One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-02 21:44:12

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Revisting the twins idea

Older idea:

If you want to play with a friend, you can specify their email in the client, and then wait until they are born to be born.  The two of you will be born as identical twins to the same mother.  Your village will know you are playing together, and maybe even "TWIN" will show up when they mouse over you.

Problems:

--If one dies, the other will likely suicide, making them less than ideal village members

--Most mothers won't bother with twins, and will let them both die anyway, or let one die, just to grief them.

--Team griefers could spawn together in the same town.

New twist:

--Twins are linked for life.  If one dies, the other becomes wounded with a "broken heart" and dies soon after.

This means that a mother has to take care of both or let them both die.  And team griefers can be handled by just killing one of them.

Even newer twist:

--Triplets and quadruplets.  Play with up to three friends, and all spawn together to the same mother, to live or die together.

It seems like twins could be an asset to a village in some ways.  They are likely using voice chat, so they are coordinated, and maybe can take on bigger, more complicated projects for the village.

The reality is that most people like to play multiplayer games with friends, and it adds to the "network effect" of the game.

But I don't want to subvert the main points of the game:  you can't control where you are born, and you are raised by a stranger as your mother.  Twins, triplets, and quadrulplets fits.

Total goofball idea:

--Conjoined twins.  One controls movement, the other controls chat.

#2 2018-07-02 21:57:06

MidgetMaker

Re: Revisting the twins idea

what would happen if there was no available eve to spawn to?

Last edited by MidgetMaker (2018-07-02 21:57:28)

#3 2018-07-02 22:01:50

TheRedBug

Quadruplets is a bad idea. I can manage 3 kids, but 4 is too much...

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#4 2018-07-02 22:11:28

jasonrohrer
Administrator

If no Eve, I guess they would be twin, triplet, or quadruplet Eves together?

#5 2018-07-02 22:12:17

Tarr
Banned

As long as you don't get identical twins/triplets/quadruplets it should be fine. I mean could you imagine getting four boys? That's a lot of hassle for little pay off. Always getting at least one girl born with each cluster of babies would also probably increase the likelihood for mothers to keep twins.

On the other hand, if you're going this route you might as well go big or go home. Give us octomom difficulty. Can you imagine spawning into the loading screen and hearing eight children all crying at once? Though I guess bombing a village with eight skeletons at once seems a little cruel.

fug it’s Tarr.

#6 2018-07-02 22:18:45

MidgetMaker

Quadruplet eves would be fun!  You could build a village together in no time.

#7 2018-07-02 22:33:42

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, I said they would be identical.  That would be part of the deal.

As far as quadruplet boys vs quadruplet girls....  I hadn't thought about it much.

#8 2018-07-02 23:42:51

Anshin

Multiple Eves/Adams sounds awesome!

Last edited by Anshin (2018-07-02 23:44:37)

#9 2018-07-02 23:44:34

YAHG

Feeding 4 babies at once sounds hard.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#10 2018-07-03 00:36:42

ryanb
Website

Great idea! I would love to play with friends through this.

My only concern is a higher rate of abandonment due to extra difficulty in raising multiple kids at once.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#11 2018-07-03 00:48:02

Uncle Gus

Is it compatible with your vision?

#12 2018-07-03 01:10:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, yeah, it's compatible.

It's really the only way to play together that is compatible.

You still have no control over your birth location, and still get raised by a stranger as your mother.

Two friends grappling with this situation together doesn't really subvert any important aspect of the game.  They both will be depending on this mother, and other adults in the village, to help them.

#13 2018-07-03 01:30:20

YAHG

I don't really care at all if other people in town are on voice chat etc. I enjoy doing it myself.
Playing with friends is more fun, we can shoot the shit and such instead of lollygagging about within type range.
If it changes the game a bit I don't think I would mind that either.
The most enjoyable times in this game were ones when I was on discord with other people in the village.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#14 2018-07-03 02:06:14

Lotus

+1 to revised twins.

I feel that raising three or more babies at one time would give them a huge chance of at least one of them being abandoned, and thus dooming the others with “broken heart syndrome.”

Maybe broken heart syndrome could only apply when the other twin doesn’t die as a baby or something, or of something other than starvation, since it’s a common death.

If one twin murders, the other twin could also get the handicap.

If one twin is murdered, BHS could be applied immediately, and maybe both twins could die at the same time unless one is healed.

Just some thoughts.

#15 2018-07-03 02:15:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, the problem is that if one twin starves, won't the other just suicide anyway?

#16 2018-07-03 03:04:03

forestglade

I'm not sure about the broken heart syndrome. I think people would stay a bit longer, especially if it's a great family.

In the beginning especially, we lure newbies in with the twins gimmick, I know my friend would prob want to play as a twin. But if your game is good enough, then they might want to stay and discover the game even if my char dies.

#17 2018-07-03 08:14:15

InSpace

Conjoined twins, yasss

#18 2018-07-03 08:44:11

subria

Dont make twist. If they want find new game together, they can quit. But many times, one of them die because an incident and the other want finish their job.

Ownership is the solution for everything.

