One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-09 18:11:55

Laura

BAD Update

Jason, please!
Starving is so much faster i can´t belive it!
Two persons in a small town and i cant get a single water bowl right in time bc of starving.
I Play this for an hour now and starve until a couple of minutes (Born as a full grown up) because
starving is too fast!
Can´t handle newborn, can´t farm ...
This game is from a 10+ to a 2 with no fun anymore and really annoying - please Change it back!

#2 2018-03-09 18:22:55

asterlea

Re: BAD Update

He was just in the discord and is going to make some tweaks to the new farming system, he's also set the eating bonus back up, so food will fill you up more again.

#3 2018-03-09 21:19:18

Tanelorn

Obviously it's going to need tweaking as the game has just come out.  But I don't think farming carrots is the first food tier.  Playing solo, I managed to live off bunnies and berries.  Also, farming bunnies means you can make clothes, which gives you time to invest in other things (like farming).

#4 2018-03-09 22:09:52

tigerbgood

I support mechanisms to lead people away from massive carrot farming without having to also use other food sources or advancing to cooked food. But this update was really nuts. I've been playing for just a week now, but today it was really not fun to play at all. I'm really trying my best as a new player, reading the wiki and so on.

Today's update looks like you can now get 3 seeds from a seeding domestic carrot (I didn't experience it). Maybe it will help. But after the update, I have not seen a single well-developed place with a running farm yet again. Just continued starving over and over. Maybe just bad luck. Let's see.

#5 2018-03-09 23:07:17

Phate

The good news is due to mass starvation,
you will no longer see random trolls coming in destroying your flourishing community.
Mainly cause they starved to death, and you will also not flourish.

#6 2018-03-09 23:14:24

Antichthon

tigerbgood wrote:

I support mechanisms to lead people away from massive carrot farming without having to also use other food sources or advancing to cooked food. But this update was really nuts. I've been playing for just a week now, but today it was really not fun to play at all. I'm really trying my best as a new player, reading the wiki and so on.

Today's update looks like you can now get 3 seeds from a seeding domestic carrot (I didn't experience it). Maybe it will help. But after the update, I have not seen a single well-developed place with a running farm yet again. Just continued starving over and over. Maybe just bad luck. Let's see.

It's more important that we shake our reliance on Eves. even before the update the longest-living community was 22 generations at Farmer's Peak, and even that was just because a bunch of us dedicated ourselves to being reborn  in the village and keep up the farming. nerfing renewability means nothing if all you're doing is exploiting some other renewable to keep the game going. Eves are the biggest, not-in-the-spirit renewable we have.

#7 2018-03-09 23:46:06

KewlCrayon

I can survive fine and get fully clothed with forged tools before old age if I'm on my own. Soon as I have to raise other people it becomes more difficult.
I think primarily this is because I can move around my area from berry bush to berry bush while gathering supplies. With those berry bushes exhausted, you starve before you can get carrots going.

Also, I can stress this enough, get yourself clothed asap, even if its just the one loincloth. You lose hunger so much faster when naked.
Normally I'd get a basket going and fill it up while I run off to scavenge/trap, bringing 1-2 berries with me, and replenishing it as I go. I'll even leave food behind at the rabbit holes for my next trip. You gotta plan things out, map your area and know where theres food, leave things lying around to come back to.

#8 2018-03-10 00:10:47

evan.woods

Tanelorn wrote:

Obviously it's going to need tweaking as the game has just come out.  But I don't think farming carrots is the first food tier.  Playing solo, I managed to live off bunnies and berries.  Also, farming bunnies means you can make clothes, which gives you time to invest in other things (like farming).

Yeah, we managed to skip the hunting and gathering phase because of the endlessness of soil. This will force us to start over. That's fine.

