One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-09 10:12:17

ameliewilde

Drop in eating bonus: What are your thoughts?

I think the game became just about not starving. I have to think about food all the time.

Before the update I could easily take care of a baby as a lonely Eve while building a new settlement. Now it has become almost impossible, and only way it is possible is to just sit around a berry bush and hope your child will help you to build something as you have other children. So far 90% of my children died, I died many times, which was not the case before the update.

So am I just being a wuss or is this a problem for you too?

#2 2018-03-09 11:02:20

Tanelorn

Re: Drop in eating bonus: What are your thoughts?

It is possible that we haven't worked out the best strategy yet for surviving and thriving.  For example, are you wearing clothes?  If you're naked, you consume 3 items of food for every 1 item of food you would consume if clothed.  Therefore, sitting by a berry bush isn't going to be a very good long-term strategy, and it might be better to focus on hunting rabbits for fur.

#3 2018-03-09 11:11:23

vilka

Well considering you start out naked, it's kind of hard to get clothed while starving. You go from berry bush to berry bush trying to get the part you need to start hunting and finding milkweed to even make clothes. You can either run around naked and try to build up a food supply so you offspring can live and use up all the food or try to get clothed and most likely die of starvation before you get pants on.

I have been trying all night to give this update a chance but I'm with ameliewilde, game has turned into how long you can go before starving and thats usually 5 mins. Taken the fun right out of the game for me.

#4 2018-03-09 11:12:40

Potjeh

Milkweed is next to nonexistent, so clothing is kinda hard to make.

#5 2018-03-09 11:18:06

ameliewilde

I aggree with vilka. Of course I know clothing is important, but I could only get a top or two after this update, while taking care of babies and trying to establish one plot of farm to not to starve.

#6 2018-03-09 11:19:05

Turnspender

Very doable I think. The world will develop (and reset) and users going to learn, so it's going to be okay. And I really hope this game is about not starving. There's too much "survival" games in which starvation is relevant only in the first 20 minutes.

You can abandon babies too. Raising babies is hard, and should be.

#7 2018-03-09 11:23:08

Twinsen

Turnspender wrote:

Very doable I think. The world will develop (and reset) You can abandon babies too. Raising babies is hard, and should be.

Jason isn't likely to reset the world unless the world is seriously crowded with items that he has to do a wipe; and recently, he just discover a bug that increase lag so he's going to fix it instead. So the world is going to get more chaotic and harder to survive; it's not as simple as moving to new places because the spawning mechanic always get you near those existing settlement, thus even though you spawn as Eve, you are very likely just die around those abandoned old settlement without rabbit, milkweed, and tools (because people trying to evacuate).

Last edited by Twinsen (2018-03-09 11:23:49)

#8 2018-03-09 11:43:50

mrfox

Agreed it makes things very much harder. I wonder what the vision is for the future here - whether jason wants us to go beyond being carrot farmers into larger societies or he wants to keep adjusting the equilibrium so neolithic society is a constant struggle to maintain. The new soil issues are what gets me. I can get a farm going and get clothed on my own (though only if I ignore babies), but I can't manage composting as well.

I really wish some quality of life changes would be made for things like talking, the viewport handling, item stacking, item management etc. If it's just going to get harder and harder then the fiddliness of the UI gets much more difficult to put up with.

Last edited by mrfox (2018-03-09 11:49:44)

#9 2018-03-09 12:16:30

lesslucid

It seems there are many more new players now? When I spawn as an Eve it seems like most of my kids - no matter how much I try to take care of them - just doom themselves. And when I spawn as a baby the mothers don't know how to take care of me either. Combination of new players and tougher mechanics feels pretty punishing. I don't mind having mechanics that make farming less sustainable than it initially appears, but at the moment I think if you can get a fire going, living purely off rabbits is actually more viable...

#10 2018-03-09 12:17:42

Twinsen

lesslucid wrote:

It seems there are many more new players now?

Yes, 3 hours ago, the server was actually full. I am shocked to see that message.

#11 2018-03-09 12:26:47

ameliewilde

mrfox wrote:

Agreed it makes things very much harder. I wonder what the vision is for the future here - whether jason wants us to go beyond being carrot farmers into larger societies or he wants to keep adjusting the equilibrium so neolithic society is a constant struggle to maintain. The new soil issues are what gets me. I can get a farm going and get clothed on my own (though only if I ignore babies), but I can't manage composting as well.

I really wish some quality of life changes would be made for things like talking, the viewport handling, item stacking, item management etc. If it's just going to get harder and harder then the fiddliness of the UI gets much more difficult to put up with.

I actually got that feeling from his last article, that he doesn't want people to get too comfortable. But I really don't see how you can keep the game play enjoyable if you are stuck struggling in the first stage.

I thought it would be a perfect balance of struggle and development with the changes to farm mechanics, if we had the eating bonus at three. Because new system already makes it more challenging to have a steady supply of food.

#12 2018-03-10 05:52:19

ameliewilde

OMG yes, Jason said he put the eating bonus back to 3. <3

#13 2018-03-10 06:12:04

Twinsen

ameliewilde wrote:

I thought it would be a perfect balance of struggle and development with the changes to farm mechanics, if we had the eating bonus at three. Because new system already makes it more challenging to have a steady supply of food.

Game balancing is hard, especially there aren't enough empirical data from only around 200+ active users.

Board footer