#19 2018-07-03 09:03:35

Neo

Won't people get overwhelmed by groups of babies coming in on top of the current stream of babies that already exists. Maybe a longer birth cooldown when group babies are born to a mother.

There is also the matter of population, Can a newly built camp handle the sudden birth of four babies. Can Mama Eve even raise them all. Even bigger towns could suffer from armies of babies coming in and consuming everything.
Could be beneficial for a group of experienced players to team up and help a town but noobs will use this too.

The heartbreak idea is stupid, So 1 person in your group dies and your all screwed. No thanks. Everyone being identical is also an issue.

You need a healthy mix of both genders for a stable civ, tipping the balance usually leads to disaster. Boy heavy families can die out real easy, the entire civ relies on the few girls to survive. If you get bad girls who die before reproducing or if the girls are murdered then your boned. So more girls are needed to ensure a future.

But too many girls leads to overpopulation. Without enough boys the town will not have enough free hands. Tons means everyone will be constantly dealing with babies. If a baby group is female then they will be a severe baby boom when they all become fertile at oncem

Last edited by Neo (2018-07-03 09:27:03)

#20 2018-07-03 09:10:55

JonySky
Website

I see it necessary that if one dies, the twin brother must suffer the broken heart syndrome ... personally I do not have much faith in people, nor in humanity and I see 85% of possibilities of twin griefers, but I really like the idea of the twin, if people play it well, can be very interesting (for example to build houses faster)

#21 2018-07-03 10:55:44

tana

well tbh, when i play with my friends, we usually go to an empty server together, but why not ^^

One thing that would have to be added is a kind of difficulty setting, we can't really ask newbies to manage twins when they barely know what to do themselves.

So that way on the starting screen you could chose a normal mode or an experienced mode where you would accept the challenge of taking on twins. Maybe with this mode, your chances to be an eve might be a bit bigger for added challenge.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#22 2018-07-04 05:58:16

Lepisma

jasonrohrer wrote:

Well, the problem is that if one twin starves, won't the other just suicide anyway?

I wouldn't, personally - especially if born as a triplet/quadruplet. I think most people would, at minimum, finish whatever task was at hand before moving on, which wouldn't necessarily be possible with broken heart as described. Many lives are short (<20-30 years), so it would be pretty easy for the other person to play a few short lives while waiting for the living twin to die so they could start again. Maybe even add a "when available" check box so that the pair/group spawn together automatically whenever you both/all die within ~1 minute of each other?

What if broken heart wasn't applied automatically, but had a high chance of occurring at the time of the first twin's death (50+%) and then decreased a few percent per year lived (re-roll chance every minute on the 'anniversary' of the twin's death, when they're reminded of their loss - but heal with time)? Could be multiplied for each loss, too - have to roll twice if you're a triplet who's lost both your siblings, etc. and the percentage re-starts at the highest value with the most recent death. Would significantly increase the odds of larger groups dying within a short period of one another, but not make it absolute. If you've lost two siblings, then when the second one died you'd only have a 25% chance of passing both rolls and NOT having a broken heart (assuming 50% chance immediately after death and rolling once for each death; the last quadruplet, assuming they survived the years and losses between, would only have a 12.5% chance immediately after the third death).

I actually really like this idea in general, although is there a way to change the Email associated with your account? I'd love to use this, but not with the same Email I use for PayPal (and therefore currently this game).
Raising 4 kids would be a heck of a challenge, haha. I'd want to pull my hair out and at the same time be pretty determined to keep them all alive.

Fraternal twins would be nice, or a mix of identical/fraternal (so only 1 of opposite gender per 4 babies, 50/50 chance on each roll until a second gender comes up, then the rest go with the originally rolled gender? So like -
Spawn 1: 50/50 boy, 50/50 boy, 50/50 girl, automatic boy
Spawn 2: 50/50 girl, 50/50 boy, automatic girl, automatic girl
Spawn 3: 50/50 boy, 50/50 boy, 50/50 boy, 50/50 boy

Odds could be tweaked in favor of identical, obviously, so that identical is more likely to happen (50/50, 30/70, 20/80, 10/90 goes from ~6% chance of all same gender to ~30% chance, for example, if I've remembered how to do math right, and could be made even more extreme and/or combined with the aforementioned "only roll until second gender hit, then all default to first gender" idea so that even if they end up fraternal, there's only one odd man)

But even if they *have* to be identical I think it's a neat idea.

Last edited by Lepisma (2018-07-04 06:08:06)

#23 2018-07-04 06:40:31

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, maybe it doesn't have to be an email at all, but a secret phrase that you both type in that will link you.

Also, yeah, forced broken heart is a bad idea.

But I want them to be identical, so everybody knows.  Also, it's funny.

#24 2018-07-04 06:48:38

Lepisma

jasonrohrer wrote:

Also, it's funny.

Fair enough, lol

#25 2018-07-04 13:29:38

Anshin

Can multiple births update also come with birth control? (chastity belt/fertility fruit)

EDIT: ... and more character types, and a character creator!

Last edited by Anshin (2018-07-04 13:31:12)

Board footer