One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-25 04:15:38

Uncle Gus

You guys want armour? Very well. I have made armour.

A number of people wanted armour in the game, and combat in general. After having a good natter with Blue Rock, we came up with a system that should work, and it does.

Using this new system, transitions can be created between weapons and clothing objects to define that clothing as being able to block that weapon. This combines with the uses and the use chance mechanisms so that a piece of clothing can have say four uses, and a percentage chance to take damage when blocking an attack. Damage can appear on the object. It can eventually break and turn into something else or just disappear altogether.

Because it is by clothing object, and the hit body part is randomly determined, it is important to cover every body part with armour, and some body parts more so than others; you're not as likely to be hit in the leg as you are to be hit in the chest.

The backpack slot is being multi-purposed as the arms slot, so that we can have shields and weapons. (Not sure how two handed weapons will work).

Because the transitions are defined between the weapon and the armour, we can do things like have mail armour block swords but not arrows, and plate armour block swords and arrows but not bullets.

The code change is very simple and only affects a small section of one file, so should be very easy to implement and leaves all the configuration in the hands of the content creator. Given that Sammoh is working hard on a set of combat changes, I'm pretty sure I can convince him to include this change smile

#2 2018-06-25 04:49:59

YAHG

Re: You guys want armour? Very well. I have made armour.

Sounds cool to me.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#3 2018-06-25 05:28:22

Uncle Gus

Added a scalar variable so that armour can be made to be relatively more likely to be hit. e.g. shield.

#4 2018-06-25 14:23:07

Kinrany

Yay, characters in OHOL finally have two hands :P

Last edited by Kinrany (2018-06-25 14:23:15)

#5 2018-06-25 19:07:44

Uncle Gus

Kind of tongue

The idea is either that you cannot wear a backpack and a shield at the same time or that you combine the backpack and shield into one item then wear it. I prefer the former;who wears a backpack into battle?

Board footer