a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-05 12:38:32

Kinrany

Simplify childbirth rules

Changes to consider:
- spawn on any player, not just women
- become an adult instantly when given a name

Childbirth and childcare are supposed to be the most important mechanics in the game.  But would the game be really different if the changes above were implemented?  Or is the human-childbirth-and-childcare-related theme just flavor with no substance?

Edit: yes, both changes are intentionally ridiculous.  I'm not saying they should be implemented.

Last edited by Kinrany (2018-07-05 19:46:13)

#2 2018-07-05 17:29:21

TheRedBug

Re: Simplify childbirth rules

Eww no plz

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#3 2018-07-05 17:58:29

Lum

These are both ridiculous changes

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#4 2018-07-05 18:54:35

riskybusiness

I think these changes would take away from the experience of the game. Also, if you skipped straight to being an adult, it wouldn't really be One Hour One Life, would it? It would be '45 Minutes, Half A Life'.

#5 2018-07-05 18:58:08

TheRedBug

Kinrany deserves no stew today :l

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#6 2018-07-05 19:45:08

Kinrany

Yes, both changes are obviously ridiculous.  My point is that they're mostly thematic, they don't really change the core dynamics.  If these changes are ridiculous and at the same time they don't really change much, it means that something is already broken.

#7 2018-07-05 20:41:00

sc0rp

Kinrany wrote:

Yes, both changes are obviously ridiculous.  My point is that they're mostly thematic, they don't really change the core dynamics.  If these changes are ridiculous and at the same time they don't really change much, it means that something is already broken.

Nothing is broken.  They support immersion.

#8 2018-07-06 06:09:26

Lum

No, I meant they are ridiculous because they would totally change everything.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#9 2018-07-06 06:24:01

TheRedBug

Hey guys lets remove childnphood, and while we're at it, lets chsnge the view, 3rd perosn isnt my style, lets make it s first person game. Oh and finding a tock is too mainstream lets SPAWN with a rock, it'll be better. Oh and lets add guns to the game while we're at it. Oh and dying from old age is stupid. And since the game will last longer than an hour, lets change the name of the game too

Lets call it... Rust!

Lemme know what you think about it

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#10 2018-07-06 07:33:29

JonySky
Website

TheRedBug wrote:

Hey guys lets remove childnphood, and while we're at it, lets chsnge the view, 3rd perosn isnt my style, lets make it s first person game. Oh and finding a tock is too mainstream lets SPAWN with a rock, it'll be better. Oh and lets add guns to the game while we're at it. Oh and dying from old age is stupid. And since the game will last longer than an hour, lets change the name of the game too

Lets call it... Rust!

Lemme know what you think about it

No please!!! jajajajajajaj

The mechanics of childbirth is fine now ... perhaps when civilizations can advance to the future that Jason shows us in his presentation video, we can have in vitro fertilization ... or appear as robots! jajajajaj, (brainstorming !!)

#11 2018-07-06 10:56:43

Kinrany

Lum wrote:

How?

#12 2018-07-06 15:13:27

pennedgalaxy

Kinrany wrote:
Lum wrote:

How?

For one baby survival would be easier (at least at first), kids would not be kids anymore and mortality rate would be significantly slashed intially and boost population without there being any real work involved. Secondly if a baby instantly becomes an adult upon being named this gives griefers almost instantaneous ability to grief without people having even gotten a chance to observe them for a while and come to their own conclusions.

Also if a girl baby instantly becomes an adult that means she's also likely to instantly start spewing out babies, so whilst babies becoming adults makes things easier short term it also has the disasterous effect of too much population growth too soon meaning the whole settlement will likely starve pretty quickly because of baby booms.

Last edited by pennedgalaxy (2018-07-06 15:14:57)

You'll see me often as Eve Mcabee and Eve Laurent. Or at least I'll try to be! These days it's hard spawning in as Eve, I usually end up as a baby in some town instead!

#13 2018-07-06 15:37:35

TrustyWay

Kinrany wrote:
Lum wrote:

How?

Like that

Kinrany wrote:

Yes, both changes are obviously ridiculous.

:P

#14 2018-07-06 21:43:27

Kinrany

pennedgalaxy wrote:

For one baby survival would be easier (at least at first), kids would not be kids anymore and mortality rate would be significantly slashed intially and boost population without there being any real work involved. Secondly if a baby instantly becomes an adult upon being named this gives griefers almost instantaneous ability to grief without people having even gotten a chance to observe them for a while and come to their own conclusions.

Also if a girl baby instantly becomes an adult that means she's also likely to instantly start spewing out babies, so whilst babies becoming adults makes things easier short term it also has the disasterous effect of too much population growth too soon meaning the whole settlement will likely starve pretty quickly because of baby booms.

The game being generally easier is only a quantitative change that could be balanced away just by tweaking variables.

Griefers being able to grief instantly is the mother's fault.  Instant adulthood just makes the choice between aborting the baby and letting it live more explicit.  The mother doesn't have to name it right away.

Besides, babies not being able to act right away is not supposed to prevent griefing.  Doesn't it feel wrong that removing childhood is so unimportant by itself that enabling griefing is the worst that could happen?

#15 2018-07-06 21:48:47

Auner

Hey gais let's

1. Let's make it a first person shooter!
2. we should be born in outer space instead
3. Let's make the whole screen 4X4

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#16 2018-07-06 22:01:13

TheRedBug

Auner wrote:

Hey gais let's

1. Let's make it a first person shooter!
2. we should be born in outer space instead
3. Let's make the whole screen 4X4

Right? But a turned-based first person shooter/tower defence!!!

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#17 2018-07-06 22:14:15

TrustyWay

Kinrany wrote:
pennedgalaxy wrote:

The game being generally easier is only a quantitative change that could be balanced away just by tweaking variables.

Griefers being able to grief instantly is the mother's fault.  Instant adulthood just makes the choice between aborting the baby and letting it live more explicit.  The mother doesn't have to name it right away.

Besides, babies not being able to act right away is not supposed to prevent griefing.  Doesn't it feel wrong that removing childhood is so unimportant by itself that enabling griefing is the worst that could happen?

You know what you propose/suggest doesn't fit the game. Jason doesnt want it to be too easy.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-07-06 22:14:32)

Board footer