#26 2018-06-18 12:13:34

breezeknight

Re: Little things that need fixing.

* raw meat food - bear, rabbit, mutton mixed with onion
onion option to cultivate please !!!
onion & raw meat to be chopped with different tools, sharp stone, knife, ax
mixed in bowl & on flat rock
just to have more options for beginner settlements & nomadic life

* still waiting for the medicine to arrive !!!

* at least some of the things made should display who made the last step, would indicate who might be a griffer
was yesterday in a town where someone wasted milkweed on two snares with not much use but there was lack of carts & buckets oc

* there should be some other options to make those buckets & carts
milkweed is too nerfed atm, it takes too much effort to make ropes
an excellent opportunity to grief efficiently

* & please ! put stop to those sheep & other pens with trash pits or even graves !
i appreciate @pein's efforts to write a guide, but those options are still just silly & look horrible
& with graves it's barbaric, we need more value to life not less in OHOL

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-06-18 12:21:23)

#27 2018-06-18 21:23:46

Anshin

- Flooring should bring the temperature towards the middle, rather than heating things up all the time. It should insulate, not generate heat.

#28 2018-06-19 00:07:45

Valences42

JackTreehorn wrote:
Valences42 wrote:
JackTreehorn wrote:

-Make threshed wheat like tinder

like, chaff that you can burn? 

As in, wheat sheaf + curved branch = straw, grain and chaff?

Yeah like that, but no chaff. Instead the straw is then able to be lit on fire with ember leaf or firebrand.
The only problem i could see with chaff is that it's only use would be as tinder and might add to the litter.

I was thinking this could help when all surrounding trees are chopped and you are trying to remake the fire.
Seems like a fair compromise, Lose the wheat that would be used for dirt or basket to gain tinder. Tinder is essentially worthless, until late game where it can be really hard to find close enough for it not to despawn in time.

I like the idea of extra tinder for when the juniper trees get chopped down, but I would like for all three things to show up.  Maybe it's because I'm stuck wanting basket/compost material... lol.  I do see your point about clutter though.

#29 2018-06-19 00:09:56

Valences42

breezeknight wrote:

* at least some of the things made should display who made the last step, would indicate who might be a griffer

That's interesting.  I wonder if it would be hard to code?  Hmm.

#30 2018-06-19 01:22:11

Izzytok

Anshin wrote:

- Flooring should bring the temperature towards the middle, rather than heating things up all the time. It should insulate, not generate heat.

Flooring does insulate, and it generates no heat. Oddly, the way insulation works, it insulates you from neighbouring tiles. That's a weird thing for a floor to do if you ask me. In most cases, flooring should bring you closer to the middle, since your character generates some heat. That is, unless it's on desert in which case it should just get you even hotter, the same way clothing does.

I thought it was funny I actually thought about how the floors need fixing, and was thinking about a way to do it by making floors generate heat instead of insulating. Honest question: What made you think floors generate heat?

On topic, I'll agree with anshin that floors need fixing.

#31 2018-06-19 01:26:18

YAHG

What if floors just lessened the effect of the environmental tiles sorta like how houses and stuff work irl?

Expensive buildings should be good for houses. Even stone age people made houses.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#32 2018-06-19 01:39:58

Izzytok

YAHG wrote:

What if floors just lessened the effect of the environmental tiles sorta like how houses and stuff work irl?

Expensive buildings should be good for houses. Even stone age people made houses.

That's something I'd like to see, but it would need a rebalance of most of the tiles, since the temperate, swamp, desolate, and prairie tiles are all neutral as far as temperature goes. The way I understand the code, it would take a pretty major rewrite to separate heat produced on the tile and heat produced by the player, so that floors would insulate the player from the environment and not from himself or a local heat source.

My personal gripe about the way the floors work right now (I've written about this in a few threads), is that they limit heat flow. They literally make a heated room - an enclosed space with a fire - colder! Floors insulate the tile they are on from neighbouring tiles, like they were a heat wall of some sort. What happens then, when you put a fire in a floored room, is that it keeps the heat at the fire, and less around the room. That slow fire that was the perfect temperature outside? "Wall" it in with floors - BAM - now it's too hot. Not by much, mind you, floors don't insulate by a lot, but still, it's not the way floors are supposed to work...

Alright rant over.

Last edited by Izzytok (2018-06-19 01:40:37)

#33 2018-06-19 14:33:03

Christoffer
Website

YAHG wrote:

@Anshin, YAHG, Izzytok
Regarding floors and temperature, please have a look at my June 19th post in this thread and let me know what you think: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1544
Also mentioned in Jason's CORE thread: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2184

#34 2018-06-19 18:20:32

Turnipseed

A stone hoe needs to last a little bit longer

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#35 2018-07-30 13:04:55

Anshin

* Broken steel tools don't go in a hand cart.
* Bow and arrow don't fit in horse-drawn cart.

