One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#76 2018-07-06 19:19:29

sc0rp

Re: Implementation plan 3 for the curse system

Zihil wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

You've missed "run away" part.  Chasing somebody is barely doable up until you get hungry.  When you need to divert to get some food, there is no way to get back on track.  Heck, you sometimes lose sight of your mother, that does not want run away from you at all.

murderers run slow

We were talking about griefers.

#77 2018-07-06 19:26:08

sc0rp

Gederian wrote:

Also, why make the curse by name? Make an object you must craft and use on the person/grave.

Also, read the thread before posting.

#78 2018-07-06 19:44:43

forestglade

forestglade wrote:

You give birth, you name the child, and you let it starve in the wilderness.

Then you go and grief and that poor player takes all the curses.

Someone pointed out that we can just notice if someone starved their kid. But a player can easily go to the forest and give birth there, names their kid the same name, starve their kid and then come back to that city.

#79 2018-07-06 19:48:13

sc0rp

This is so exploitable at the moment, that I'd put it on hold until fixed.  Current version may make more harm than good.

#80 2018-07-06 20:24:53

Gederian

sc0rp wrote:
Gederian wrote:

Also, why make the curse by name? Make an object you must craft and use on the person/grave.

I don't have time to read four pages of little kids being snarky dicks to each other. The worst part of this game is all the assholes in the forums.

#81 2018-07-06 20:36:20

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, I guess it can't be the most recently-named person with that name, for the above reasons of griefer exploit with naming babies after themselves.

So it will be the person (dead or alive) who has had that name the longest.

This, I believe, is not griefable.... because a griefer never has control of their own name.  So they can't "copy" the name of an elder in the village.

Yes, a griefer can name all their babies after elders in the village, but there's no guarantee that any of those babies will be griefers.

The other option is to have the curse apply to everyone with that name, but I'm not going to do this yet.

Non-griefers:  Give your babies unique names in case one is a griefer, okay?

This system will be reworked a bunch, I imagine.

#82 2018-07-06 20:39:49

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Funny...

Looking at my code, I already implemented the "person who has had that name the longest" thing by accident.  New names are added to the end of the list, and when looking for someone to curse with a name, I start walking through the list from the top of the list (oldest names first).

#83 2018-07-06 20:43:23

TheRedBug

So if you see your mom with your name, you have the green flag to break everything. Got it.

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#84 2018-07-06 21:10:00

MidgetMaker

TheRedBug wrote:

So if you see your mom with your name, you have the green flag to break everything. Got it.

if your great-great-great-great-great-great grandkid has the same name and griefs, rip your karma.

#85 2018-07-06 21:23:01

sc0rp

Gederian wrote:
sc0rp wrote:
Gederian wrote:

I don't have time to read four pages of little kids being snarky dicks to each other. The worst part of this game is all the assholes in the forums.

You perfectly describing yourself: I don't wanna waste my time reading anything about topic I'm discussing, so I'll just waste time of 100 people by repeating something that has been discusses literally two posts before and mentioned at the start by Jason himself.

#86 2018-07-06 21:30:01

sc0rp

New griefing meta: name your kids after your ancestors.  You don't need to do anything else.  Some will do stupid shit and village founders will be cursed into oblivion.

#87 2018-07-06 21:35:35

Gederian

sc0rp wrote:
Gederian wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

You perfectly describing yourself: I don't wanna waste my time reading anything about topic I'm discussing, so I'll just waste time of 100 people by repeating something that has been discusses literally two posts before and mentioned at the start by Jason himself.

I obviously read Jason's post before posting and nothing was mentioned about crafting an object to curse vs saying their name. Did you even read my post before making your snarky comment about not reading other posts because I skimmed the thread and also see no mention of my suggestion.

Reading every word in a four page thread before posting is not mandatory, I guarantee you post without reading everything first.

Admit it, you just made a snarky reply because your 12 year old brain though it was funny and you lack impulse control at that age.

#88 2018-07-06 21:39:36

Ti

I've already been cursed as a baby and then abandoned purely because my mother wanted to "test the new update". Yeah...

#89 2018-07-06 21:48:17

HumanMindFly

instead of all this cursing business (which, honestly, seems silly and contrived) why not just give us a way to replant trees? wouldnt that solve alot of the worst griefing?

#90 2018-07-06 23:08:53

TheRedBug

Spend your entire life making a tree farm and someone with an axe chop them all down.
We are trying to fix the grief issue. Then we can add more stuff c:

But i agree with you, i wanna plant trees too <\3

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#91 2018-07-06 23:34:36

sc0rp

Gederian wrote:

I obviously read Jason's post before posting and nothing was mentioned about crafting an object to curse vs saying their name.

Sorry, not exactly that, but something with the same failure mode has been mentioned at the start of other thread about this topic:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 278#p21278
    jasonrohrer wrote:
    HOWEVER, right off the bat, there is a huge problem.  A griefer can simply avoid dying from murder, ever.  When the villagers pick up the pitchforks, the griefer can run away or simply disconnect-suicide.

