One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-06 04:40:31

MidgetMaker

Steve Moon, I'm sorry. I needed to test mob mentality.

So, i was born into a town that was on the verge of famine.  I started gathering soil as a kid and noticed a guy, Steve Moon, chatting it up whenever i made it back to town.  I called him lazy, got more soil, told him to work and got more soil.  Eventually i called him a sponge and ran north instead of southeast towards the soil.  He followed and asked me to stop.  I did and he told me he was teaching someone how to smith.  This was true.

I gathered most of the things to make a bow and arrow but i died to a snek on the way back to camp.  That's what i get, right?

Next life, I'm born to the same town!  I bring some more soil, water some crops, the usual.  I see steve in the sheep pen.  I walk over and say "spng".  He stops and says "what", i say "jk" and we part ways. 

At this point i have enough food bars (and a backpack some old lady gave me) to go fetch my basket full of bow and arrow supplies.  I craft the bow and arrow and head to town.

There is ole steve, working hard in the sheep pen.  He doesn't even run from me--just keeps walking towards to pie station to get some food.  I shoot him and call him a sponge.  Nobody cares except the (now) old lady he taught smithing to.  She asked me, "why?",  "why did you kill him?", "he was helpful, he taught me to smith!".  I replied, "He was sponge".  She says, "Oh, yeah some lady said that", "I can see why you thought that".  I apologized for the 'mistake'.  She forgave me and said she understood why i mistook him for a sponge.

Then the queen rolls up and asks, "why?".  I just say, "he was sponge".  She says, "lol" and goes about her business.

Later on, i got the crown.  Nobody questioned anything...they just accepted what i said.  Most of the people that saw the murder didn't even ask questions.  I most likely could've convinced them to curse Steve for 'sponging' when he was a good guy all along.  That was what i was testing.  Had i been able to convince them to curse steve, he not only would've been murdered, but also 'blacklisted' in future lives.

Steve, I'm sorry.  I named my kids after you in honor of your sacrifice.

#2 2018-07-06 05:40:43

forestglade

Re: Steve Moon, I'm sorry. I needed to test mob mentality.

I think most people just can't be bothered either way. so if you had asked them to curse him, they would've just ignored you and gone on their way unless he personally hurts them.

But we will know in the next update!

#3 2018-07-06 05:41:40

MidgetMaker

forestglade wrote:

I think most people just can't be bothered either way. so if you had asked them to curse him, they would've just ignored you and gone on their way unless he personally hurts them.

But we will know in the next update!

Fair point!

#4 2018-07-06 06:06:45

Lum

Don't even try to apologize for your shitty behavior

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#5 2018-07-06 06:26:37

JonySky
Website

Killing someone in cold blood is part of the game ... even the mass murderers who destroy generations, you can understand (in all times and places of the world there have been murderers in series ... it's part of human nature)

The new system of cursing spoken by Jason is not designed to fight the murderers ... but the griefers and rude that go beyond the line of play and seek to hurt the people behind the character of the game

Even so, have you seen the Lord of the rings? when they have the opportunity to kill Smeagol ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrOqnZdvI6M

#6 2018-07-06 10:24:11

Neo

I find this quite interesting

#7 2018-07-06 11:33:07

TrustyWay

Curse is for murderers and griefers. Rude people joking are cool but not the totally serious ones.

Killing all boys isn't rude.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-07-06 11:33:21)

#8 2018-07-06 12:57:53

TheRedBug

Killing all boys isnr rude, it's a survival strategy.
I do not agree with this strategy at all, but it is still a strategy.

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#9 2018-07-06 15:28:10

MidgetMaker

Lum wrote:

it was an asshole thing to do, for sure.  i felt an apology was necessary.

#10 2018-07-06 15:35:49

TrustyWay

MidgetMaker wrote:
Lum wrote:

it was an asshole thing to do, for sure.  i felt an apology was necessary.

At least you feel remorse, I would have forgive you if I was the victim.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-07-06 15:36:07)

#11 2018-07-06 20:53:56

Ducky

I was Steve Moon and when you killed me I was just going to put a pig in the pen but because of you that town doesnt have a pig and I still dont understand why you killed me when I was helping and teaching but I accept your apology

#12 2018-07-06 21:12:30

Auner

TheRedBug wrote:

This mentality needs to stop. If you kill all the boys your gonna have a massive population boom in 20-40 min followed by farms getting hit hard. Honestly unless you are SORE for people and high on food, you really should not kill boys.  Depending on the town, killing all the boys might doom you.

