One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-07-05 19:14:54

Uncle Gus

Re: Implementation plan 3 for the curse system

The names are still really a limitation. How about "I CURSE YOU" ans then click on a player?

#27 2018-07-05 19:16:30

Bob the Blob

They are among us, watch them squirm!

I used to have an open mind but my brain kept falling out.

#28 2018-07-05 19:23:37

subria

YAHG wrote:
subria wrote:

Just think about a situation.
A murderer kill me. No one else see that. He take all my item. I curse him and he take 1 curse point. But he back to play game and i die. After two hours, 1 curse point disapear. You can see a murderer crime but have not to take any consequences. How is this fair?

Because he beat you, you were too weak to live.

If your think that, why we need curse system. Just let griefer do anything they want because they can.

sc0rp wrote:
subria wrote:

Just think about a situation.
A murderer kill me. No one else see that. He take all my item. I curse him and he take 1 curse point. But he back to play game and i die. After two hours, 1 curse point disapear. You can see a murderer crime but have not to take any consequences. How is this fair?

You have full minute to relay this information to townfolks.  If you're willingly going to middle of nowhere with someone having weapon in his backpack, then well... it may hurt you IRL too.

- Doctor, it hurts when I do it.
- Then just don't do it.

I never go to somewhere with someone have weapon. They bring weapon and kill me when i busy to build town. If I know they kill me, I will run. But if I use all time to run, how i can play this game?

We try to make a system to deal with the most troublesome, destructive. Why we can accept a backdoor for griefer use it?

Last edited by subria (2018-07-05 19:24:11)

Ownership is the solution for everything.

#29 2018-07-05 19:26:57

sc0rp

subria wrote:

I never go to somewhere with someone have weapon. They bring weapon and kill me when i busy to build town. If I know they kill me, I will run. But if I use all time to run, how i can play this game?

We try to make a system to deal with the most troublesome, destructive. Why we can accept a backdoor for griefer use it?

I don't consider it to be backdoor at all - it never happened to me.  What are you doing when you are more than 1 minute away from town and somebody just comes by and stabs you?

#30 2018-07-05 19:29:11

YAHG

Bob the Blob wrote:

Witchhunt Meta

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#31 2018-07-05 19:32:46

TheRedBug

YAHG wrote:
Bob the Blob wrote:

Witchhunt Meta

READY THE PITCHFORKS!!!

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#32 2018-07-05 19:34:36

YAHG

TheRedBug wrote:
YAHG wrote:
Bob the Blob wrote:

Witchhunt Meta

READY THE PITCHFORKS!!!

We gonna get black text after we murder them all though.
The only reason they don't feed us is cause they racists!

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#33 2018-07-05 19:39:29

sc0rp

YAHG wrote:
TheRedBug wrote:
YAHG wrote:

Witchhunt Meta

READY THE PITCHFORKS!!!

We gonna get black text after we murder them all though.
The only reason they don't feed us is cause they racists!

<3

#34 2018-07-05 19:47:11

subria

sc0rp wrote:

I don't consider it to be backdoor at all - it never happened to me.  What are you doing when you are more than 1 minute away from town and somebody just comes by and stabs you?

I see when a person back to town and say name of murder, some one will not care. Some one ask: Are u sure? because they know griefer can lie.
Do you sure that villager will curse the name what you tell them? Maybe they use their token. Maybe they want save token.

I think good guy always need take less curse point than bad guy.
If a player want curse for fun, he will fail. After 10 games, if he curse 10 players, he takes 100 points but other take 15 points. He become evil first.

#35 2018-07-05 19:56:08

YAHG

subria wrote:

I think good guy always need take less curse point than bad guy.

How would the game ever know who is good or bad?

#36 2018-07-05 20:05:25

jasonrohrer
Administrator

One more wrinkle as I work on implementing this:

You always gain a token every 2 hours, if you have 0 tokens, whether you have a curse score or not.

Curse scores will be invisible, and you don't want to think you have a token when you really don't because of a wayward curse that came your way.

So, you always go back up to 1 token every 2 hours no matter what.  I've updated the original post.

#37 2018-07-05 20:09:31

sc0rp

subria wrote:

I see when a person back to town and say name of murder, some one will not care. Some one ask: Are u sure? because they know griefer can lie.

I haven't yet seen a griefer asking somebody to stab him and then running to the town blaming somebody else.  But I may be new here... wink

INB4: New griefing meta coming.

subria wrote:

Do you sure that villager will curse the name what you tell them? Maybe they use their token. Maybe they want save token.

The beauty of this system is in herd immunity.  With non-griefers outnumbering griefers 10:1, and 2:1 ratio of curse points to curse decay, to stop serial griefer it's enough that 5% of people will believe you.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-07-05 20:10:56)

#38 2018-07-05 20:12:59

subria

YAHG wrote:

The game do not need know. Just let good guy always win.
You will ask how.
1. If bad guy use curse to destroy game or curse for fun. He can curse in 10 games but not same person. He take 100 points and other person take 15 points. Good guy win.
2. If good guy curse bad guy, he will not curse all game. He only curse in the game bad guy destroy town. He take 10 points when bad guy take 15 points. Good guy win.

So if good guy is alone and no one help him, he still win.
Bad guy will read my comment and have two choice: change behavior or shut down OHOL.

#39 2018-07-05 20:18:41

sc0rp

subria wrote:
YAHG wrote:

The game do not need know. Just let good guy always win.
You will ask how.
1. If bad guy use curse to destroy game or curse for fun. He can curse in 10 games but not same person. He take 100 points and other person take 15 points. Good guy win.
2. If good guy curse bad guy, he will not curse all game. He only curse in the game bad guy destroy town. He take 10 points when bad guy take 15 points. Good guy win.

