One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-10 06:14:09

Portager

How often does your wild eve mother nurse you to adulthood?

I ask this, because not one time has my feral eve mother managed to save me. Most of them abandon me, and some pick me up and run until they die of starvation. I would offer to help them, but it is difficult to relay messages as a baby.

I did have one eve nurse me until childhood and told me to run south to her supposed village to help her family out, but there was no village (just a massive Savannah biome)...I think she just didn't want to care for me anymore.

The only time I actually manage to survive is if I am born into a camp with multiple people, or if I spawn as a wild eve.

Have any of you actually managed to survive as a baby born to a wild eve mother?

#2 2018-03-10 06:21:38

Antarys

Re: How often does your wild eve mother nurse you to adulthood?

I always try to save my first baby when I'm a Eve, two is too difficult when I'm still running around. I also have been lucky soo far with the eve I ended up with as a baby.

#3 2018-03-10 06:27:28

ameliewilde

I do try to help out each baby of mine as wild Eve, but in all honesty I don't manage that well each time...

The game tends to put you next to an existing camp, in which case I tell the baby that we will try to work that camp. In the mean time I have to stay by a bush and wait until the baby grows. I find thats the only way baby would survive as a wild Eve.

New players will learn this after a while, if they care. But it is very hard right now if Eve doesn't now how to scan the map and keep moving in one direction until they find an abundant place with many berry bushes to rear the baby into childhood.

To answer your question, I never counted but I think you start eating after the age of 4, so 4 minutes? You maybe need to breastfeed twice a minute.

#4 2018-03-10 06:28:24

Twinsen

It's all depend on luck, frankly. No matter how "good" you are playing, if Eve is stuck around rock or swarm terrain for too long to obtain a sharp rock and a basket, it's GG.

Sure, some people manage to survive by eating those wild carrots and to make things worst, not picking those seeds beforehand, resulting the end of the 4th+ generation. But some of us really prefer a sustainable approach instead.

I wish I can find a stat on how many times I died as Eve and as a baby.

#5 2018-03-10 07:18:01

DeadEye

I have a fair grasp of the game but I still abandon the first baby as an Eve. You really need those first few years to get a small plot going to guarantee the success of the future generation. Taking time away nursing a baby can be a huge time sink unless you have an absolutely perfect starting location.

The food consumption of having to pick up a baby after doing even the most minor task will drain you too fast to be worth it.

Honestly, it would be better if he changed it so you didn't get a baby until a few years after you spawn as an Eve.

Last edited by DeadEye (2018-03-10 07:19:36)

#6 2018-03-10 07:25:07

Baker

For me, it's virtually never. Hell if I'm in a village I probably won't make it adulthood.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#7 2018-03-10 08:43:57

Gitmo

I save most of mine, only been playing three days and not trying to brag. Seems dependent on how quickly you can get a fire going. The biggest killer of my children is wandering away from me / seeming to outright forget to eat when they get old enough. While on the move I do tend to leave behind child two. My best eve play through was ten kids losing number three, six and seven. Having given the rest basic tasks close to base we did well and I aged out as Grandma with a Child having had children (from scratch not premade settlement, very proud, much pride child). Since most reviews don't seem to align I'll say, I run until I see several bushes two maples and Milk thistle (most important, everything else is usually abundant in land that seems to not have been disturbed recently) I then rush build a fire, usually with my child watching in what I can only assume is wonder and disbelief. Extremely helpful in conserving energy. I watched the gamemaker on a youtube vid ( listened while playing rather) he was fairly adamant about keeping ourselves warm to save calories. The choke point for me is setting up carrots before the berries run out. Have your children carry baskets and keep them filled with berries while they work away from base, their food bar is just too small.  I hope I helped someone.

*Edit* I freaking Love this Game

Last edited by Gitmo (2018-03-10 08:44:27)

#8 2018-03-10 11:40:05

bread_lord

I will always pick up and run with the first child that spawns with me as a wild eve.  This does usually involve forgoing the production of a sharp stone and basket, but with the exception of extremely unfavourable starts (e.g. poor choice of initial direction resulting in a much-delayed discovery of a berry biome that has been recently foraged) our survival is almost guaranteed once we find grasslands.  It is actually much harder once the child matures as the food requirements effectively double -- the time pressure to produce carrots is intense.  If the child is experienced and our circumstances are good, the pressure then branches to needing clothing ASAP as well as needing to ensuring a large enough farm for more children.

Sometimes the rushing involved is intense enough that I am unable to find time to teach a child that knows little, but I try to squeeze in at least the main environmental rules and some basic tasks.  After the carrots start maturing there is slightly more time for teaching or answering questions.

Discord: weasel_bread#2656

#9 2018-03-10 13:22:51

lesslucid

I'm not a perfect mother, but I do try to raise every child that is born to me until they can eat. It's what I'd want for myself, so I try to do it for others, too. After that, they're on their own. Only exception is two children at once; you just can't sustain that on wild food alone.   

Born as a baby to someone else? I'd say 30% of the time they raise me until I can eat. It's pretty frustrating, but I do understand there's a lot of new players coming in at the moment and they mostly just don't understand how to raise children efficiently, so they tend to give up on it. 

Possible suggestion: IRL, breastfeeding commonly acts as a contraceptive. If it did the same in the game, it might reduce the number of unsustainable babies being born?

#10 2018-03-10 14:47:13

Left4twenty

As an eve I can say I try to raise a5 least 3/4 babies.  That 1/4 is when I'm on the berry scramble and already have a baby

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#11 2018-03-10 14:51:26

ned

Fate has dealt me a cruel hand. When I've lived, my mother usually dies and I'm a male.

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#12 2018-03-10 15:27:51

Doctor Flintrock

I noticed with the new influx of players—and I suppose with server population cap having been lowered—that Eves seem to be having more babies, and that a lot of these Eves are either experienced players who have gotten over certain aspects of the game and view baby-players as an annoying hurdles after one too many dozens of failed lives, or worst of all, new players who enjoyed the game in the third person through Youtube videos, and not only does this make them less willing to enjoy the cooperative and generations-spanning magic of the game, because it's been somewhat ruined for them, but they also have no actual experience dealing with the game stuff, so they are in fact rude and bumbling Eves.

So the Eves do feel different alright.

#13 2018-03-10 17:34:38

Matok

ned wrote:

Fate has dealt me a cruel hand. When I've lived, my mother usually dies and I'm a male.

This is how most my games have gone lately as well.

#14 2018-03-10 18:04:43

Auner

Doctor Flintrock wrote:

or worst of all, new players who enjoyed the game in the third person through Youtube videos, and not only does this make them less willing to enjoy the cooperative and generations-spanning magic of the game, because it's been somewhat ruined for them, but they also have no actual experience dealing with the game stuff, so they are in fact rude and bumbling Eves.

Lol you called it! If you want to help the situation- for the love of god make a you-tube video with some basic 101 on how to not destroy what you are born into. I lurked youtube to try and not be rude to villages I am born into-- but after coming here I found youtube is not a good resource.

You'd prolly get a good hunk of veiws if you did it.

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#15 2018-03-10 22:37:59

Portager

I survived as a boy with my first feral eve mother, I helped her setup a camp and things were looking up for us.

Unfortunately, all of my sisters and brothers died randomly and left me stranded. I built the camp into a decent farm for future eves who might stumble through, I wish that I had been able to pass it to someone in my lifetime.

Board footer