MidgetMaker wrote:

Later on, i got the crown.  Nobody questioned anything...they just accepted what i said.  Most of the people that saw the murder didn't even ask questions.  I most likely could've convinced them to curse Steve for 'sponging' when he was a good guy all along.  That was what i was testing.  Had i been able to convince them to curse steve, he not only would've been murdered, but also 'blacklisted' in future lives.

Look-- a lack of action/conflict does not mean everyone agrees with you. I disagree with players all the time, and I don't speak up unless I physically see something myself. Not confronting a pker or someone with a weapon is my general position in the game.

In situations where I don't know what's going on-- I wouldn't curse someone- esp with just one curse for 2 lives. Why use up one on hear-say when i may need it in my next life cause I'm murdered myself.

While, yes herd mentality is an issue- but if with amount of incentive to keep a curse token, it's more likely someone would just kill the possible pk'er than to curse them.

But also I'm just truly curious to see what will happen when the update comes out. Will the rules in place keep players respecting curses more as a form of player-policing to make everyone's more experience better overall-- or are we gonna quickly devolve into a which hunt? I'm pretty excited for the ride, honestly.

Edit: Post thought- if it does become a witch hunt- youtube will love it.

Last edited by Auner (2018-07-06 21:15:13)

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#13 2018-07-06 21:14:34

MidgetMaker

Ducky wrote:

I was Steve Moon and when you killed me I was just going to put a pig in the pen but because of you that town doesnt have a pig and I still dont understand why you killed me when I was helping and teaching but I accept your apology

yeah, you were working hard.  i wanted to see if i could convince people that you were bad and i was good to show a flaw in the new karma thing.  i've never griefed before this and i still feel bad about it.  thanks for accepting my apology.  i won't be a dick anymore to try to prove a point.  have a good day man!

#14 2018-07-06 21:23:28

Ti

Lum wrote:

I understand why you might be wounded by being victimized by a social experiment... but wait, it's not you who was griefed!

Ducky wrote:

I was Steve Moon ... I accept your apology

Looks like trying to apologize was worth it after all.

There's room for learning in more than just the game. Apologizing, acknowledging your mistake, doing whatever you can to right the mistake, and then moving forward in life by being less shitty is the way. No one's perfect, mistakes were made. There's no backtrack button. However, there is a way to right this wrong.

If you respawn into the town, get a pig domesticated to finish Steve's untimely ended work.

#15 2018-07-06 21:23:41

MidgetMaker

Auner wrote:
TheRedBug wrote:

This mentality needs to stop. If you kill all the boys your gonna have a massive population boom in 20-40 min followed by farms getting hit hard. Honestly unless you are SORE for people and high on food, you really should not kill boys.  Depending on the town, killing all the boys might doom you.

MidgetMaker wrote:

Look-- a lack of action/conflict does not mean everyone agrees with you. I disagree with players all the time, and I don't speak up unless I physically see something myself. Not confronting a pker or someone with a weapon is my general position in the game.

In situations where I don't know what's going on-- I wouldn't curse someone- esp with just one curse for 2 lives. Why use up one on hear-say when i may need it in my next life cause I'm murdered myself.

While, yes herd mentality is an issue- but if with amount of incentive to keep a curse token, it's more likely someone would just kill the possible pk'er than to curse them.

But also I'm just truly curious to see what will happen when the update comes out. Will the rules in place keep players respecting curses more as a form of player-policing to make everyone's more experience better overall-- or are we gonna quickly devolve into a which hunt? I'm pretty excited for the ride, honestly.

Edit: Post thought- if it does become a witch hunt- youtube will love it.

yeah, i see what you are saying.  however the only way for the karma system to work is if people do gang up and all curse someone.  if only one person does it, there is no point.  i mean a griefer isn't going to walk into a big crowd of people and commit a "crime".  maybe only one person sees them run off with the hoe and hide it.  then they tell everyone else "john smith, stole the hoe and hid it".  john smith just says, "no i didn't".   what do you do?  if you don't curse the griefer then what good is a karma system?  if you pick the wrong person then it has failed and a good player is punished.

my test was dumb but i just hope you can see what point i was trying to make.

#16 2018-07-06 21:27:22

TrustyWay

You didn't really roved anything with your test indeed, but if you learn form your mistakes that is something.

Board footer