But it's already there.  Bad guy has 1 curse token every 2 hours, good guys in town have collectively 15 curse tokens every 2 hours.

#40 2018-07-05 20:24:51

subria

sc0rp wrote:

I haven't yet seen a griefer asking somebody to stab him and then running to the town blaming somebody else.  But I may be new here... wink

INB4: New griefing meta coming.

Griefer can not stab himself and blame soneone else. But if victim die, and murder back to blame anyone he want. Do you make sure that will not happen?
With curse system 3, we will have new meta. And we have new war, war of blame. In that war, villager curse or not curse, griefer always win or draw.

sc0rp wrote:

The beauty of this system is in herd immunity.  With non-griefers outnumbering griefers 10:1, and 2:1 ratio of curse points to curse decay, to stop serial griefer it's enough that 5% of people will believe you.

How you know 5% will believe you.

#41 2018-07-05 20:28:57

YAHG

subria wrote:

How you know 5% will believe you.

People are retarded and like exercising power over others of course they will believe you.

#42 2018-07-05 20:34:21

sc0rp

I don't understand your arguments subria.  I'm just saying that if it works on average even in 5% of cases, we can stop serial griefers.  That's very low bar to pass.  I we cannot manage even that, we're are doomed regardless of the system used.

subria wrote:

Wiith curse system 3, we will have new meta.

I was half joking.  It's very hard to pull off more than once.

#43 2018-07-05 20:35:00

subria

sc0rp wrote:

But it's already there.  Bad guy has 1 curse token every 2 hours, good guys in town have collectively 15 curse tokens every 2 hours.

Jason did not say that good guy have 15 curse tokens every 2 hours. Even if he make that, curse token is not curse point. No one will use 15 curse token. But if you take less point than some one cursed, you will make them think carefully before do something bad.

#44 2018-07-05 20:37:23

sc0rp

subria wrote:

Jason did not say that good guy have 15 curse tokens every 2 hours.

15 "good guys" in town have collectively 15 curse tokens every 2 hours.

#45 2018-07-05 20:46:57

subria

sc0rp wrote:

I don't understand your arguments subria.  I'm just saying that if it works on average even in 5% of cases, we can stop serial griefers.  That's very low bar to pass.  I we cannot manage even that, we're are doomed regardless of the system used.
Wiith curse system 3, we will have new meta.

When griefer hide item and make town full of rabbit bone, we update murder to kill them. But griefer use new update to become serial killer. They destroy game again.
Now, if you give them 5% or 1% to success, they will destroy us again by another way.

That is what i want say: make curse system work with 100%.

Can you tell me: what wrong with plan 1 + fix. What will not work?

#46 2018-07-05 20:51:53

grhmhome

Lotus wrote:

This could be avoided by simply not speaking at all, but mothers could say something like “Speak, bb, or I abandon you.”

Edit: autocorrect corrected mothers to Mother’s

I like this idea because this could also apply to people who are afk. You wouldn't want to feed a person that stays afk for a while.

YAHG wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

: cursing only works on people from your lineage

This way we can still murder all the foreigners

I like this idea because you could have tribal feuds and tribal warfare
>be born to a group of barbarians >expand and help fellow barbarians >grow up and work on the farm to feed the towns people and the soldiers that raid other nearby towns

Last edited by grhmhome (2018-07-05 20:52:54)

#47 2018-07-05 21:04:51

sc0rp

Small nitpick after rereading Jason's proposal: it's the other way around.  You gain one curse point per 2 hours, but it decays at faster rate of 1 point per hour.  So with 10:1 non-griefer to griefer ratio, we need curse to be used properly in 20% of cases to stop serial griefer. But it's still low bar IMO.

#48 2018-07-05 21:07:42

sc0rp

grhmhome wrote:
YAHG wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

: cursing only works on people from your lineage

This way we can still murder all the foreigners

I like this idea because you could have tribal feuds and tribal warfare
>be born to a group of barbarians >expand and help fellow barbarians >grow up and work on the farm to feed the towns people and the soldiers that raid other nearby towns

That's the goal.  I want raids back. (We need closer towns though.)

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-07-05 21:08:06)

#49 2018-07-05 21:43:11

Lepisma

jasonrohrer wrote:

[*]Cursing an already-marked person has no effect (token not spent).[/*]
[*]When they speak the curse, everyone around them can see the speech, and it is clear whether or not the curse worked or not (special sound and label on their speech for a successfully spent curse token).  If the curse fails for whatever reason, it's just ordinary speech that has no effect, and no token is spent.[/*]
But it will depend on how badly you are cursed.  If you really make an entire village mad at you, you might get 15 points in one life, meaning you have to live 5 hours before it wears off.

Furthermore, once it finally wears off, you are back to being unmarked, but you still have 9 points.  That means that going back to griefing, and angering 10 people, will push you up to 19 points, requiring 9 hours of play to clear.

Please clarify - if you curse a person YOU have already marked before, your token is not spent? Or is it if the person is marked at all? If the token is not spent if the person is marked by anyone at all, then group curses cannot be a thing?

jasonrohrer wrote:

Curse scores will be invisible, and you don't want to think you have a token when you really don't because of a wayward curse that came your way.

Will we be able to see when we have earned a new token, or do we have to guess when we have passed two hours of gameplay?
Will tokens stack, or are they always at 0 or 1?

Last edited by Lepisma (2018-07-05 21:43:50)

#50 2018-07-05 21:48:44

TrustyWay

On discord we find that 5 hours maximum to remove the worst level of curse is nothing. Sometime on which everyone agree with. Curse shouldn't have limits.

Fewer find that it takes too much time but we will see that.

Board footer