One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-08 18:43:26

Daebak

[Suggestion] Tutorial

I've been playing at very least 5 hours and died countless times, but yet I am not able to figure what to get to combine the natural sources to create a stable life.

So I do suggest a solo tutorial for new players learning what recources can be crafted into something.
To get general purposes items and having your first farm. Both of it from scratch.
The purpose of this suggestion solo tutorial:
- Recognize the natural resources you see on your screen.
- Newbie friendly game.
- Better civilized cooperation (teamwork).

#2 2018-03-08 19:05:59

xoomorg

Re: [Suggestion] Tutorial

Daebak, I have been pushing the idea of having the more experienced players build "ready-to-go" tiny farms all over the map, to ease things for new players.  This is an example of one I built recently, intended as a viable farm that can sustain a new farmer and let them expand a little if they want.  Also note the baskets of carrots ready to keep you fed while you kick-start the farm.

DlfmoQF.jpg

Would that meet some of your goals as a sort of more hands-on tutorial?

Last edited by xoomorg (2018-03-08 19:06:18)

#3 2018-03-08 19:29:27

ned

This might not be a popular opinion, but I feel like
a) if you don't want to figure out the game through its normal mechanisms (or if you have bad teachers, which is understandable)
b) if you can't piece together the recipes (which can take a couple hours but pays big dividends in the long run), or
c) if you can't read the wiki (a really good starter guide exists there), then
you probably won't enjoy the game in the long run.

That said, if your goal is to have a "stable" life, you won't be very happy either. The fun comes in the struggle to survive, not in the automation of mundane tasks. It's like the dark souls of survival games, imo.

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#4 2018-03-09 00:03:07

Matok

First, try to get some clothes. It is amazing how much this helps you survive. I believe that if you're at the ideal temperature, you consume food 3.5 x less than if you're naked. That gives you a lot more time to explore and figure things out because there's a lot less time spent stuffing your face to stay alive. You won't always have clothes readily available where you're born, but if you do spot some clothes, grab them and put them on as soon as you're able to do so.

Once you're not frantically looking for berries and carrots anymore, you can spend some time picking things up and tabbing through the recipe hints in the lower right corner to figure out what things are used for. I've tried to learn mostly from that and from watching others. I learned how to build a campfire from watching someone do it on the first day that I played, then mimicked what they did in my next life and successfully did it myself while someone was watching me, and that was a really neat experience that I can say I haven't had in other games. The tutorial is just keeping your eyes open and watching what is happening around you.

#5 2018-03-09 06:11:19

Petro Leum

Please no Tutorial! This game lives from you being completely helpless at the start and learning life by life, by observing, trial and error, and getting taught by parents and partners!

#6 2018-03-09 06:55:13

Portager

I enjoy learning from the older generations quite a bit, and by trial and error.

With that being said, many civs assume that their newborns already know the ins and outs and are not too eager to lend a helping hand. This can lead to long term sustainability issues, because things like fire making take multiple steps, and if you do not know how to do it then you are basically SOL depending upon where you spawn. If you are lucky, somebody will teach you, but most of the time you will be left to either die or do menial labor like fetching water. Once the older gen is gone, you are then expected to maintain their way of life, and if you do not know basic skills then everyone's hard work is lost.

Perhaps the optimal solution would be a special sandbox server where you do not have to worry about hunger, and you can take time to learn how to craft. This server could be purged nightly so as not to become a major burden on the system or ruin the core values of the game.

#7 2018-03-09 09:49:52

Zenchess

I like the idea of a sandbox server with hunger turned WAY down.  I'll probably set one up tomorrow.

#8 2018-03-09 16:36:40

Portager

Zenchess wrote:

I like the idea of a sandbox server with hunger turned WAY down.  I'll probably set one up tomorrow.

If you set one up, drop us the info.

Board footer