which villages can choose to do - or not. This game doesn't just have to reflect how our society 'works,' but it is interesting that we either reach the same conclusions as rl, or perhaps lack imagination for how to deal with problems in other ways?

I guess the baby would be taken straight to prison because you cannot man-handle and adult (can you?), although I suppose you could use physical force like a knife or bow and arrow to get them to enter as an adult. But then, would they not just suicide and start again?

I have been lenient towards cursed babies. I had two yesterday, I flat out asked the first one if they were going to behave, had they learn't their lesson. They said yes, but after nursing them to be able to feed themselves they wandered off. Perhaps to give grief to someone other than their Mum, I don't know. Sorry if they did, but people deserve a second chance.

#13 2018-07-11 02:07:31

sc0rp

OminousBladeBlank wrote:

GOOD TO KNOW. So there's a max of ten which means you can only be marked for an hour at a time? Now that seems a bit underpowered.

Nope, that's for the next life.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Assuming that marked babies are usually killed, clearing a curse will usually involve playing as Eve for an hour.  But it will depend on how badly you are cursed.  If you really make an entire village mad at you, you might get 15 points in one life, meaning you have to live 5 hours before it wears off.

Furthermore, once it finally wears off, you are back to being unmarked, but you still have 9 points.  That means that going back to griefing, and angering 10 people, will push you up to 19 points, requiring 9 hours of play to clear.

BTW. How do you change topic title?  I've tried once to fix typo, but couldn't find it.

#14 2018-07-11 02:11:26

OminousBladeBlank

I'd say the only thing this idea has in common with a prison is not letting them leave, and the name.

But it's more like someone being born, everyone immediately knowing god hates them, and locking them in a sad room to be made fun of. Other than locking someone up, how can you be sure they won't grief? The only difference is now we know who is prone to pissing off the world. It's at least a bit more creative than murdering them. I'd love other suggestions too.

#15 2018-07-11 02:12:31

OminousBladeBlank

sc0rp wrote:
OminousBladeBlank wrote:

Nope, that's for the next life.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Assuming that marked babies are usually killed, clearing a curse will usually involve playing as Eve for an hour.  But it will depend on how badly you are cursed.  If you really make an entire village mad at you, you might get 15 points in one life, meaning you have to live 5 hours before it wears off.

Furthermore, once it finally wears off, you are back to being unmarked, but you still have 9 points.  That means that going back to griefing, and angering 10 people, will push you up to 19 points, requiring 9 hours of play to clear.

BTW. How do you change topic title?  I've tried once to fix typo, but couldn't find it.

I just edited the post and it let me change the topic.

#16 2018-07-11 02:15:16

sc0rp

ChaosDawg wrote:

I have been lenient towards cursed babies. I had two yesterday,

Damn.  I've be fighting for karma system for month and a half and I still didn't have my cursed baby.  Life's not fair! neutral

#17 2018-07-11 02:16:16

sc0rp

OminousBladeBlank wrote:

I just edited the post and it let me change the topic.

Thanks!  Good to know.

#18 2018-07-11 02:16:38

OminousBladeBlank

sc0rp wrote:
ChaosDawg wrote:

I have been lenient towards cursed babies. I had two yesterday,

Damn.  I've be fighting for karma system for month and a half and I still didn't have my cursed baby.  Life's not fair! neutral

Hah! I had three in one life!

#19 2018-07-11 02:31:56

Neo

Interesting idea but wouldn't this ultimately be a waste. You're essentially letting griefers live off there curses while not needing to work and having to feed them.

Would be simpler just let them die as intended.

Last edited by Neo (2018-07-11 02:38:42)

#20 2018-07-11 02:39:51

OminousBladeBlank

Neo wrote:

Interesting idea but wouldn't this ultimately be a waste.

I dunno - maybe right now there aren't any real reasons to do it other than that I want to. Is it a waste to put griefers to some sort of use? The most efficient way to play the game isn't necessarily the right way, or the most fun.

#21 2018-07-11 02:47:53

OminousBladeBlank

Neo wrote:

Interesting idea but wouldn't this ultimately be a waste. You're essentially letting griefers live off there curses while not needing to work and having to feed them.

Would be simpler just let them die as intended.

Indeed it would be simpler. But imagine you're a player who made an actual mistake - like killing the wrong person, or you got blamed for something someone with the same skin did, or you're a reformed griefer and you want to live off the curse. I don't think it's letting someone off that easily - especially where the alternative just leads them to being spam abandoned until they hate the game and don't play. being locked up for 45 minutes at a time until you are redeemed seems like enough to make a griefer reconsider. Also, having a place where the marked are accepted could be beneficial to the PLAYER, allowing them to be bored brainless while also knowing that this is probably the best they can do if they are marked.

#22 2018-07-11 03:20:38

forestglade

I still think it maxes at 10, because I couldn't curse someone who was already cursed. However, it was just one experiment on Server 12, so someone can try it again to confirm.

#23 2018-07-11 03:50:29

OminousBladeBlank

forestglade wrote:

I still think it maxes at 10, because I couldn't curse someone who was already cursed. However, it was just one experiment on Server 12, so someone can try it again to confirm.

This is how it goes - someone is marked in THEIR NEXT LIFE if they surpass 10 during a life. So once you pass 10, you are marked until you have fewer than 10 curses, starting the next time you live. Once marked, you cannot be cursed again until you are below 10 curses. this system does allow for one to be brought well above 10, provided they acquire them before they become marked.

John has 0 curses.

John is cursed 18 times in life A.

John is marked in life B, not in life A.

John will be unmarked in about 8 hours of gameplay.

John cannot be cursed again until he is unmarked next - in about 8 hours.

Life Y - John has 8 curses and is therefore no longer marked. John can once again be cursed.

John is cursed 3 times in life Y - he now has 11 curses but is not marked yet.

John is marked in life Z, not in life Y and will be unmarked in about an hour of gameplay.

#24 2018-07-11 09:18:22

sc0rp

Neo wrote:

There are plenty of wasteful things that people still do.  Dyed clothes?  Roses?  Stew?

J/K Stew is crucial. smile

But maybe if we add some forced labor...  Hmm...  We just cannot overdo it - they still have a choice of being Eve.

#25 2018-07-11 22:53:55

OminousBladeBlank

sc0rp wrote:
Neo wrote:

There are plenty of wasteful things that people still do.  Dyed clothes?  Roses?  Stew?

J/K Stew is crucial. smile

But maybe if we add some forced labor...  Hmm...  We just cannot overdo it - they still have a choice of being Eve.

I can't think of anything you could have someone do while confined to a single building other than perhaps smith. but that seems like a terrible idea. Perhaps baking?

Board footer