#9 2018-03-10 00:12:15

evan.woods

KewlCrayon wrote:

Normally I'd get a basket going and fill it up while I run off to scavenge/trap, bringing 1-2 berries with me, and replenishing it as I go. I'll even leave food behind at the rabbit holes for my next trip. You gotta plan things out, map your area and know where theres food, leave things lying around to come back to.

I can't stress this enough; in my style of play as an Eve, a basket is a necessity. It makes it so I don't have to run back and forth with just a single item. And the virtues of a backpack ... well, don't get me started!

#10 2018-03-10 00:16:05

Phate

After playing a full life in the new patch now, it seems farming is a bad idea.

UNLESS you have someone grab seeds so you don't seed up your carrots, so the soil is renewable again, farming is mostly pointless.

Otherwise you are depleting the area of soil, and might as well be cutting the milk weed while its early, cause it has that same effect.

I think I'm taking a break from the game for a while until its re-balanced, I don't like having to starve all my babies and explain to them why I have to do it.
Mostly what drew me to the game was being nice and teaching others, but now there is no time to do that, just starvation for most, and slim survival for the rest.
And if that was the goal, well done I guess.  Would be nice to have a flourishing food supply so we can play with the new items in the game, but good luck finding time to do that now.

#11 2018-03-10 06:09:22

ameliewilde

He just said he reversed the setting for how fast you get hungry, back to normal (eating bonus back to 3). I will try it again today to see how new changes to farming work without increased hunger

#12 2018-03-10 09:06:51

Phate

ameliewilde wrote:

He just said he reversed the setting for how fast you get hungry, back to normal (eating bonus back to 3). I will try it again today to see how new changes to farming work without increased hunger

Although that did help, it does nothing to deal with finite amounts of soil on the map.  You do not want to build a city,
you need to roam around, the longer you sit in one spot, the less soil there will be for the next generation.
And you really need to only keep like one or two kids and let the rest die, otherwise the drain on food negates the
ability to craft advancements and hopefully you can get a trash pit up fast so you can get more soil going, cause
after its gone in a region, you are pretty much SOL on that town and have to move to another area to do it all over again.

#13 2018-03-10 09:29:51

Antarys

Phate wrote:
ameliewilde wrote:

Although that did help, it does nothing to deal with finite amounts of soil on the map.  You do not want to build a city,
you need to roam around, the longer you sit in one spot, the less soil there will be for the next generation.
And you really need to only keep like one or two kids and let the rest die, otherwise the drain on food negates the
ability to craft advancements and hopefully you can get a trash pit up fast so you can get more soil going, cause
after its gone in a region, you are pretty much SOL on that town and have to move to another area to do it all over again.

That is why you should make sure to always have compost on back up for any real village that manage to stay there for more than 5-6 generations.

#14 2018-03-10 10:08:25

Phate

Right, but making a shovel in time without having to starve half the new kids to death is sort of the issue.
It seems I was able to get a small village going, but it was impossible to have more than five people with half
making food, so that only one or two gets to craft.  Which is fine, but making the iron is you need in time is tricky.

#15 2018-03-10 18:07:30

ADScotland

Tanelorn wrote:

Playing solo, I managed to live off bunnies and berries.  Also, farming bunnies means you can make clothes, which gives you time to invest in other things (like farming).

Please can someone help me out with making a snare to get bunnies? I've not managed to find anyone willing to tell me in game. Can you get bunnies without a snare or is it fairly easy to make one?

Thanks

#16 2018-03-10 18:18:06

DeadEye

ADScotland wrote:
Tanelorn wrote:

Playing solo, I managed to live off bunnies and berries.  Also, farming bunnies means you can make clothes, which gives you time to invest in other things (like farming).

Please can someone help me out with making a snare to get bunnies? I've not managed to find anyone willing to tell me in game. Can you get bunnies without a snare or is it fairly easy to make one?

Thanks

It's very easy. You make a rope, then break down a straight branch to its lowest form (stakes) with a sharp rock and attach rope to that.

https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com/Snare

Board footer