Gederian wrote:

Did you even read my post before making your snarky comment about not reading other posts because I skimmed the thread and also see no mention of my suggestion.

You have not read even last 5 comments.  I literally has been discussing it just above your post. It started here:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 186#p22186
    Zihil wrote:
    item based curses / blessings
    -summonable items (cant be dropped, forces you to drop any item) that give curses / blessings (type /bless /curse for item that shoots curse/blessing),

Gederian wrote:

I guarantee you post without reading everything first.

If I don't have time to read the thread, I just don't post.

Gederian wrote:

Admit it, you just made a snarky reply because your 12 year old brain though it was funny and you lack impulse control at that age.

I could be your father wink

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-07-06 23:38:52)

#92 2018-07-06 23:51:11

sc0rp

HumanMindFly wrote:

instead of all this cursing business (which, honestly, seems silly and contrived) why not just give us a way to replant trees? wouldnt that solve alot of the worst griefing?

There are dozens of things like that.  And twice as many at Eve's/early camp - having griefer there is basically death sentence.  E.g.: make a bow, poke 2-3 bear caves, bring whole circus to camp, shoot fleeing people in the back.  What's your counter?

It doesn't matter if it happens once in a blue moon.  But there was nothing to protect from running into same griefer over and over and over again.  Killing just send him to other village, were you can be born soon too.

#93 2018-07-06 23:53:03

sc0rp

TheRedBug wrote:

Spend your entire life making a tree farm and someone with an axe chop them all down.

It may be good idea to make chopping usefull trees a multi step process, like with uprooting berry bushes.

#94 2018-07-07 01:34:04

kubassa
Banned

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... Called it.

I got huge ballz.

#95 2018-07-07 01:38:55

FounderOne

sc0rp wrote:
TheRedBug wrote:

It may be good idea to make chopping usefull trees a multi step process, like with uprooting berry bushes.

That would be great. So you would give the "usless" trees a purpose for planting them to get easier wood.

Also trees should have different grow timers and wood output.

Maybe the swamp trees could give more logs, the maple trees more fire wood and logs, but they would be harder to cut down.
Maybe tree X got a faster growing time, but less output. Tree x uses twice as much soil and or water in the growing process.

So in a big stable city you would plant the tree that takes more soil, water and growing time, but that has much more output.

In small villages you could go for the fast growing tree, that has much less output and takes slightly less resources.

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#96 2018-07-07 01:56:44

Gederian

sc0rp,

As I said, I skimmed the conversation and saw what was being discussed. I was voting that it should be an object in my original post. Your arguments simply prove I was contributing to the recent conversation.

Now I see why you're being a dick, because you replied once disagreeing and think that's the end of it, just like a 12 year old! If a griefer wants to run behind a tree and die, that's fucking awesome! I can stop chasing you with a voodoo doll and get back to the fun.

Lastly, I didn't say you are 12, I said you have the brain of a twelve year old. I wouldn't expect a 12 year old to catch that subtly either.

#97 2018-07-07 02:17:38

YAHG

jasonrohrer wrote:

the person who received that name last is cursed.

So basically we are totally fucked if our Mom names us after herself and pisses off as many peeps as she can..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#98 2018-07-07 02:19:00

YAHG

YAHG wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

So basically we are totally fucked if our Mom names us after herself and pisses off as many peeps as she can..

Shut up idiot, he already changed his mind.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#99 2018-07-07 10:47:26

Anshin

YAHG wrote:
YAHG wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Shut up idiot, he already changed his mind.

LOL smile

#100 2018-07-07 14:12:33

sc0rp

Gederian wrote:

As I said, I skimmed the conversation and saw what was being discussed. I was voting that it should be an object in my original post.

And previously you wrote: "because I skimmed the thread and also see no mention of my suggestion."

Gederian wrote:

Your arguments simply prove I was contributing to the recent conversation.

How are you contributing to discussion without any arguments?

Gederian wrote:

Now I see why you're being a dick, because you replied once disagreeing and think that's the end of it, just like a 12 year old!

Somebody namecalling people and complaining about others being rude.  Nice troll.

Gederian wrote:

If a griefer wants to run behind a tree and die, that's fucking awesome! I can stop chasing you with a voodoo doll and get back to the fun.

We also can kill griefers.  That was proven to be not enough.  The purpose of of curses is to stop playing cat and mouse with serial griefers across lives, not to get rid of them from single game.

Gederian wrote:

Lastly, I didn't say you are 12, I said you have the brain of a twelve year old. I wouldn't expect a 12 year old to catch that subtly either.

Gederian wrote: "and you lack impulse control at that age."

You're either stupid or a troll.  And I don't think you are stupid...  So I better stop feeding.

Board footer