Last edited by Anshin (2018-07-30 13:48:16)

#36 2018-07-31 06:11:54

FeverDog

Anshin wrote:

- I know you don't like the idea of baby carrying

Jason, what's wrong with baby carrying?  Fairly rudimentary tech that would be very helpful.  Just one piece of cloth is needed.

#37 2018-07-31 06:22:23

Doctor Steve

add dead lambs to wet compost in order to make it composting compost? at least it would give us something to do with all the dead lambs.

#38 2018-07-31 11:32:04

WalrusesConquer

FeverDog wrote:

Jason, what's wrong with baby carrying?  Fairly rudimentary tech that would be very helpful.  Just one piece of cloth is needed.

In the real world having a baby is a huge sacrifice, but in the game we just have to feed it for 3 minutes

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#39 2018-07-31 12:56:36

Anshin

In real life taking care of babies is not that hard. They aren't a huge sacrifice, they're the whole point of doing anything. Baby carriers exist. Denying them because "babies should be more annoying" is a cultural attitude (and a mighty self defeatist one at that) where the West has been raised with divisive anti-generational attitudes. Everyone is pitted against everyone else because lonely people make easily manipulated wage slaves. It's important to set a good example whenever possible, and denying a tech because people might enjoy their experience together too much is wrong. Those three game minutes represent 3 years. Yep, it's not that bad. Those berry sponges? Kids do sponge before they figure life out, and we have to survive all those many years while they do. We need those things that bring us together, because the drive to create higher tech will bring it's own difficulty. We shouldn't start life with a negative attitude towards each other. We developed baby carriers so our hands could be free. Free to work, and teach, and set an example for those babies so that they may have a head start in learning all they need to know. Those baby carriers are Tutorial 2.0 and are an essential part of learning how to work together.

#40 2018-08-01 03:21:15

FeverDog

WalrusesConquer wrote:
FeverDog wrote:

In the real world having a baby is a huge sacrifice, but in the game we just have to feed it for 3 minutes

Point taken (and I realize you're only the messenger) but counterpoint is that an Eve wouldn't be able to manage the agricultural tech behind it as a gatherer and so would still experience the sacrifice you describe, in particular if she's alone.  However, a new mother in an agricultural town with a family network and easy access to woven cotton, silk, wool or straw, wouldn't experience the same sacrifice IRL and so shouldn't be penalized by not having access to it.

#41 2018-08-01 04:30:14

Anshin

* Bowl of Corn Kernels don't fit in horse-drawn cart (and presumably carts and boxes.)

- I was trying to raise some domestic pigs in a village off from the main town, and couldn't bring back a bowl of corn via horse & cart the way I could with bowls of berries and carrot for sheep.

#42 2018-09-07 13:10:09

Anshin

Sharp Stone + Flint = Flint Chips

Those flint chips are in a pile of five, and if you remove one you can put it back on the pile,
BUT if you take a chip and put it down somewhere else you cannot rebuild the pile in the new spot.

This is a problem because if you need to clear flint from a spot you have to clutter up five other spots to do it.

#43 2018-09-07 13:34:30

S0mbre

Will be great to be able to repair broken stuff. In real life, in those time, you don't buy or craft a new tool/cart if the old is broken. You try first to repair your old tool/cart.

Will be great to do thing with horse hair.

Mammoth in ice land for making huge fur to clothes everyone. Need a trap to kill him like in stone age. And have a ton of meat. Using ivory to make stuff.

Last edited by S0mbre (2018-09-07 13:47:45)

#44 2018-09-07 18:07:07

Booklat1

I don't see why someone wouldn't eat predators. People eat anything that is food as long as it wont kill them (and sometimes even if it will).

I think seals and wolves should be easy to eat (could take chunks of meat with knife or sharp stone) but demand a fire and not be really efficient food sources overall. I would also like a flint and steel item that didn't need leaves for a fire. would make camping in savannahs viable after towns had enough steel.

Overall the whole hunting thing should be buffed, I think. If not for balancing it at least for fun.

ps: More uses for pork would also be swell.

#45 2018-09-07 23:01:15

VioletLily

If we can't eat the carcasses of predators, could we at least move them? I've seen bears die on stone roads too often recently.

#46 2018-09-07 23:07:21

Catfive

Babies able to travel in carts if pulled by adult would be awesome and lead to many entertaining scenarios..

Board footer