One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-10 12:41:42

DaZZZ

Please remove PVP

I had a great village going until some random guy stabbed someone.  This is BS this game is hard enough without this.

#2 2018-03-10 12:43:22

Twinsen

Re: Please remove PVP

This isn't BS... this is what it should be in One Hour One Life; however, if this is what just happened in the Chillout server that we are trying to teach new players and look at new stuff, whoever did it is just sad.

Last edited by Twinsen (2018-03-10 12:43:40)

#3 2018-03-10 14:37:33

Bayo

It should at least be nerved.
Hunger and animal deaths can be seen and you can at least try to avoid them.
A human sneaking up on you while your busy farming or st. is just an insta death without any warning or way to avoid it.
I read that some villages have guards for that kind of behavior, but i have never lived in such an organised utopia.

#4 2018-03-10 14:47:22

ned

If someone is holding a loaded bow or a knife, that's probably a sign that they want to use it. They have to be close to you to kill you, so keep your distance.

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#5 2018-03-10 16:53:05

Alveus

Bayo wrote:

A human sneaking up on you while your busy farming or st. is just an insta death without any warning or way to avoid it.
I read that some villages have guards for that kind of behavior, but i have never lived in such an organised utopia.

This reminds me of an idea I had last night. I think weapons should have some sort of animation. The reason  knives are crazy OP is because it's INSTANT. There needs to be a walk up-knife stab animation you have time to avoid. I'll add it to my suggestions list.

#6 2018-03-10 20:29:33

Aiven

We got griefed pretty bad on Norggs server. The same guy came around and killed everyone many times. I got killed like 4 times. It is impossible to defend against, because it's instant and they will respawn when you kill them as a new body. No matter how many times you kill them, they will come back in a new body, as their victims. Hence the griefing never stops.

To combat this I suggest a game log and the possibility to voteban players from the servers.

#7 2018-03-10 20:41:44

sMartins

Pvp is also fighting for resources, if you remove killing people how do you deal with people stealing all your resources .... nah, bad idea, killing people is a necessity, cause it balance things ... in this game pvp is more about taking resources than killing people.

Last edited by sMartins (2018-03-10 20:43:28)

#8 2018-03-10 21:45:01

Portager

Alveus wrote:
Bayo wrote:

This reminds me of an idea I had last night. I think weapons should have some sort of animation. The reason  knives are crazy OP is because it's INSTANT. There needs to be a walk up-knife stab animation you have time to avoid. I'll add it to my suggestions list.

Indeed, if anything it should take multiple hits to kill...the first couple hits can take a few health bars, and the third could be fatal.

#9 2018-03-10 22:59:24

hello123

how do u start playing the game ???

#10 2018-03-11 01:55:58

Twinsen

sMartins wrote:

Pvp is also fighting for resources, if you remove killing people how do you deal with people stealing all your resources .... nah, bad idea, killing people is a necessity, cause it balance things ... in this game pvp is more about taking resources than killing people.

That's my point about public server.

However, Norggs' Chillout server is meant to teach new players about the game mechanic instead; Jason created server-side murder setting available because he of course foresee people hosting their own private server just to do a particular things, while leaving his public servers open to PvP because that's his philosophy about competing limited resources.

It's just the OP doesn't quite understand Jason's philosophy about competing limited resources, while keeping his game license free so server owners can create interesting things of their own.

#11 2018-03-11 02:01:08

Twinsen

hello123 wrote:

how do u start playing the game ???

Can you be a bit more specific?

1. Do you have problem accessing server, e.g. "Waiting to be born" takes forever or "Server is full" in login screen?

2. Do you have problem finding your password or understanding your login information should be your registered email?

3. Do you have problem installing the game? I have seen forum Mac users having trouble installing the game but it seems a solution was provided.

4. Do you have trouble finding the installation files or are you sure that you have downloaded the correct installation files?

#12 2018-03-11 02:15:40

Twinsen

Twinsen wrote:
sMartins wrote:

That's my point about public server.

However, Norggs' Chillout server is meant to teach new players about the game mechanic instead; Jason created server-side murder setting available because he of course foresee people hosting their own private server just to do a particular things, while leaving his public servers open to PvP because that's his philosophy about competing limited resources.

It's just the OP doesn't quite understand Jason's philosophy about competing limited resources, while keeping his game license free so server owners can create interesting things of their own.

Of course, the interesting part is that those murders are technically trolls and not really competing for resources.

#13 2018-03-11 04:47:33

Phate

There is a troll problem that is for sure.

I don't understand why they just kill players?

Why not empty all the pounds?

Why not kill the non-family rabbits?

Why not pick the milkweed early?

Tons of other things to ruin the game that last much longer than just killing a rando.

With people like this it makes you start to not care about the next generation that much, so
might as well be selfish cause you are probably going to have a troll show up and ruin everything anyways.

If the goal is to advance society, these people are there to cause the opposite, so why even try?

#14 2018-03-11 05:21:44

powa

I agree, PVP should be made much harder or eliminated.

Right now it is very difficult to protect yourself against other people.  It's a who-clicks-first.  But with all the lag, that's pretty much a random outcome.  Besides, carrying a weapon around for self defense is a huge burden that is surely not worth your only free hand.  If you are unlucky enough to encounter someone who wants to kill you, they almost certainly will.

With players gaining more experience, the number of competent people who want to kill for a cheap laugh is growing.  Knives and bows and arrows are getting easier to get as well.  Unfortunately they are not accessible enough for otherwise busy players to use them quickly in self defense.

Nothing takes you out of the game like a death so random and malicious.  Much of the charm of this game is the community spirit -- knowing we will die if we don't stick together.  To enable trolling so easily puts a huge strain on that spirit.  I fear people will abandon the game in recognition that trolling is too easy and that the cost is just not worth it.

While PVP here is a good idea in principle, the current implementation casts a looming shadow over the success of the project.

#15 2018-03-11 13:24:20

Dogamai

One way to handle to greifers, would be to have the system spawn them in the middle of no where for a few days/weeks (real time). So they can cool off, and join society when they are more mature smile

#16 2018-03-11 15:07:11

llap

but unfortunately it is the mirror of the real life .. so we all have to deal with that (the ideots, the greifers, the murderer, the milkweeddestroyers, etc. ...).

it is realistic that way and the experiment about how a civilization grows is perfect.

llap Olli

llap Olli

#17 2018-03-12 07:07:27

Aiven

llap wrote:

but unfortunately it is the mirror of the real life .. so we all have to deal with that (the ideots, the greifers, the murderer, the milkweeddestroyers, etc. ...).

it is realistic that way and the experiment about how a civilization grows is perfect.

llap Olli

In real life death is permanent, so execution works. In civilized societies you put people in jails. In the game right now you can go on killing sprees, then respawn and do it again.

#18 2018-03-12 08:39:19

Laddy

Aiven wrote:
llap wrote:

llap Olli

In real life death is permanent, so execution works. In civilized societies you put people in jails. In the game right now you can go on killing sprees, then respawn and do it again.

Hmm, if they die, they have to start again and get a knife, that's pretty hard.

#19 2018-03-12 09:04:21

Verinon

We need PVP because sometimes you need to kill off certain members of your tribe. And since there's no way to jail them for now, it'll have to do.

Board footer